Rugby's favourite sons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby's favourite sons

In the first test between New Zealand and South Africa, the All Blacks' Brad Thorn spear-tackled John Smit (off the ball!), injuring him in the process and putting him out for the rest of the Tri-Nations. Arsehole referee Dickinson watched the thing, and did nothing. Thorn was cited, and received a one-match ban.

In the second test, Smit's replacement, Bismarck du Plessis, gouged somebody's eyes. He was cited and received a 3-week ban.

Du Plessis' suspension is entirely fair. But it's not proportionate in light of Thorn's assault on Smit. The only conclusion one can draw is that different standards are applied to All Blacks than they are to others. The fucking favourites of the auhorities. Imagine the over=reaction had Schalk Burger spear-tackled Dan Carter.

Rugby's favourite sons

Why were there two consecutive NZ v SA games in New Zealand? Or am I more ignorant on the normal structure of the Tri-Nations than I realised?

Comment

Rugby's favourite sons

I thought this thread would be about me.

(I didn't)

Comment

Rugby's favourite sons

No, it isn't you. It's a weird new format this season, where they play a total of nine matches, with each country getting three at home.

South Africa get two home matches against Australia, and Australia two against the All Blacks (two months apart).

Comment

Rugby's favourite sons

Was it ever thus, G-Man.

Mind you, Burger's a nasty piece of work. His "tackle" on Williams (who's no angel, see Lewsey J) was awful.

Bloody good match and proof that the ELVs aren't the try manufacturing product that John Cretin O'Neill wants, the fucking cuntbag. If he wants to spilt away from the World Cup and have endless Tri-Nations competitions bewteen the SANZAR nations because we naughty NH types refuse to welcome them with open arms, let him try. I'm fairly certain SA and NZ might want to keep their chance at the top prize. If he's a got a problem with football and League and TV ratings, let him deal with it in Austalia, not throw his toys out of his pram because the rest of the world has some reservations about the IRB's EXPERIMENTAL Law Variations (not an Aussie plot!).

Of the three tries in the match, only Pietersen's could be said to be a proper "ELV" one, using the 5m scrum rule to work the blindside. The other two were a well worked phase possession followed by a great offlad and run to the line and a piece of individual brilliance.

It's also arugable whether Du Plessis "gouged" as his fist was clenched shut. Certainly when it's up against the near fatal spearing of BOD, one has to wonder.

Comment

Rugby's favourite sons

Two All Blacks also speared Brian O'Driscoll into the ground in the opening seconds of the first Test on the Lions tour three years ago. O'Driscoll was stretchered off in considerable pain, missed the entire series as a result, and has hardly had a good game for Ireland since.

Comment

Rugby's favourite sons

To be fair, BOD's reduction in effectiveness has a lot to do with his knackered hamstrings robbing him of a lot of his pace - contrast his carving up of the Aussies on the Lions tour back in 2001 with his inability to finish his break in the recent Ireland vs. Australia match. In the old days, he'd have cruised home with no effort.

I think he'd now be more effective as a 12 using his lower pace for the half (rather than full) break and his handling to set the outside backs free when the tackles come his way.

Comment

Working...
              X