Rogin's 2023 golf predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's 2023 golf predictions

Still feeling smug with myself for predicting Matt Fitzpatrick to win last year's US Open, let's have a look at 2023.

The real discussion is going to continue to revolve around the Saudi money and the LIV bunch who've leapt at it. This will definitely be a thing at the Masters, which (as an invitational tournament) has said it will continue to invite who it jolly well chooses. As a result, I expect one of the LIV deserters - Dustin Johnson, or more probably Cameron Smith - to be right in the mix at the end. I hope, however, that Rory McIlroy finally gets a green jacket, to complete his career grand slam.

The PGA championship in May could be more interesting vis-a-vis the deserters. In principle, the world's top 100 all get invites, so a lot will depend on whether the world ranking committee have decided to recognise the LIV events, as if they haven't, none may qualify. It's being played at Oak Hill, which on the last two occasions has produced a completely unknown champion in Shaun Micheel and Jason Dufner. So this year I'll be similarly looking way down the rankings. Harold Varner, or Maverick McNealy, maybe.

The USGA is taking its Open to the Los Angeles Country Club for the first time in June, so there is no previous form to call on. If there are any clues to be had from players who've enjoyed the California swing on tour in recent years, we could be looking at Joaquin Niemann, Cameron Young or Tony Finau, but I'll be keeping an eye on Will Zalatoris.

Then the R&A sets up again on the Wirral, where Rory McIlory won his Open title in 2014. Rickie Fowler (remember him?) was second that year, although he'd need a big revival in fortunes to even qualify this year. I think Tommy Fleetwood will feature again - Hoylake and Birkdale are courses he'll have played many times as a junior - and I have a hunch about Xander Schauffele causing the claret jug engraver a headache.

2023 will round off with a Ryder Cup, but I'm afraid I can't see anything beyond the USA retaining the Cup. Again, much may hang on who remains eligible (Europe's two main LIV deserters so far, Garcia and Poulter, were unlikely to have featured anyway) but realistically if Europe can keep the contest alive into the last few singles on Sunday they'll have done well. Going into 2023, the Americans could pick twelve players from inside the world's top 20, whereas Europe have only five (albeit four of the top ten).

Maverick McNealy scores high on the cool names register anyway. Would love to see McIlroy convert another major or two

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/64399598

Well, everyone already knew Patrick Reed was a cheat and a bell-end but now he's delightfully doubled down.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jnucci23/status/1623107532926423042?s=61&t=bNqmJErK5g34v-Yg6Wk-cg

Comment

Rogin is going to buy a condo here (read the whole thread)

https://twitter.com/fos/status/1629924924696428544?s=61&t=_Pp9MLug17zNQ2wPZjbaGA

Comment

It;s a "virtual course"? So, that's some kind of computer game. Not convinced that's going to have the punters flocking in

Comment

That’s a much better list of investors than LIV has.

Comment

I can’t tell if it’s something like Topgolf (which is great fun, by the way) or more like a version of the par 3 course I played inside Petco Park. It doesn’t look just like a virtual driving range.

Comment

I read the thread as being part virtual (a very fancy driving simulator) and part luxus Par 3/Pitch & Putt with real "terrain".

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    It;s a "virtual course"? So, that's some kind of computer game. Not convinced that's going to have the punters flocking in
                    1) You just don't understand golf watching culture

2) They are primarily relying on a television audience

Comment

I don't "tweet". What have they got those two bellends promoting now?

Comment

https://twitter.com/fos/status/1629937064408956929?s=61&t=WxEW1b7H8JhcREgSvZCVTA

Comment

Isn't the 17th at The Players a lovely thing? A proper coliseum.

Comment

https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1666084872191082496?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

That's incredible. The PGA is now complicit in the thing they were previously dead set against. Nice tidy victory for the Saudis, as well as the excommunicated golfer who got the signing bonus AND readmittance to the tour.

Comment

Maybe explains why Rory has been in a funk of late (this weekend aside). I wonder if he and the others were consulted. I can’t imagine they would have been happy, given the very public stances they took against LIV. Anyway. The whole thing fuqing stinks.
                                Last edited by Slightly Brown; 06-06-2023, 14:59.

Comment

Fuck golf. Even more than before

Comment

It's worth noting that historically the PGA were among the worst people on earth, and professional golfers are - on the whole - a pretty horrific bunch even by the standards of professional sportspeople.

It's only because LIV was somehow worse, and managed to distill out the even-worse of pro golfers that the PGA became the "good guys".

It should be no surprise to find that the appalling and rotten PGA people have found a way to make their peace with the Saudis. I imagine they were always aligned on their love of money and reactionary politics.

Comment

I wonder how long until we read the obligatory 'we believe people deserve second chances'. You know...murderous regimes and that.

Comment

Well, well, well. Oil wells that ends well. I wonder how many organisers and sponsors of PGA events that were asked to match LIV sized purses (like Jack Nicklaus's Memorial Tournament, that Victor Hovland won last week) have, behind the scenes, thrown their hands up and said "no, we just can't compete".

It will be interesting to see the detailed implications because quite aside settling all the personal animosity, you will still have a schedule of 15 or so LIV invitational events in direct competition with PGA tour stops, and as far as the world and Ryder Cup rankings go, well, anyone's guess. Brooks Koepka would probably be about 3rd in the world if his LIV wins were added to his majors record this year, as it is he's 13th.

Comment

It’s being widely reported that Greg Norman only found out about the PGA/LIV merger after it had happened. Which, given his role as LIV CEO seems rather unusual.

Comment

I told you all that golf was shit.

Comment

Brooks Koepka is certainly outperforming his usual standards of being a total nobber today.

Comment

If you were to use the phrase "total nobber" in the area where you currently live, would anyone have a clue about what you're talking about?

Comment

What absolute filth.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X