Shall we take a trip? (Speedway 2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall we take a trip? (Speedway 2023)

As we're almost into the New Year, time to start the thread that welcomes Northside back to speedway after it closed at the end of the 2015 season. It previously only staged British Youth Championships, and Northern Development League events but will now step into the National League, bringing back the Workington Comets brand which has lain dormant since that club closed in 2018 after winning the second tier. The re-opening of Northside replaces Newcastle from last year's track list, the Diamonds having shut up shop mid-season after years of questions over their future. In other track news, Swindon won't be back at The Abbey (and probably not anywhere), which is to absolutely no-one's surprise, and there are efforts to find a new track for Somerset in Weston-super-Mare.

Leicester have stepped up to make a 7-team top division, leaving the second tier one short. Most of the teams have been completed but there's still a few stragglers waiting to name their 1-7s. Dan Bewley is back in British speedway after a year away, back at Belle Vue and hoping it will help him increase on last year's strong finish to the World Championship season. Undefeated 2021 World Champion Artem Laguta is allowed back in speedway as a Pole, as is Emil Sayfutdinov, but neither man will be in the Grands Prix this year (unless as wild cards).

I made it to the grand total of 1 meeting in 2022, at Oxford, but I'm hoping to do a few more in 2023, with a visit to outlaw track Lydd high on my list. Speaking of, Isle of Wight are again running as an outlaw track and seem to be doing very well at it, proving that there's life outside the stranglehold of the BSPL.

Have to say - looking at declared 1-7's - sad to see the Yankee presence depleted. No Dillon Ruml, no Ricky Wells (although I am sure he will catch on if he hasn't retired) no Broc Nicol. Last man standing is Luke Becker at Wolves. New 2022 US National Champion, Max Ruml could definitely do a decent job for any championship team and maybe in a couple of years Wilbur Hancock (currently 17 and rising thru the ranks stateside) should be ready to race in europe. He was born in Sweden so maybe easier for him to hook with teams in europe, than having to declare as a yank. Another good looking prospect over here is 18yr old Alex Martin who just won the US Under 21 final. Sadly, there are no Americans who will get close to GP status anytime soon, other than Luke Becker.

Comment

It's possible Dillon Ruml might rock up at Plymouth. And if not, he'd make a fantastic Beavis if a live action version of the MTV pair was to be produced.

Comment

I know little about speedway but wanted to acknowledge the thread title, which I got before reading the first post.

Part of the little I know about speedway is that Northside seems to have ongoing issues with vandalism and theft so hopefully they have sorted the security out ahead of its return to serious action.

Comment

I noticed that just before Christmas Rugby council refused planning permission for the Brandon stadium to be turned into a housing estate. Brandon Estate has also been found guilty in court of non-compliance with a community protection order and have been fined £10k and will have to pay £54k in costs. It looks like the fight to save Brandon is beginning to look positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
            I noticed that just before Christmas Rugby council refused planning permission for the Brandon stadium to be turned into a housing estate. Brandon Estate has also been found guilty in court of non-compliance with a community protection order and have been fined £10k and will have to pay £54k in costs. It looks like the fight to save Brandon is beginning to look positive.
            It's still a million to one chance of it coming back but that's shorter odds than there were before the recent decisions. Unless Rugby Council can force a compulsory purchase through, it needs Brandon Estates to accept an offer, and they've already been made one that overvalues the site in its current form. Still, hope springs eternal and I look forward to walking through the turnstiles again.

Comment

I was waiting for all the teams to declare their 1-7s but some are dragging their feet way beyond where I'd like it if I were a fan. So without further ado, here's the 2023 Premiership line-ups:

The Premiership has added a team in Leicester but is still pathetically weak at just 7 clubs. The aborted pairs competition is down to just 3 legs in 2023 and they've set a cut-off date of August 31st for league fixtures but the recent story of British speedway is one of weeks of inactivity and fixture pile-ups. Dan Bewley is back, which is nice to see, but you can't help but feel they missed the chance to amalgamate the leagues (again).

BELLE VUE
              Retained: Norick Blodorn, Tom Brennan, Brady Kurtz, Charles Wright
              In: Dan Bewley (last rode in UK for Belle Vue in 2021), Jaimon Lidsey (last rode in UK for Belle Vue in 2019), Jake Mulford (NDL only with Kent in 2022)
              Out: Jye Etheridge (CL only with Berwick), Max Fricke (to Leicester), Matej Zagar

Not surprisingly, Belle Vue have had to weaken the side that won the Premiership in 2022, although the return of Bewley to the UK is a feather in their cap. Lidsey should outscore Etheridge but they'll need a big improvement from Brennan in the main body of the side to carry Mulford at reserve.

