MLB 2023: The shift got clocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLB 2023: The shift got clocked

Normally we don't create a new MLB thread until spring training is close to ending, but I figured I'd start this one earlier with the WBC happening this year.

New rules this year (referenced in the title): pitch timer (by default forcing batters into the damn box sooner), pitchers can throw to first base twice during an at bat and a third throw would need to produce an out or else a balk is called, batter gets one time out, banning of the shift so two infielders need to be on either side of second base, larger bases, position players can only pitch during extra innings or during certain blow out scorelines, and the runner on second during extra innings is now permanent during the season but not during the playoffs. I might be forgetting something, but I think that covers the changes.

Spring training games start February 24.
    The WBC starts March 7 and ends March 21.
    The MLB season starts on March 29.

Given your mention of the WBC. Are all these rule changes MLB only? How much variation is there between rulesets? Do some leagues have mounds in different places for example?

Comment

These changes are MLB only.

Distances between bases and from the mound to the plate are the same across the adult sport, as are the number of balls, strikes, and outs. And as noted recently, Japan's Central League is the only league of note that still doesn't use the designated hitter.
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-02-2023, 15:48.

Comment

The base comparison:

Have the new sizes been used in the minors or anywhere else? I read they were intended to increase safety for first basemen and other fielders while of course possibly increasing steal attempts. But I wonder how fielders trying to turn a double play will find the larger bases an obstacle while trying to plant their feet.
        Last edited by Incandenza; 16-02-2023, 15:50.

Comment

All of the rule changes were trialed.

This is a good piece on that experience

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...larger%20bases.

The larger bases can best be described as a very minor tweak. Those 18-inch square larger bases were adopted across the minors in 2022 with little fanfare. The stolen base rate and success rate in the minors has skyrocketed in 2022, but that has much more to do with the other rules tweaks than it has with the larger bases.

Unlike this year, where they were adopted universally across the minors, larger bases were a split-season experiment in Triple-A in 2021. The larger bag at first makes it easier for first basemen to avoid being spiked, and there is some thought that the slightly larger bases (three inches larger than the previous 15-inch versions) would encourage base stealing.

Comment

Diamond Sports Group (known to viewers as the Bally Sports regional sports networks -- RSN) has filed for bankruptcy so that creates another task for MLB to deal with with spring training games a week out. I saw some of Rob Manfred's press conference yesterday and he said MLB already has plans to produce games themselves if something is not worked out.
            https://www.blessyouboys.com/2023/2/...ghts-contracts

In other news that is surprising to no one, DeGrom left his bullpen session with "tightness in his left side." He is electric when he can actually pitch. I will be stunned if the Rangers get much from this deal.

Comment

This will also have a significant impact on the NHL

Comment

I'm hoping - maybe in vain - that the long nightmare of RSNs will end and every league will do what MLS is doing and just create an all-inclusive package through one of the streamers. People will bitch that it's too expensive, but they don't seem to realize how much of their cable fee is already going to the RSNs. And a lot of cable providers don't offer the RSNs people want anyway.

The new MLS all-games service on Apple is $12 a month (and I forget how much if you buy the whole season, but a lot less per month). The baseball one would more than that, obviously, and the hockey or basketball ones would be in between, but it would just be far simpler and better for fans, especially if they somehow still offer some games over the air locally.

Or maybe they can do what the BigTen does with BigTen Plus and allow you to just buy one team.

Comment

Manfred said in his press conference that they are working hard to get rid of blackouts. This would mean that you could buy your home team(s). Currently, you can buy one team, but not in your market. From an economic standpoint, unless all you care about is your home team, the price difference between buying one team through MLBTV and paying for the MLB package is minimal. The full package is $150 (up by $10 from last year), but this season includes minor league games, Single team packages are $139 for the year. I don't know if that price is the same as 2022, since it's not the package I choose.

In other sad news, Tim McCarver passed away today. His time as a player pre-dates my awareness of baseball at a more complex level. I paid attention in the late 70s and up to his retirement but I was in Southern California and the days of blanket coverage had not started yet. Plus as a little kid, I bounced between a lot of sports. So, I know him best as an excellent analyst (first through the WOR superstation and then on national broadcasts). He was the WS analyst for a long time. I can't see that longevity being matched. I liked him a lot as an analyst.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                    Manfred said in his press conference that they are working hard to get rid of blackouts. This would mean that you could buy your home team(s). Currently, you can buy one team, but not in your market. From an economic standpoint, unless all you care about is your home team, the price difference between buying one team through MLBTV and paying for the MLB package is minimal. The full package is $150 (up by $10 from last year), but this season includes minor league games, Single team packages are $139 for the year. I don't know if that price is the same as 2022, since it's not the package I choose.
                    Yeah, I think people will be surprised that getting all the games is only slightly more expensive than just one team but maybe some people would want that option anyway.

For example, right now, to watch the NHL you have to get a cable package with the right RSN to get your regional team, but to get all the other games, you just need to get ESPN+, which is only about $8 a month and comes with a ton of other stuff.

So Diamond/Sinclair/Ballys is paying a lot to show the Wild in Minnesota, for example, but ok with essentially giving that content away to the rest of the country. *

*Also, most of the ads are local/regional. But I still don't really understand why ESPN+' coverage of out-of-market games just shows a screensaver, essentially, instead of the local ads. I understand that it doesn't do anybody any good to show me, for example, ads for Canadian Tire or Pinkberry or Menards, but surely, they have the technological ability to put national ads or targeted local ads there.

