MLB 2023: The shift got clocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    These days most people think the Mission burrito is the regular burrito.
    I think that's true for most people outside California. The Southern California style burrito has historically been refried beans, cheese, and either a red or green sauce. Maybe the fancier version of that is lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. At a fast food level, Taco Bell's Bean and Cheese is the Southern California variety and Chipotle is the SF (or Mission) style variety.

The funny thing about this guy opening his shop is that Benny's Burritos had been doing Mission style for a long time, so it's not like the burrito was foreign to New Yorkers even if they didn't know the name. But Google tells me Benny's is closed. And I don't know if there ever were any Benny's in Brooklyn. I went to the West and East Village locales.

Comment

I don't think that there was (though there were/are definitely Mission style places in Brooklyn before this one).

The East Village Benny's closed about ten years ago; the West Village one last year.

They had somehow ended up under the same ownership as the Blockheads chain, which also seems to have disappeared.

Comment

These days most people think the Mission burrito is the regular burrito.
        Yes, the description on the Mission Burrito sounds like the standard burrito one gets at Chipotle or a food truck run by stoner cyclists.

Microwave burritos are completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I don't think that there was (though there were/are definitely Mission style places in Brooklyn before this one).

The East Village Benny's closed about ten years ago; the West Village one last year.

They had somehow ended up under the same ownership as the Blockheads chain, which also seems to have disappeared.
          I lived a block from there for three years. I think we went maybe twice? It was a big brunch place for getting wasted and not much else. The laundromat next door was a gem though.

Comment

Microwave burritos don't count.

I'm sure we've done this numerous times before, but that hasn't stopped me:

Your standard burrito here in San Diego (and I believe LA) would get you something that is mostly meat, with maybe salsa, guac and possibly cheese. Or if it was a delicious chili relleno burrito you'd swap the meat for a chili relleno. But no beans or rice. Your classic bean and cheese burrito round these parts has no rice. I've mentioned the Cali burrito many times on these pages, which is carne asada and french fries and cheese and sour cream and guac and pico, but again no beans or rice. I think generally in Mexico you get fully minimalist and a lot smaller - often just the protein/stew in the tortilla. I'm actually not a fan of the Mission Burrito because I don't think I need all the rice and beans padding it out. Obviously if you didn't eat meat that would drive your choices differently.

Comment

I think “burrito” is like “sandwich,” it refers to the general structure, not specifically what is in it.

Comment

I think generally in Mexico you get fully minimalist and a lot smaller - often just the protein/stew in the tortilla.
                I have done day trips to Baja when I was young, but spent a lot of time in Mexico City. I know flour tortillas are more common in northern Mexico. I can't remember seeing burritos as an option at taquerias in Mexico City. But I add the qualifiers that I'm vegetarian and mostly looked to tacos as a way to mix up my food options, tortas, and quesadillas. The quesadilla is interesting in Mexico City because it doesn't automatically come with cheese. My experience with the quesadilla was a larger corn tortilla (closer to burrito sized flour tortillas) that were grilled with grilled veggies inside.

I also found that the fried potato taco was a more common food option in San Diego but not as prevalent in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

…food truck run by stoner cyclists.
                  i’ve eaten at a number of food trucks, but I’m still trying to picture this one in my head.

Comment

The South Koreans just don't understand SoCal culture

Comment

I just assume that’s who does burrito trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The South Koreans just don't understand SoCal culture

LA definitely does better Korean-Mexican tacos and burritos.

Comment

Those South Korean's have got their maths all wrong. By my calculations LA x SD = ALDS. That can't happen.

Comment

Looking to place a bet on an app that the Red Sox will end the season with a .395 win %

Comment

Philadelphians just know how to ruin something for everyone.

The Phillies have ended the popular $1 Hot Dog Night promotion, citing "the organization's ongoing commitment to provide a positive experience for all fans in attendance."

Comment

the A's told the media that their Las Vegas stadium renderings were embargoed *after* they sent them to the media.

https://twitter.com/melissalockard/status/1765103868910989346

Comment

Apparently the "open" bit is glass, which seems insane, and implies that the whole thing is going to be air conditioned, Astrodome style. Which is an ecological nightmare and rather undoes what Las Vegas has supposedly been trying to do in recent years regarding sustainability.

Comment

Air conditioned "from the seat level," supposedly. It has to have AC. Its still over 100 F at night sometimes.

This whole thing is a terrible idea and there's still a good chance it will still collapse under it's own stupidity. He doesn't have the money and hasn't explained where all of it is going to come from, even with the generous public subsidy.

Comment

Working...
                                    X