IPSWICH WITCHES
              Retained: Jason Doyle, Danny King, Erik Riss
              In: Kenynan Rew (AUS, rode in Denmark & Poland in 2022), Jack Thomas (from King's Lynn)

Ipswich still have 2 places to fill and are rumoured to be attempting to bring Emil Sayfutdinov back to the UK 12 years after he rode for Coventry. The signing of Rew, something of a protege to Doyle in Poland, is a coup.

KING'S LYNN STARS
              Retained: Jason Edwards, Frederik Jakobsen, Thomas Jorgensen, Nicolai Klindt, Josh Pickering
              In: Krzysztof Kasprzak (last rode in UK for Rye House in 2018), Michael Palm Toft (from Peterborough)
              Out: Richard Lawson (to Leicester), Richie Worrall (currently CL only with Plymouth)

It looks likely to be another barren season at Saddlebow Road, with the team that finished in fifth place in 2022 only slightly improved by the addition of Kasprzak and Palm Toft.

LEICESTER LIONS
              In: Jake Allen (from Sheffield), Max Fricke (Belle Vue), Chris Harris (Peterborough), Richard Lawson (King's Lynn), Nick Morris (Wolves), Justin Sedgman (Sheffield), Dan Thompson (CL & NDL only with Leicester in 2022)

Stupidly taking the plunge to move up, Leicester have assembled a handy side which should make the play-offs.

PETERBOROUGH PANTHERS
              Retained: Benjamin Basso, Jordan Jenkins
              In: Ben Cook (CL only with Poole in 2022), Niels-Kristian Iversen, Richie Worrall (both from King's Lynn)
              Out: Chris Harris (to Leicester), Scott Nicholls (CL only with Oxford), Michael Palm Toft (King's Lynn)

Peterborough still have two riders to announce and the talk is that it will be Hans Andersen and AN Other. Underwhelming unless the Other is a BIG star.

SHEFFIELD TIGERS
              Retained: Adam Ellis, Jack Holder, Kyle Howarth, Lewis Kerr, Tobiasz Musielak
              In: David Bellego (last rode in UK for Ipswich & Swindon in 2019), Dan Gilkes (CL & NDL only with Plytmouth in 2022)
              Out: Connor Mountain (currently CL only with Scunthorpe), Justin Sedgman (Leicester)

2022 runners-up Sheffield have managed to strengthen that side and should challenge for honours in 2023. Bellego can be exciting on bigger tracks.

WOLVERHAMPTON WOLVES
              Retained: Luke Becker, Ryan Douglas, Leon Flint, Sam Masters, Steve Worrall
              In: Zach Cook (CL only with Poole in 2022), Rory Schlein (last rode in Uk for Wolves in 2021)
              Out: Drew Kemp, Nick Morris (to Leicester)

Wolves never make too many changes and it's the same here. Much depends on how well Zach Cook adjusts to stepping up a division. Sam Masters has a testimonial this year.

My prediction: Sheffield to beat Belle Vue in the final, with Leicester and Wolves also making the play-offs (although much depends on how Ipswich and Peterborough finish their sides...)
              Last edited by HeavyDracula; 17-02-2023, 10:12.

Comment

Okay, there's still some places to fill in the Premiership, although Peterborough have now announced Niels-Kristian Iversen and Richie Worrall (edited above), with Hans Andersen and AN Other for the final places. Ipswich still have 2 places outstanding.

And now the Championship, which is down 2 teams from the start of last year after Newcastle went bust mid-season and Leicester opted (stupidly) to move up a division...

BERWICK BANDITS
                Retained: Jye Etheridge, Leon Flint, Jonas Knudsen, Nathan Stoneman
                In: Connor Coles (from Plymouth), Thomas Jorgensen (PL only with Kings Lynn in 2022), Rory Schlein (retired at the end of 2021 with Poole)
                Out: Chris Harris (to Glasgow), Ty Proctor, Ricky Wells

I think Berwick have strengthened a little having failed to make the play-offs last year. Schlein for Harris should be pretty much a straight swap (although he sat out 2022, Schelin's been in decent form in Australia this Winter), while Jorgensen is a big plus.