Comment

In other sad news, Tim McCarver passed away today. His time as a player pre-dates my awareness of baseball at a more complex level. I paid attention in the late 70s and up to his retirement but I was in Southern California and the days of blanket coverage had not started yet. Plus as a little kid, I bounced between a lot of sports. So, I know him best as an excellent analyst (first through the WOR superstation and then on national broadcasts). He was the WS analyst for a long time. I can't see that longevity being matched. I liked him a lot as an analyst.
                      Yeah, he was always the WS analyst. I thought he was good.

Comment

Funny how you never know how you'd react when someone goes, and I never in a billion years would have thought this would be the case, but I definitely got teary with Tim McCarver.

I guess it's the fact his voice was perfect for the sport. He was baseball. He was baseball's voice. Like if the sport had a voice, it would be Tim McCarver.

It's funny how years go on you realize what an art form announcing is, and how it enriches and enhances the story of what is happening. So Tim McCarver was a storyteller, and someone who took a game like baseball and made you believe. So he was an evangelist as well.

Why I'm sad is that Tim McCarver spoke to your soul, and asked baseball to come into your heart. I probably ended up loving the sport because of him.

So thank you Tim. And FUCK DEION SANDERS.

Comment

He insists on Coach Prime.
                          Seriously. A grown-ass man…

Comment

Man, those Ebbets Field jumpers came back in stock a couple of hours ago and they're already sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              Man, those Ebbets Field jumpers came back in stock a couple of hours ago and they're already sold out.
                              I don't know how they stay in business. Almost everything worth having is always out of stock. Of course, it's all very expensive too.

Comment

Have to say, this playing every team in the National league business, it's just the beginning of the end of the two 'different' leagues right? Get 2 more teams and then throw em all in a pot and split it up regionally. Personally, I don't care in the long term, but in the short term, I couldn't give 2 shits if we play San Diego. We now play less AL East Games than ever. Which given the Red Sox are almost the weakest link in this division will suit the front office but I would rather play the Yankees or Blue Jays more frequently. Until we get rid of the AL/NL league designations, then I look fwd to being in a division with Philly & the Mets.

Comment

It's more like the end of that process.

After the different baseballs, league presidents, league offices, chest protectors, umpiring crews, the introduction of interleague play and most recently the end of different rule books.

Comment

I still don't like interleague play. I prefer it when the WS is between two teams that have not met. But I also hated the unbalanced schedule. Nineteen games was way too much for me. And every time the Yankees and Red Sox met every network game was going to be between those two teams playing 4-hour games. Of course, I could selectively tune into those games, but seeing the Dodgers play other NL West teams that much was a bit of a snore. I do appreciate that the league has front loaded the interleague games. This scheduling move could make for less but more meaningful games among the top teams in each division during the end of the season.

Comment

I don’t like inter league play either but I’ve stopped caring after the DH was introduced to the National League. The ship truly sailed then.

Comment

Spring training games start today. I have the Mariners-Padres on in the background as I work. Y'all know I have been banging on about the pitch clock for a few years. Man, this thing is fast. Fifteen seconds is not fooling around. The pace of game is moving at a rate that is almost too fast. It's crazy. If you can tune in today or this weekend, check it out. Games are on the MLB app and if you have a sports package on DirecTV or Dish, check out the game on Ballys SD. MLB Network is showing college baseball today.

I can't say that I love seeing the giant clock ticking away in the background, but I am going to love games that don't require 4 hours of TV time.

EDIT: The Bally San Diego TV guide listed the game from 2:00-5:00 PM (Central). It's currently 4:00 PM and the game is in the 8th inning. And this is Spring training Day 1 when changes happen constantly.
                                        Last edited by danielmak; 24-02-2023, 22:07.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1629252979789537280?s=61&t=pNWXsS8nGB4ODwT8ayc8ug

Comment

I just heard on MLB Network: Last year's first Spring Training game was 1 hour longer than this year's first game (they counted Mariners-Padres as the first game).

Manny called with the first automatic strike for not being in the box and ready with 8 seconds left on the clock. A whole new list of records.

Comment

I'm not one who keeps score, but the Dodgers announcers brought up an interesting point: what will be the new symbol for ball 4 or strike 3 when those are pitch clock violations?

I'm not loving the Dodgers free agent swap of Justin Turner for JD Martinez. JD had major problems when technology was banned from the dugout. I don't know if he has historically been a guy who is quick to get in the box but I fear he will be a guy who can't handle the pitch clock. Also, he is a DH only. I am a big fan of using the DH to mostly rotate guys.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gvedak/status/1629583431628718082?t=pe126rvnwU3zALmb2lKXvg&s=19

Comment

I am not a fan of this rule that batters need to be in the box and "be alert" by the time the clock gets to 8 seconds. Who cares about that random time. My feeling is that the clock starts and if the batter is still screwing around he's not going to make contact anyway. He should be in the box by the time the pitch is delivered. If he not then that's on him and then the ump can call a strike. But the 8 second thing seems kind of dumb, but maybe I'm missing something in the rationale for that rule.

Cubs at Dodgers today. There are a lot of ex-Dodgers with the Cubs this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X