No announcement yet.

I Belong To Glasgow: Pro Cycling 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The route for the final 2 stages of the 2024 TdF were revealed this morning.
    Stage 20 is a mountain stage from Nice to Col de la Couillole and the final stage will be a 35km individual time trial from Monaco to Nice.
    So no 'parade' stage for the sprinters to contest, which might disappoint some, but the organisers will hope that the GC drama goes right to the end LeMond / Fignon style.

But I worry that they're losing all the spectacle of a bunch sprint finish, in the hope that there will be some nail-biting drama for the yellow jersey.
    It might not play out that way.
    Last edited by The Red Max; 13-03-2023, 15:28.

Comment

I'd imagine they'll have a sprint day on the Friday and then hope the sprinters stay in for the weekend if they have a green jersey interest. I'd also expect that stage up the Couilolle will find its way into Paris - Nice next spring.

The final time trial generally reinforces what we already know rather than brings about a change in yellow, one reason LeMond / Fignon is so famous is the scarcity value. In the entire time since there's only been four times when the lead has changed at the final time trial, one of which was LeMond overhauling a five second deficit to Chiappucci in 1990 and another Pereiro / Landis 2006 which was subsequently overturned. It's more likely than not that yellow won't be in play and we'll be looking at podium places at best.

The key thing is though that it will be visually different, we won't get champagne and plodding around suburban Paris and the L'Equipe offices and bateaux-mouche, we will have hills and Monte Carlo harbour and the Cote d'Azur and a GC day. If it works in any meaningful way then going back to Paris for yet another sprint will be an anti-climax in 2025 and this may well begin the process of having regular racing on the last day in different locations. The Giro is rumoured to be looking at a finish on a mountain next year which will only add fuel.

Comment

We all ready? I believe ursus arctos is my big comrade in MSR lovin'.

https://twitter.com/writebikerepeat/status/1636765890858348544

Comment

For those who like a bet, I haven’t picked WvA or MvdP in my fantasy team for this race. So one of them is bound to win.

longeared may be glad to know I bought Sagan instead as he was cheaper, and sentiment.

Comment

The Maryland Cycling Classic thing for mostly non World Tour teams is back this year fyi, last year having gone well enough to repeat.

Comment

I should get out of bed and lie on the couch, then as I think MSR coverage starts soon

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                For those who like a bet, I haven’t picked WvA or MvdP in my fantasy team for this race. So one of them is bound to win.

longeared may be glad to know I bought Sagan instead as he was cheaper, and sentiment.
                Sentiment is largely all you'll get from him these days, alas. Buy Coquard instead, because, you know, Cofidis.

Looking forward to the race, not least because it actually happening will put an end to all the interminable TALKING POINTS this week about Is The Race Boring and Lots Of Different Riders Might Win It.

Comment

Orla is just absolute goals.

Well no, she isn't, because tha would lead to inevitable disappointment. But she is extremely cool.
                  Last edited by delicatemoth; 18-03-2023, 09:08.

Comment

Apparently Pog took a scenic detour into the grass during the neutral rollout

Comment

Break not being allowed any leeway at all, their lead down to just over two minutes.

Comment

I wish they put some kind of marker in the corner when Kirby is on so that I know when to mute and unmute

Comment

See, I told you to back the mighty 'dis.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1637121345539432452

Seen the MSR result but not how it happened as I've been out, fortunately getting home just before the enormous rainstorm. Fine example on the result sheet of how MSR is the easiest classic to finish but the hardest to win, there were only four abandons, including Sam Bennett.

Comment

Bennett crashed

I think you can guess how the winner won

It was certainly impressive

Comment

This race always makes me wistful for our time in Italy.

The course passes the collection of cottages between Albenga and Alassio where we stayed for a week just after arriving, and our memories of Liguria are rich as they are deep.

Comment

Today I learned that Matthieu Van Der Poel is Raymond Poulidor’s grandson. I had no idea.

Comment

Wait until you hear about the sport that Roglič used to practice

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    This race always makes me wistful for our time in Italy.
                                    I'm not surprised. I have it on from the start but am often doing other things, looking at other tabs etc. while it's in the background for the first half. But I always make sure I'm watching when it hits the coast, it's the most evocative moment in cycling for me. Yes, more so than the break entering Trouee d'Arenberg. And I've never been there, the only part of Italy I've been to is Sardinia.

Comment

UAE appeared to be following a similar approach to last year - cranking things up from the Cipressa - with similar results.

Comment

Trofeo Alfredo Binda spoilers follow.

Debut road race victory for 21yo CX champion Shirin van Anrooij, in an impressive solo attack. Trek make it a 1-2 with Balsamo and SD Worx are nowhere.

I was surprised to see Marta Cavalli up at the pointy end late on, considering that last I heard she was taking a break due to the continuing effects of her big crash last year. Delighted she’s back of course as long as she’s not being rushed.

Gripe 1: motorbikes
                                        Gripe 2: CHASERS LOOKING AT EACH OTHER!!! I know Trek were trying to disrupt but we keep seeing this.

Comment

More Binda spoilers

Shirin has retweeted some highlights, which feature the motorbike issues. Not great, and not from ancillary bikes but from the police and the TV camera crew.

Comment

Content Warning

Kirby is doing Catalunya

And there is a bad crash in the last 6km that they replay four of five times during the run in
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-03-2023, 18:32.

Comment

Really nasty crash from which Trek’s Cataldo was by far the worst off with multiple fractures and a collapsed lung. Sadly at 38 that might be career ending.

Adam Yates was in there and lost 11 minutes so I assume Almeida will be UAE’s sole focus for GC.

longeared will be happy to see both Cocquard and Martin (G) on the same time as the other non-time bonused GC contenders. It’s coming.

Comment

Good Stage 2 in Catalunya, with a surprise winner of the three-up summit finish.

Meanwhile - following their feeble MSR performance - SitsBet have selected their fantasy lineup for Brugge - De Panne, suggesting that the smart money should be on Demare, Dainese, Gaviria, Cav or even Danny van Poppel if Bennett messes up. It's low res because I shrank it:
                                                Last edited by Sits; 22-03-2023, 04:38.

Comment

Comment

Was rooting for Chaves as much as Kirby was in that last stretch. The highlights package on Eurosport is habitually shit and not helped by the preset recording on my box missing the start or end half the time, as they shift things a bit on the night. But 2 very good stages so far from what I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X