NFL '13 - Road to the Soprano Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to see a Venn diagram of people who commented on Facebook about A&E not respecting the Duck Dynasty guy's First Amendment rights and those who want to boycott Coke because they had languages other than English in a commercial. It may be a perfect circle.

Comment

Bruno wrote: Conservatives just don't want it shoved down their throats that that's what Coke is doing. They really hate the shoving down throats thing.
      It jest ain't natural!

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: Coke's advertising department is obviously run by Mexican fascist Muslim terrorists.
        I was shouting at the TV during the advert, asking for someone in a Burka. That would have really got the conservatives going.

Comment

Denver taken apart brick by brick.

Comment

It's so funny that I completely forgot about Jerome Kearse's astonishing TD, which would have been the most legendary TD had it mattered in any other game instead of putting someone up by 30+ points.

Shades of Mark Ingram.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: See this for a brief history of the lovely man. Depressingly, and I suppose predictably, the Dolphins organisation seems to be siding with Incognito and circling the wagons. The NFL has a pretty toxic macho culture, the problems with which seem to be becoming more and more evident in recent years.
              An independent report has come out, finding Incognito and two other players responsible for a pattern of harassment and abuse against Martin, and another teammate. Even worse, it seems that at least one Dolphins coach also took part in this taunting:

http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-from-the-dolphins-investigation-updati-1522846626

Comment

Gridiron culture really is toxic.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Gridiron culture really is toxic.
                  Yeah, it's one of many reasons I'm trying to turn my son into a soccer snob. I really don't want him to play American football what with the bullying and head injuries.

Comment

My son saw a number of YAFL (Young American Football League) practices at our nearby park as we were working on soccer skills. The practices were nothing compared to my high school days (I still cringe thinkin of 'bull in the ring'), but kids were still berated mercilessly. The worst bit was when a kid screwed up a play (missed a block, tackle, that sort of thing) and the entire team had to do pushups, sprints or some other collective punishment.

Those practices were enough to abandon any idea of playing competitive tackle football and that was fine with me.

Comment

Good coaches know that's a stupid tactic. It's dumb to us conditioning as punishment. That just makes kids hate it. If somebody screws up, just run the play over and over until they get it right.

Comment

You're right, of course, Reed, but I live in Texas, where the chances of getting a mean sumbitch football coach are quite high.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose. That's why those guys are still coaching in high school and not college or the NFL

Comment

Reed John wrote: Good coaches know that's a stupid tactic. It's dumb to us conditioning as punishment. That just makes kids hate it. If somebody screws up, just run the play over and over until they get it right.
                            The wild thing is that if a team has say 25-30 kids, there are at least 6-8 parent coaches and probably around 30-40 parents/siblings/relatives present at every practice. Talk about helicopter parents.

Comment

For a practice???

Comment

Renart wrote: You're right, of course, Reed, but I live in Texas, where the chances of getting a mean sumbitch football coach are quite high.
                                Here's how to handle that.

Comment

Holy shit. NLRB sides with Northwestern players.

Comment

What would it mean for the draft system if this happened (and set a precedent)?

I mean, if they're classed as employees, won't they have to sign contracts if they achieve that status? If so, would being picked in the draft then lead to contracts having to be exchanged between their 'current' employers and their potential new ones?

Comment

Not sure what it means for the draft, but the NCAA / BCS must be terrified.

Comment

Don't they generally sign contracts anyway? Just not employment ones.

Comment

One of these, I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                          X