BIRMINGHAM BRUMMIES
                Retained: Stefan Nielsen, James Pearson, Justin Sedgman
                In: Alfie Bowtell (from Plymouth), Nick Morris (from Leicester), James Wright (from Scunthorpe)
                Out: Josh Auty, Adam Ellis (PL only with Sheffield), Ashley Morris, James Shanes (to Redcar), Claus Vissing (to Glasgow)

The Brummies still have 1 place to fill but with just over 4 points available it's likely to go to either James Sargeant or an untested Australian. Again, I think they look stronger this year - although last year was a mess, with guests and R/R all over the place. A lot depends on Morris inspiring the rest.

EDINBURGH MONARCHS
                Retained: Paco Castagna, Lasse Frederiksen, Jacob Hook, Josh Pickering, Kye Thomson
                In: Kyle Bickley (from Redcar), Craig Cook (from Glasgow)
                Out: Sam Masters (to Oxford), James Sargeant

Unusually for such a smart outfit, I can't see this Edinburgh team doing too much. Cook for Masters is a step back, while Bickley for Sargeant is much of a muchness. They'll do well to equal last year's 5th place.

GLASGOW TIGERS
                Retained: Benjamin Basso, Tom Brennan
                In: Lee Complin (from Plymouth), Chris Harris (from Berwick), Marcin Nowak (last rode in PL for Glasgow in 2021), Ace Pijper (NDL only with Berwick II in 2022), Claus Vissing (from Birmingham)
                Out: Connor Bailey (NDL only with Workington in 2022), Craig Cook (to Edinburgh), Danyon Hume (to Redcar), Broc Nicol, Ulrich Ostergaard

Runners-up last year and have rebuilt their side completely. Harris is a great signing and Pijper is full of potential. I think they'll be there or thereabouts again.

OXFORD CHEETAHS
                Retained: Cameron Heeps, Scott Nicholls
                In: Henry Atkins (from Plymouth), Jordan Jenkins (from Redcar), Lewis Kerr (from Redcar), Luke Kileen (NDL only with Oxford II in 2022), Sam Masters (from Edinburgh)
                Out: Troy Batchelor, Josh MacDonald, Dillon Ruml, Paul Starke (to Plymouth), Aaron Summers, Jack Thomas (to Poole)

A decent first year back ended without a play-off berth and I think they've done enough with the team to put that right. Kileen looks an exciting prospect and Masters won't drop many points once he gets used to Sandy Lane.

PLYMOUTH DEVILS
                Retained: Ben Barker, Dan Gilkes
                In: Kyle Howarth (from Leicester), Paul Starke (from Oxford), Ben Trigger (NDL only with Plymouth II in 2022), Richie Worrall (from Leicester)
                Out: Hans Andersen, Henry Atkins (to Oxford), Alfie Bowtell (to Birmingham), Connor Coles (to Berwick), Lee Complin (to Glasgow), Edward Kennett, Harry McGurk (NDL only with Workington in 2022), Ben Morley (NDL only with Kent in 2023), Michael Palm Toft (to Scunthorpe)

Plymouth are another team with 1 space to fill and only 4.21 points to do it, which again either means Sargeant or an untested Australian. They also had a torried 2022 but if they can stay settled - and bring in someone who can at least score 4 points a meeting at reserve - they might improve on last year's 4th.

POOLE PIRATES
                Retained: Ben Cook, Zach Cook, Richard Lawson, Steve Worrall
                In: Kyle Newman (from Redcar), Adam Roynon (from Scunthorpe), Jack Thomas (from Oxford)
                Out: Nathan Ablitt (NDL only with Kent in 2023), Drew Kemp, Danny King (to Redcar)

Once you're at the top, there's only one place you can go and this Poole side feels weaker to me than last year's title-winning outfit. Still, you write them off at your peril (and I expect some average manipulation early season to allow them to strengthen up).

REDCAR BEARS
                Retained: Jason Edwards, Erik Riss, Charles Wright
                In: Danyon Hume (from Glasgow), Danny King (from Poole), Jake Mulford (NDL only with Belle Vue II in 2022), James Shanes (from Birmingham)
                Out: Kasper Andersen, Kyle Bickley (to Glasgow), Jordan Jenkins (to Oxford), Lewis Kerr (to Oxford), Kyle Newman (to Poole)

Redcar always put out decent sides that never really threaten but do enough. 6th last year should be repeatable, especially with 1 team less in the league and with King doing some heavy lifting.

SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS
                Retained: Jake Allen, Ryan Douglas, Zaine Kennedy, Simon Lambert
                In: Connor Mountain (from Leicester), Michael Palm Toft (from Plymouth), Joe Thompson (from Leicester)
                Out: Tero Aarnio, Ryan Kinsley, Jordan Palin, Anders Rowe, Adam Roynon (to Poole), James Wright (to Birmingham)

For Scunthorpe, see Redcar. An unspectacular side that will lose as many as they win and just miss the play-offs again, like last year's 7th place.

