Rugby League 2023 - Change is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby League 2023 - Change is coming

With the World Cup now a distant memory, it's back to reality for RL in 2023, and what happens off the field is perhaps more important than what happens on it.

First what we know:

A 17th team is added to the NRL, with Redcliffe being the successful candidate for a second Brisbane team.. Except they aren't calling themselves Redcliffe, they are only using their nickname (Dolphins), in order to appeal to a wider audience. They will play most of their home games at Suncorp (the Broncos' home) with occasional games at Redcliffe (three in 2023). They have been added not for the purpose of expanding the sport, but as part of a complicated TV rights chess game which isn't worth getting into here. But it does mean that there will inevitably be an 18th team added before long and that gives more scope to add another city.

Leigh replace Toulouse in Super League, rebranding themselves Leigh Leopards to much hilarity in the RL world.

Locally for me, Workington are back in the mess that is Championship 1, an 11 team competition in which they have ten home games scattered from early March to late August, including three in June. The other ten teams seem to be present and correct, even the hapless Cornwall.

The Challenge Cup starts on the weekend of February 11th/12th, with Dublin City Exiles making a long awaited return.

There has been another attempt to re-unify American RL, but I've lost track of how successful that has been (California RL seem to be still shut out).

The World Cup 2025 qualifiers have already started, with Brazil recently winning the three-team South American Championship, to go on to play US, Canada and Jamaica in the Americas Championship in 2023. There will be an eight-team top tier European Championship (England B, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Serbia, Spain and Italy), and a six team second tier (Greece, Norway, Ukraine, Germany, Netherlands and Czech Republic), with some as yet unknown permutation for sorting out who joins England and France in the European spots for 2025. In Africa, Ghana and Nigeria knocked out Cameroon, to join South Africa and the already-qualified Lebanon in the next round in 2023 to determine who plays off against the Cook Islands.

The minor unknown:

Still no international schedule for the big guns. As mentioned in the 2022 thread, State of Origin is reverting to midweek-only, meaning very little chance of meaningful mid-season tests involving the southern hemisphere teams, so it's all about the autumn. Following Samoa's success in the World Cup, the debate is ongoing around eligibility for Origin

The big unknown:

2023 has been deemed a transitional year before IMG fully gets it hands on the domestic sport in the UK in 2024. We know licensing is coming back, with clubs graded according to a number of criteria, as yet unannounced. The A grade clubs will basically get a permanent place in Super League, with the B grade clubs making up the numbers and sinking or swimming, with relegation possible at the whim of IMG. It is likely that the branding will be changed from "Super League", to something not yet known. IMG seem very keen on a top flight club in London, which they might own themselves. Wouldn't surprise me to see Nines pushed as a concept as they talk repeatedly about the success of The Hundred.

It's going to be a bumpy year.

Leigh should have branded themselves the Kings. The headlines about their defensive capabilities would then just write themselves.

Comment

I don't see why London can't sustain a Superleague club if it is run correctly. Catalan Dragons seem to be a decent established side and they are another 500 miles away.
      I would have thought the most important thing would be to make sure that they have a settled base which is fairly easy to access by travelling supporters. London Broncos have never seemed to have a settled location and that has got to be a shit way to create a decent support base.

Comment

Fucking Leigh. What an embarrassment.

Wakefield are finally building a new stand and we will therefore get relegated. It'll be a miracle if we stay up, but I´ve been saying that since we beat Fev at the McAlpine back in (checks notes) 1998. Just...

2023 is our 150th anniversary and we´ve been at Belle Vue since 1879, so it's one of the oldest rugby grounds of all flavours in the world. Our fixture list for next season has a lot of Friday night games, which is a real inconvenience for me, but I´ll try to get up to two or three with my Dad. He´s getting another season ticket for Christmas, the poor bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Leigh should have branded themselves the Kings. The headlines about their defensive capabilities would then just write themselves.
          We Leigh Kings from Orient are?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            I don't see why London can't sustain a Superleague club if it is run correctly. Catalan Dragons seem to be a decent established side and they are another 500 miles away.
            I would have thought the most important thing would be to make sure that they have a settled base which is fairly easy to access by travelling supporters. London Broncos have never seemed to have a settled location and that has got to be a shit way to create a decent support base.
            True, it's always been their problem (going back to the Fulham and Crusaders days) and they have always been caught between getting somewhere affordable and building modest support in that part of London (only to get turfed out and start all over again somewhere else) and trying for somewhere more ambitious which appeals to a wider audience and is more accessible.

