Athletes being grounded and realistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athletes being grounded and realistic

Thread title meant unironically - we are so much more likely to be steered towards interviews or similar content where a sportsperson says something outrageous, blinkered, massively egotistical, whatever. So how about gathering together some examples of level headed and balanced responses to set-backs and challenges?

As a starter I offer you Joel Makin (Wales) interviewed after losing the final of the Canary Wharf Classic (a full world tour Squash event) at the weekend:
    http://twitter.com/PSAWorldTour/status/1637131726823538688

And also British Olympic gold medalist hockey goalie Maddie Hinch (one of the all-time greats) talking to the BBC about her retirement from the international game:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/hockey/65017567

Hello Giannis.

Comment

I don't know anything about Makin, but am certain that Giannis' life experience is a major reason why he is able to experience and communicate that sense of perspective.

It also demonstrates an unusual understanding and respect between a player and a beat writer. I don't think that just anyone would have elicited that response.

Comment

I love these kind of interviews

Comment

If you're a podcasts sort of person, I can recommend Mitch Docker's Life in the Peloton show generally, but in particular this week's episode in which he interviews 2022 Giro d'Italia champion Jai Hindley, a 26yo from Perth WA who is Australia's second only Grand Tour winner after Cadel Evans.

Hindley seems like an utterly normal guy who is very appreciative of the various opportunities he had and the position he is in, plus honest about his ambition.

Comment

Most of the ultra runners are super humble and supporting people that post about their challenges. Recently a young (great) mountain runner, Dani Moreno, was very open on her disappointment on missing an Olympic Qualifying Time on the Boston Marathon, even though she has zero road marathon experience.

they talk a lot about their injuries, bad rehab and it all. Generally the less money in prizes available the nicer the athletes are.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              Most of the ultra runners are super humble and supporting people that post about their challenges. Recently a young (great) mountain runner, Dani Moreno, was very open on her disappointment on missing an Olympic Qualifying Time on the Boston Marathon, even though she has zero road marathon experience.

they talk a lot about their injuries, bad rehab and it all. Generally the less money in prizes available the nicer the athletes are.
              My experience with (non-elite) ultra runners* completely tallies with this. The people I know aren't winning Leadville or anything, but they're always more interested in helping each other out than trying to finish up the field, are totally humble and you have to actually work to find out what they did. You'll hear them say things like "I didn't run over the weekend" only to discover that they meant they didn't race but they went out into the mountains to pace a friend for 50 miles of the 100 miler, or whatever crazy stuff they do. Also, when I've done support help for "normal" runners quite a lot have been quite rude and offensive and demanding and pushy and ungrateful. Ultrarunners are always supremely nice and kind and considerate when coming through feed stations. I wonder if it's the mentality of doing extreme stuff that makes you like this, or whether it's spending hours solo with your own thoughts just makes you nicer to others.

* The ones I know in real life. Obviously, caja-dglh might be horrible.

Comment

Boris Becker was remarkably humble after going out early in 1987 Wimbledon. "It's just a tennis match." Maybe he was in shock because he was a prick on court throughout his career and obviously not humble in his later business practices.

Comment

Working...
                X