I Belong To Glasgow: Pro Cycling 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Belong To Glasgow: Pro Cycling 2023

The main feature of the year ahead is the new "everything Worlds" which feature the assorted disciplines of cycling all having their individual World Championships as a collective event. These are being held in Scotland in early August - mostly in Glasgow, with the Para events in Dumfries & Galloway and the mountain biking up in Fort William. This is one of David Lappartient's whizzy ideas in his attempts to become a major IOC bigwig, and he's already deemed it enough of a success for there to be another multi-Worlds in France in 2027, it seems that the long term intention is for this to be a four-yearly event. I suspect what will happen is that there will be so much going on that a lot of stuff will just fly below the radar and news and events just get smothered. Not mad keen myself on the splitting of the elite road races so that the men go one Sunday and the women the next.

The Giro and the Tour announced their routes in the autumn. The Giro is time trial-tastic, including a mountain TT in Trieste on the penultimate day following which there is a ridiculous transfer to Rome for the last stage. Remco Evenepoel is going for this, so we should finally get an answer as to whether he really can do big high altitude mountain racing - the evidence was inconclusive from his Vuelta win where they barely went over 2000m. Geraint Thomas, Primoz Roglic and Joao Almeida are also targetting this. The Tour has gone the other way and there is a whole 22k of time trialling, during the final week. That'll be Tadej Pogacar v Jonas Vingegaard again. Pog was out and about doing cyclocross the other day. Winning the Tour last year seems to have taken a lot out of Vingegaard, he barely raced during the autumn and hasn't given any big press interviews or the like. Where Egan Bernal fits into this remains to be seen, he got back racing towards the end of last season but it feels a stretch to see him contending. INEOS have signed Thymen Arensman from DSM and I think he could do very well indeed for them, at the Tour or somewhere else. The Vuelta route isn't out yet, we know it will start in Barcelona, there's expected to be a Tourmalet finish and another on some ridiculously steep goat track to a weather station, think we'll get full details in the next couple of weeks.

Mark Cavendish still hasn't confirmed a team for the season. The assumption is that he will go to Astana - my feeling is that the announcement is being held back until New Years Day so he can be pictured in their kit, but if there's nothing by the end of next week then that will mean questions get asked again. Geraint Thomas is in the final year of his INEOS contract and the word is that there is no desire on either side to do a further deal so we'll see whether he retires or goes somewhere else.

Annemiek van Vleuten is supposedly retiring at the end of the season, although it would not be remotely surprising if she decided to carry on and have a final go at the Olympics the year after. Lizzie Deignan is due back in May after giving birth and I expect she'll retire after the Olympics as well. The Tour de France Femmes looks to have kicked on with its choice of route, AVV will win that given the Tourmalet finish.

The Tour of Britain has announced that their race will start in Manchester and finish in Wales, assume they're going to steer clear of Scotland given the Worlds a month earlier. There's also been no announcement about what will happen with the Isle of Wight stage that got Queened off last year. No details yet on the Women's Tour other than the dates in early June. The organisers of the RideLondon Classique have promised there will be live telly coverage every day so it controversially kept its Women's WorldTour status on this basis.

The Australian swing is back for the first time since 2020, the women get three stages starting on January 15th and the men go two days later for six stages including a time trial which is being held on road bikes and a finish on something called Mount Lofty. There's all the usual build up as well, cycling's equivalent of "playing your local non league club to start pre-season" takes place on New Years Day with the first of the Bay Crits.

The Worlds are in early August? That could shake things up as riders have to work out their preparation differently to the usual.

Comment

Thanks for the warning about Scotland in early August. That could affect our holiday plans.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mazaciclismo/status/1609119952593715201?s=61&t=AvZYDbaiy0_S12yHH3Ufkw

Comment

Good OP longeared, thanks for starting the thread.

Edit: I’m glad to see you mentioned Arensman. Nobody is talking about him on the podcasts but I also think he could be special this year.

Edit 2: talking of pods, the Cycling Tips empire is a self-inflicted mess after they sacked Caley Fretz and others, then a load more quit, notably Abi Mickey who fronted the excellent Freewheeling. Fretz and others have set up The Placeholders which is good, but we need Mickey podding somewhere again soon.

Over at The Cycling Podcast Lionel Birnie did the Tour D’Ecosse series which is fantastic (not finished yet) while Daniel Friebe has used a rotating cast for the Vuelta, Worlds and weekly show which is working pretty well. Larry Warbasse in particular is a natural. But I really hope Birnie and Friebe doing a pod together is not a thing of the past. I don’t think they’ve done so since the Giro.
          Last edited by Sits; 31-12-2022, 23:13.

Comment

I am so far behind. I'm still watching last year's races. Zolder was great in both main races.

I'm currently watching Diagem, it was a night race and the atmosphere is fantastic, noise all the way around, past the football pitch and through the town.

Edit: the men's race at Diagem was fantastic. A gripping final lap after lots of give and take.
            Last edited by Levin; 05-01-2023, 21:09.

Comment

Do we have any Dutch speakers in the thread? Is this

""Het hele woke-debat. Ik zie het soms doorslaan naar de verkeerde kant. Je moet tegenwoordig zo oppassen met welke mening je verkondigt. Zelfs geen mening hebben is vaak al fout. Je moet vooral heel hard roepen: Ik ben woke. Anders ben je al bijna per definitie discriminerend. Het beste voorbeeld is de zwartepietendiscussie. Ik heb dat vroeger nooit geassocieerd met onderdrukking van wie dan ook. Het stoort mij geweldig dat dat er tegenwoordig allemaal bijgesleurd wordt.”
              Accurately translated as

“I sometimes see it [the 'woke debate'] going to the wrong side. Nowadays you have to be so careful with what opinion you express. Not even having an opinion is often wrong. Above all, you have to shout very loudly: I am woke,. Otherwise, you are almost by definition discriminatory. The best example is the blackface discussion. I never used to associate that with oppression of anyone. It bothers me greatly that all that is being dragged in nowadays.”

