NBA 23/24: how many Dames in a Buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBA 23/24: how many Dames in a Buck?

The final big move of the off-season has just taken place, with Damian Lillard not joining the Heat or the Raptors, but instead going to Milwaukee. Giannis and Dame together...look out.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1707097159731138830

https://twitter.com/nihilist_bucks/status/1709584007317327888

Comment

Practice

Comment

One of the all time great sports interviews. "We talkin' 'bout practice. Practice! How'm I gonna make my teammates better with practice?!?

The sheer incredulity in his voice is gold.

Comment

if only this was real.

Highlights from Wemby's first preseason game:

Getting beaten by Jalen Williams but still managing to get the block was the most impressive for me. I wonder if he still needs to improve his footwork and make adjustments more quickly, but if you can beat him off the dribble you're still not safe going to the basket with that wingspan.

Comment

Hey, fancy that!

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1712213222441333118

Comment

Is that data in a peer-reviewed forum?

Comment

Currently no mention of that in the article, or if that question was even posed to Dumars:

In a stunning development, a top NBA official said teams’ general practice of resting players to prevent future injury and extend careers — commonly known as “load management,” a term ingrained into the lexicon of the sport over the past several years as some of the biggest stars missed huge amounts of games — is no longer supported by scientific data held by the league.

“Before, it was a given conclusion that the data showed that you had to rest players a certain amount, and that justified them sitting out,” Joe Dumars, executive vice president of basketball operations for the NBA, said.

“We’ve gotten more data, and it just doesn’t show that resting, sitting guys out correlates with lack of injuries, or fatigue, or anything like that,” Dumars said. “What it does show is maybe guys aren’t as efficient on the second night of a back to back.”
                It says that the article will be updated--currently there's no mention on how this statement was made.

Comment

It’s not remotely even slightly stunning that the league would tell it’s teams to play it’s stars every game and claim there’s no reason whatsoever to think about making the season shorter.

The Athletic should not be so credulous.

Comment

Nuggets picked up where they left off, beating the Lakers in Denver. Jokic is one triple double behind Lebron and Jason Kidd on the all time list with his 106th last night. He's played 597 games to get to 106. Kidd played 1391 games, LeBron 1422.

Comment

Comment

In case you were wondering with bated breath, won’t be able to do the schedule/scores this year.

Comment

Got some nosebleed seats for Spurs v. Clippers last night. I feel like Wemby is going to have one amazing game and then two or three games where he looks like a rookie on a bad team, which is what he is. Clippers shut him down pretty well, but no one around him was really contributing all that much either--he had about three really good passes from the top of the key down low, but the guys he passed two couldn't score. He can do things that don't show up on the stat sheet, though--you could see the Clippers needing to adjust their passing just to simply get the ball away from his wingspan, and making it hard for the Clips to go up for a rebound.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1718976068529340589

Comment

When the NHL makes these kinds of deals, there's a lot of blowback about how stupid and out-of-touch they are. When the NBA does it, it's innovative and "just where the market is going..."

Comment

He's reached his spiritual home

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1719242635972337916

Comment

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1720413725117575276?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Not strictly basketball but James Dolan is still finding ways to fuck things up spectacularly.

https://twitter.com/MedcalfByESPN/status/1722614947136565284

Comment

The Clippers gave the Grizz their second win of the season, and LAC are now 0-4 since acquiring Harden.

I'm not sure why a guy who covers the Mavs went in on Harden, but this is no lies detected territory for me:

https://twitter.com/NBAdasMina/status/1723200062568739047

If you want the version with the Ether instrumental, here it is: https://twitter.com/yungmustard23/st...62048618434895

Comment

I watched the Clippers lose against an injury ravaged Nets team and couldn't believe how bad they looked. Harden is averaging 13ppg in the first four games (albeit, he hasn't played full-tilt basketball for months) but this could be beyond bad.

I agree its random that the Dallas PxP guy is chipping in here but it feels like its open season now. I appreciate there is going to be recency bias but when I think back to previous boneheaded front office moves like the Nets trading for Garnett and Pierce or the the final Kobe Bryant extension, people mocked it but there wasn't a line of respected, high-profile NBA media absolutely roasting one individual like this.

Again, the maddening thing was Harden could have just stayed, been an awesome second option for the Sixers and then picked a contender this summer to finish his career with.

HUBRIS!

Comment

How long before Wemby is scoring 3 point dunks?

Comment

I love when a aspect of the game is weaponized or taken to the next level. Kind of how Maradona could juggle a ball off his thighs and head at a full sprint, this enabling him to get through defenses like no one else could before or since.

Wemby has weaponized the alley oop in the sense the window is like a hula-hoop sized rim. You can lob it farther away from the rim and at a time earlier or later than for any other player. If there’s a stat for alley oop dunks, he will blow through it like Steph blew through the all-time 3 mark.

its like Randy Moss or Odell Beckham (for 2 seasons at least) could make the window to make a catch so much bigger.

It’s terrifying to think if he had played with CP3.

Comment

How do we feel about the In-Season Tournament. I don't like the new floors. Perhaps it's possible to get used to, but I find it harder to follow the action.

Comment

I think it is pretty naff; I don't like the floors either for the same reason and it doesn't help that the a lot of players are also confused about what this is meant to be. There's been various stories about the new courts accidently not having regulation 3pt lines and Piston players were getting pissed at Embiid the other night because he kept trying to score in a blow-out game because he assumed that total points scored would be some kind of factor in the 'group stage' qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                                  Wemby has weaponized the alley oop in the sense the window is like a hula-hoop sized rim. You can lob it farther away from the rim and at a time earlier or later than for any other player. If there’s a stat for alley oop dunks, he will blow through it like Steph blew through the all-time 3 mark.

It’s terrifying to think if he had played with CP3.
                                                  He's not prime-years Chris Paul but Spurs have a perfectly solid pass-first guard in Tre Jones. I don't know, man-- the whole 'Sochan experiment at point guard' feels more about discreet tanking than playing positionless basketball. The Spurs obviously have this idiosyncratic aura to them but they have cap room, picks and tradable contracts, plus a HOF coach; I don't get why they won't be more pro-active.

Also, poor Wemby got done up last night. By Duncan freaking Robinson no less.

https://twitter.com/SRochesterNBA/status/1723886444412895539?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1723894032890306748%7Ctwgr%5Ed44f8987e514b3e8204ff47fb56d51a1c4280d28%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fheatnation.com%2Fteam-news%2Fmiami-heat-fans-continue-to-celebrate-duncan-robinson-cooking-victor-wembanyama-during-heat-spurs-game%2F

Comment

Working...
                                                  X