No announcement yet.

No Ver-stopping Max - F1 and Motorsport 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

news for the Americans: with ESPN now actually spending some actual money for their contract, it seems that they have priced out the humble Mothers Polish sponsor. They performed an admirable service, but have now been replaced as the main ad-free sponsor by Mercedes-Benz.

Also--the Sports Business Journal reporter's tweet about this ominously uses the phrase "no full-screen commercials." I'm guessing there will be side-by-side or PIP commercial interruptions during the races, like with NASCAR or IndyCar.

Comment

Given that Red Bull are fucking miles ahead of everybody already and they're the best developers of a car there's got to be a serious possibility of them going through the card and winning every race this season.

Comment

Dunno

I think McLaren's 15 from 16 is safe. Shit happens, especially with this many races.

Alonso/Aston Martin podium

Comment

Perhaps the hope is that Perez can challenge Verstappen to have some drama at the front, but that doesn't look likely.

Pretty embarrassing for Mercedes to be leapfrogged by one of their customer teams.

McLaren in serious trouble. Looks like they're just trying to survive until their upgrade and hoping that Lando can pull off a miracle points finish.

Comment

Before the season started, I almost asked the question that when was the last time that only two previous champions were in the competition. I'd completely forgotten that Alonso was back.

Comment

I want to say 1993 - Senna and Prost?

Mansell had taken his bat and ball away, and Piquet retired at the end of 1991. Three of the drivers on the grid that season would later become champions (Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen) but only two started the season with WDC under their belts.
              Last edited by Kevin S; 06-03-2023, 10:22.

Comment

Ah, so now I wonder about a later season when there was only Hill and Schumi...

Edit - of course, 1997. Hill and Schumacher the only WDC at the start of the season. Then Villeneuve wins to give us a third after that.

Comment

Oh FFS. Then of course Hill and Hakkinen disappeared in quick succession so in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 there was only Schumacher and JV.

Comment

Back up to three in 2006 because Alonso joined the ranks of WDC in 2005, and Villeneuve gets half a season before being replaced by Kubica, so....

Comment

2007 - Alonso stands alone, as both JV and MSC hve retired. Kimi wins the title and this means:
                      2008 - also only two WDC, now Kimi and Alonso. Hamilton wins
                      2009 - now three champions (Alonso, Kimi, Lewis). Button wins.
                      2010 - Kimi starts his sabbatical but Jenson means we have three champions. Vettel wins.
                      2011 - four WDC - Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Button
                      2012 - we have that big five as Kimi returns and they lock out out the top five positions. Phew.

So after all that, the answer seems to be 2008.
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 06-03-2023, 10:35.

Comment

Good work Kev. I'm always intrigued by those sort of questions but far too lazy to work out the answer!

Comment

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1633860320786808832

Comment

OMG, I didn't realise that Jacques Villeneuve is having a crack at some endurance racing. This season of WEC could be a hoot.

This is his car, the Vanwall hypercar, testing at Sebring. Practice starts tomorrow and the race is (weirdly) on Friday at noon local time.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuv...el=LankyTurtle

Nine hypercars on the grid and some familiar names piloting them: https://www.fiawec.com/en/race/show/4789

Comment

He nearly won Le Mans with Peugeot, which would have made him the second member of the Triple Crown club, depending on who you ask*.

*I’m more partial to the Monaco GP criteria, since that would make them all races rather than two races and a championship. Either way, Graham Hill still stands alone.

Comment

Gene Haas' Haas Automation company seems like it broke export control law and sold machinery to sanctioned Russian weapons manufacturers. Oops.

Russia was publishing the actual public procurements conducted by, for example, Russian military plants.

And we saw that Abamet had a lot of customers within the Russian military industrial complex, including the sanctioned entities. And we even can see the description of the actual products that were shipped by Abamet to Russian-sanctioned enterprises.

And we see that Haas equipment bought by Abamet directly from the U.S. were sold to Russian-sanctioned entities.

Comment

Wow, that's quite a story.

Comment

AAnnnnnnnd LLLIIIIGGGHHHHTTTS OUT AND AWAY WE GO ON "That HAAS to be...." jokes.

Comment

SCENES at Sebring - Ferrari pole!

Comment

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/craig...ting-accident/

Ah man, I have no words. My favourite driver, a lovely guy, a rally fan who's been talented enough to live the dream, overcome the tragic loss of his co-driver and fight his way back to the top of the sport. I am fucking numb.

Comment

RIP Craig. How utterly awful. His comeback story was so incredible and then he's just... gone. Tragic.

Comment

Irish driver Adam Fitzgerald fractured three vertebrae after hitting a sausage curb in a Formula Regional European Championship by Alpine (Formula 3) race at Imola.

Comment

I don't get the appeal of the Spribt, but this is at least a bit more coherent

https://twitter.com/f1/status/1650885974942003201?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

Comment

I guess thismakes going to the circuit on Friday more meaningful. Points for the Sprint race remain the same: 8 points for the winner, 7 for 2nd place, etc. down to 8th place.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TomP1Bellingham/status/1652660831279095809

Comment

Has Sir Jackie Stewart played the "don't you know who I am?" card at the GP?

Someone should tell F1 security it's a "don't you know who I am?" platinum card

https://twitter.com/Ignisfox1/status...89874864390145

Comment

Working...
                                                    X