My prediction: Berwick, Glasgow, Oxford, Plymouth, Poole, and Redcar to make the play-offs, with the winner coming from Glasgow, Oxford or Poole.

Incidentally, there is a long list of British riders from 2022 that haven't secured a place in the Championship in 2023, even considering that Edward Kennett has likely retired. The points limit is a useful tool sometimes but it's been a nightmare for the half a dozen young riders who carry an average of between 4.5 and 5.5

Max Clegg (Leicester in 2022), Ave: 5.36
                Drew Kemp (Poole), 5.33 [is nonetheless riding in the Polish II Liga with Rawicz in 2023]
                Dan Thompson (Leicester), 5.22 [has rides in the PL with Leicester & NDL with Leicester II in 2023)
                Anders Rowe (Scunthorpe), 5.21 [another one in the Polish II Liga with Rzeszow in 2023]
                Ben Morley (Plymouth), 5.07 [NDL with Kent]
                Ashley Morris (Birmingham), 4.93
                Jordan Palin (Scunthorpe), 4.78
                Connor Bailey (Glasgow), 4.43 [NDL with Workington, Polish U24 Ekstraligawith Wroclaw]
                James Sargeant (Edinburgh), 3.68
                Jack Smith (Newcastle), 2.90 [NDL with Belle Vue II]
                Ryan Kinsley (Scunthorpe), 2.13
                Nathan Ablitt (Poole), 2.00 [NDL with Kent]
                Harry McGurk (Plymouth), 2.00 [NDL with Workington]

Comment

Isle of Wight - who've been running as an "outlaw" track since walking away from the NDL two years ago - have proposed a new league, the first since the NDL was formed (as the Conference league) in the mid-90s. It would be run under the auspices of NORA-92 and was intended to include Cradley Heath (as a road team), IOW, Iwade, and Plymouth. However, the Speedway Control Board - licensed by the ACU to oversee all speedway but in reality a shell for the established promoters of the BSPL - have told all SCB-registered tracks that they cannot run speedway events under NORA-92 licensing. It's either/or and retains the BSPL's effective monopoly over the sport (which they're running into the ground). I wish someone had money for lawyers because this stinks.

Comment

Ipswich have confirmed the signing of Emil Sayfutdinov, subject to a work permit. There's the issue of his Russian nationality but he's held a Polish passport since 2009 so it's anyone's guess.

Comment

Saw that this morning, it seems something of a coup or has Emil's stock fallen a lot with all the issues of the last few years.

Not really engaged much with this thread yet as I haven't really focussed on the imminent new season. The lack of tracks anywhere near me combined with few clubs racing on weekends is a continuing problem.

Hope to see a lot of Oxford this year and to finally make it to Perry Barr to see the Brummies which has hitherto been a shocking omission from my list of tracks visited.

Comment

Australian-based New Zealander Jake Turner fills the final place at Plymouth, while Peterborough are linked with Nicki Pedersen…

Comment

Pedersen confirmed at Peterborough. Doubly surprising for me as I thought he had retired as a rider but it looks like I misconstrued that from the announcement at the end of last year that he had become the manager of the Danish national side

Comment

he's a friggin $6M man - rebuilt every part of him...

Comment

Yep, so Nicki Pedersen confirmed as the final man at Peterborough, with Ipswich completing their side by signing Danyon Hulme. At least until Jack Thomas got injured doing practice laps at Scunthorpe, meaning the Witches now need a new Rising Star at reserve, with Drew Kemp the favourite.

Thomas’s injury also means Poole need a new rider but no names have been thrown about, save for Kemp, Andrea Rowe, or Dan Thompson (who has rides in the first and third divisions but not the second!). Birmingham finally completed their side this morning by announcing Ty Proctor, who could be a trump card if he regains form but it’s a big if.

Comment

Ipswich have plugged their gap with Joe Thompson, while Poole have gone for Anders Rowe. No Drew Kemp anywhere except Poland, which is very weird.

The season starts on Sunday with the long-delayed Stuart Robson Farewell at Redcar (he retired 5 years ago), with the Peter Craven Memorial at Belle Vue on Monday attracting a stellar field, relatively speaking.

Comment

Both meetings rained off - next to try is a couple of Premiership fixtures on Thursday; a repeat of last year's play-off final in Sheffield vs Belle Vue, and the re-debuts of Sayfutdinov and Pedersen as Ipswich welcome Peterborough. The Ben Fund Bonanaza is at King's Lynn on Saturday.

