Fosbury flops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fosbury flops

Dick Fosbury, arguably the most influential high-jumper of my lifetime is dead at 76. RIP

That is a shame

He absolutely revolutionised the discipline.

Kid these days think the Western Roll is an egg sandwich.

RIP

Comment

I don't think kids these days think about the high jump too much.

Comment

More of them than do than when I was a kid, because it was not a girl's/women's discipline back then.

Fosbury's innovation is not unconnected with that.

Comment

Admirable timing in tonight's Only Connect.

Comment

I thought it was the landing mat which enabled the Fosbury Flop- impossible into sand

Comment

That accounted for it's eventual popularity for sure. But Fosbury began using it when sand or sawdust were still commonplace. He suffered compressed vertebrae as a result.

Comment

I get him mixed up with Dwight Stones, who was the one I actually saw. All I really remember is the TV commentators (Ron Pickering?) telling us if an athlete was going to straddle or flop, during that period when styles were in transition.

RIP.

Comment

I didn’t see Fosbury’s 1968 Olympics win on the telly: too young to stay up for the BBC live coverage.

Interestingly, the ‘72 Olympic champ used the straddle rather than the flop.

I tried High Jump at secondary school in the 70s, and was the least worst in my year at it so got to represent the school at the annual district meets. But I stuck to the straddle technique as the landing area was just a shallow sandpit, and was nowhere near good enough to compete with other local jumpers from some other schools, who mainly used the roll that I never mastered.

Comment

This sets a new personal record for 'people you thought died years ago'. I just assumed - likely from his name and indeed the phrase 'Fosbury flop' - that he was active in the 1920s/30s and so was dead or very old by the time our PE teacher mentioned him.

Comment

Seems like was a proper mensch/bro/righteous dude as well. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                      X