It's from an interview with WvA. He does appear to be saying that he's bothered that Zwarte Piet is seen as a problem now when it wasn't in the past?

Comment

That's disheartening.

Comment

Yup. On a similar note Sonny Colbrelli is apparently standing as a Forza Italia candidate in some Italian municipal election this spring.

Been some stuff happening this week. The Tour de France announced their wild cards, Lotto - Dstny and Total Energies qualified thanks to performances last season and they'll be joined by IPT and Uno - X. Not sure the latter meant to email me earlier offering the chance to become naming partner at between 4 and 6 million euros per year, minimum three years. The same teams also got an invite to Paris - Nice when they unveiled their course, a traditional route with some flat days where the wind might blow and building the climbing as the race goes on to the usual ambush stage behind Nice as the climax. They're running a different sort of team time trial where the time will be taken on the first rider to cross the line, so that will be an interesting tactical challenge as to how best to deliver the GC leader to the line and how many riders need to accompany them. Vingegaard is the Jumbo representative so he'll start as race favourite.

Comment

Brodie Chapman just won the women’s Aussie road championship after attacking with one 12km lap to go. Grace Brown and Amanda Spratt complete the podium. Lovely and sunny in Ballarat. Will dip in and out of the men’s race through the afternoon if I can.

Comment

Luke Plapp retains, from Simon Clarke and my pre-race pick Michael Matthews. Didn’t manage to watch much at all.

Comment

De Kuil is horrible, a massive downhill sandpit. Van Empel has just gone over her handlebars in a really scary way.

Comment

This is to be Thibaut Pinots last season as a pro.
                          https://twitter.com/ThibautPinot/status/1613572267707084800

Comment

One of my favourite riders, took us on a journey with some high highs and horribly low lows. We'll always have the win in the Vosges with Madiot screaming out of the team car, and the white jersey, and Alpe d'Huez, and Lombardia, and the pain and joy of last year's Tour of the Alps, and that time he came close to winning the Giro, and the second time he came close to winning the Giro and ended the race on a drip in hospital, and the win on the Tourmalet when for a few days it looked like he might win the whole damn Tour and then his knee gave up.

Comment

And he’ll always have his goats.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Lieuwe Westra has died aged just 40. He was the sort of solid rider that teams really need, he played a key role in Nibali's 2014 Tour win by getting in the break on the cobbled day and ultimately helping Nibs gain two minutes on the other GC riders when he eventually bridged up. He's also the second member of that team to die following Michele Scarponi. Also gave Wiggins a hell of a contest in Paris - Nice 2012.

Racing began overnight, the women's race at the Tour Down Under hasn't attracted much of a field despite World Tour status, most teams seemingly not being bothered about making the trek for three days racing so we've basically got the Australians plus Copponi. The latter finished second on the opening stage, a sprint won by Daria Pikulik of Human Powered Health, a new name on me that in her first season at this level.

Comment

So Dr. Freeman's licence suspension has been upheld on appeal, just lengthening the shadow over Sky/British Cycling around 2012.

Comment

Astana have announced the shock signing of Ken Bruce Mark Cavendish. Well I never! The press release indicates it is a one year deal, guess he'll retire if he gets the Tour stage win record then.

Grace Brown won the Tour Down Under in an exciting pursuit on the final stage, Alberto Bettiol had one of those spellbindingly good days he churns out every now and then and won the prologue in the men's race. Hindley and Thomas clearly aren't after the overall given how far down they finished.

Comment

At least the GB champions jersey will be worn on the world tour. I'm not sure how I would have felt about Cav in Astana blue.
                                      https://twitter.com/AstanaQazTeam/status/1615336064385777665

Comment

Is he in his back garden?

Comment

An Australian wins Stage 2 of the Tour Down Under after an Australian won the women's GC, and I don't know anyone else here who even knows they've been on.

Comment

I'd hope nobody in Australia is speaking of anything but the THINK! Road Safety Stage Four given that Cofidis won it, Bryan Coquard did a huge sprint up a rise into an headwind for his first ever win at World Tour level.

Actually it's not been a bad race as the TDU goes, some interesting racing more than five minutes from the finish for once, Jay Vine continuing his strong start to the season by just needing to hold on tomorrow for the overall. Michael Matthews had an entertaining moan about young riders not having respect in the peloton. Moscon amusingly crashed out. Phil Liggett really really really needs to retire.

Comment

Obviously being in Australia, I’ve not been able to watch it.

Comment

How come, Sits?

That was quite good fun anyway, Vine building on his Vuelta stage wins by taking the GC.

Vuelta San Juan is on now, the usual mix of WT teams and South American Conti teams. Bernal is making his comeback and MA Lopez is there with Team Medellin. I'm gonna say it, I think if Lopez and Quintana were European, American or Australian they'd have WT or at least Pro Conti rides for this season.

Comment

delicatemoth it wasn't on my GCN. SBS usually do the cycling and there were highlights on there late evening. But they weren't on their catch-up app. My son reckoned Ch. 7 had it but I saw no evidence yesterday.

I'm happy for Vine even though he's now with a sportswasher. There've been plenty sniping at his bike handling and race craft but he's crafted this one beautifully. He's meant to be helping Almeida at the Giro but represents a decent Plan B.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X