Comment

Saturday Nights at Saddlebow Road....oh to be young again.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                      or Saturday nights at...

... Hyde Road
                                      ... Brandon
                                      ... Dudley Wood
                                      ... The Abbey
                                      ... Odsal/The Shay
                                      ... Loomer Road
                                      ... Arena Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                        My first taste of speedway was at Saddlebow Road in the summer of 1973 when the Stars hosted Exeter Falcons. What should have been a keenly contested meeting was anything but due to Ivan Mauger having one of his interminable disputes with management and consequently not bothering to turn up. Exeter tried to fill in by giving Scott Autrey loads of extra rides, but he had an off night and the end result was a (from memory) 58-20 romp to the Stars. Oh to be young again, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                          My first taste of speedway was at Saddlebow Road in the summer of 1973 when the Stars hosted Exeter Falcons.
                                          I was at that meeting also - 1973 was the 1st year I started going to speedway. Before they even built the A47 By-Pass....
                                          Mauger was definitely not someone to be messed about. That same June at Lynn, Mauger had won the Littlechild Trophy Meeting with a 15pt max and then came back in in July and repeated by winning the Supporters Trophy. I have his autograph across the front of the programme for the Littlechild trophy meeting.

Comment

Some good news at Rye House, it would seem they are very close to bringing speedway back to the stadium. A post on the Rye House Rockets facebook page dated 23rd March.shows they have been talking to the stadium owners and they didn't realise just how much the previous promoters had stung the stadium. It was because of that that the owners of the stadium decided that speedway was no longer viable and decided the future was carting. But the current campaign to return speedway has been positive so there could be another venue opening in the future.

Here's the press release.

The Rye House Action Group chairman Steve Ribbons has some very positive news to share. Months of attempts to begin negotiations with landlords has finally made progress. Ribbons explains “I made a call to one of the directors of Carter and Bailey at the end of last week and was actually in conversation with him for an hour and a half! Many topics about the current situation at the stadium were discussed, much of which is confidential but, I truly believe we can now reveal we have finally more of a chance to reach an agreement, subject to terms, to bring the Rockets back to Rye than at any time in the last five years.“ Rockets can also reveal a second ‘signing’ for the team to go to the Isle of Wright on the June 22nd .

Comment

Poole Pirates 57 Oxford Cheetahs 33
                                              SGB Championship
                                              Wimborne Road

After avoiding the place for the whole of the 2022 season my desire to see some early season racing got the better of me and I found Poole's Good Friday evening timing just too tempting.

So much about Poole speedway is laudable, the excellent stadium & facilities, the comparatively massive crowds, the professional attitude & set up and the fact it's clearly the centre of the town's sporting life. It's just a pity that two significant factors almost completely outweigh those good points - the overwhelming smug arrogance all around the place but most importantly that in all the time I've been going there it always produces crap processional racing.

It's a complete homer track and a gaters paradise too. At least this time we were spared the massive holes in the surface that appeared on one of my 2021 visits but we were also almost completely robbed of any exciting contest on the shale either. In sixty laps of racing I would say we maybe had five or six of any genuine interest. Other than that it was six home 5-1 races where both Pirates made the first bend ahead, one Oxford 5-1 after Masters joined Nicholls as a tactical sub and did the same plus a whole set of heats where the race was decided a second or two after tapes up.

It was all the ignorant criticisms of the sport being whoever makes the first bend wins come to vivid life. Oxford didn't help themselves by, Masters aside, being supine for most of the meeting (and their seven is ridiculously unbalanced, offering nothing outside the top three) but better teams will all have the same problem. It wouldn't be so bad if the Pirates fans didn't lap it up so and act as if they were watching world-beating, breath-taking riding rather than mundane dross.

Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to be back smelling the methanol and hearing the bikes, I'd just have liked even a hint of what makes speedway the world's most exiting sport when it is anywhere near its best.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-04-2023, 22:02.

Comment

So we’ve got the first controversy of the season! Nicki Pedersen, star signing for Peterborough just a few weeks ago, got injured in his first meeting when no-one noticed there was a hole in the track. For tonight’s match against Leicester, Peterborough named King’s Lynn’s Nicolai Klindt as a guest for Pedersen. Except Pedersen rode - and scored a maximum - in Poland at the weekend and there is talk that his Polish club have told him he can’t ride over here…. Peterborough called off tonight’s match with 24-hours notice, citing a bad weather forecast, which may well prove to be true but smacks of the league circling the wagons to protect their own…

Comment

Monmore to close to speedway at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X