With a magic wand I'd put them at Loftus Road but QPR don't seem to have ever shown much interest in having them, and at present it would be of limited financial benefit to them (QPR) anyway.

I'm more interested in making sure there is at least a solid semi-pro base in London to ensure an attractive "pathway" for junior players into the pro ranks, properly tapping into the potential player pool in London is one of the ways we can narrow the gap between us and the southern hemisphere nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              Locally for me, Workington are back in the mess that is Championship 1, an 11 team competition in which they have ten home games scattered from early March to late August, including three in June. The other ten teams seem to be present and correct, even the hapless Cornwall.
              Spoke too soon here, the equally hapless West Wales Raiders pulled out today.

Comment

We're up and running, the Championship has started, the NRL pre season challenge games underway, All Star matches today and Challenge Cup this weekend.

St Helens get to take part in the NRL shenanigans, today's warm up game win against an understrength St George (which for some reason I can't watch on catch up) and next weeks World Club Challenge against Penrith both counting towards the mini competition. The competition uses various criteria to award bonus points to separate the multiple teams who will end up with two wins, but I can't be bothered explaining it.

Good day today for men in uniform, with the Navy, Air Force and Polis all winning in the Challenge Cup, and there were a number of match ups involving teams from non traditional areas, the most notable of which being Dublin's win over Hammersmith, one of London's better amateur teams. Edinburgh's home game was on the BBC live stream so is probably on iplayer.

Comment

I need to slim into my new home and away xxl shirts. The new kit supplier must have made them more snug.
                  Our luck may finally run out this season. It all feels very low key.
                  Last edited by The Mighty Trin; 11-02-2023, 22:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    We're up and running, the Championship has started, the NRL pre season challenge games underway, All Star matches today and Challenge Cup this weekend.

St Helens get to take part in the NRL shenanigans, today's warm up game win against an understrength St George (which for some reason I can't watch on catch up) and next weeks World Club Challenge against Penrith both counting towards the mini competition. The competition uses various criteria to award bonus points to separate the multiple teams who will end up with two wins, but I can't be bothered explaining it.

Good day today for men in uniform, with the Navy, Air Force and Polis all winning in the Challenge Cup, and there were a number of match ups involving teams from non traditional areas, the most notable of which being Dublin's win over Hammersmith, one of London's better amateur teams. Edinburgh's home game was on the BBC live stream so is probably on iplayer.
                    Concerning the World Club Championship, I was at Kyle Amor’s testimonial night at Whitehaven a couple of weeks ago and Tommy Makinson and Jack Welsby were there. Both came across very well in the Q & A and were full of good humour until it came to talk of the Penrith game. It transpires that Jarome Laui (who has a rep for being a bit mouthy) had a few things to say to England players after the WC semi final and the English contingent in the Saints team seem keen to “get after” him. Gives the game a bit if added spice.

Featherstone already making a statement in the first week with a 50-0 defeat of a Keighley side expected to be competitive in the Championship. The still strong and full time Toulouse will be undoubtedly up there with them fighting for top spot. Beneath them Halifax, Barrow, Batley and hopefully Widnes will be slugging it out for the higher places. John Kear has certainly identified a lack of bulk in the pack he inherited last season at the Vikings and had brought in the aforementioned Amor ad pack leader for a last hurrah season as well as Welsh international Ant Walker and the highly rated young Lewis Hatton from Swinton. With former players Tom Gilmore and Jordan Johnstone brought back to lead them around the park from scrum half and hooker respectively it could be brighter times at the club. They started well enough with a solid win at York.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1624716307957424128?s=19

Comment

I see that Joe Westerman has been caught in the act... Ponte's finest.

Comment

He's going to be the butt of a few jokes.

Comment

Great stuff on Channel 4. St. Helens 10-0 up against Penrith and they've had to come off because of a torrential thunderstorm.

Comment

Fair play to Saints, that was a great win, well deserved. What a match too.

Comment

Well excuse my language, but fuck you Phil Gould.

Comment

It’s only February but I doubt there will be a better performance by any British sports team this year. This is the Penrith team that have dominated an incredibly strong NRL competition for the last two years.

Comment

Brilliant game. Saints had it won, then had to go and win it again. That's two World Championships in 2023 for St Helens (Michael Smith won the darts), they're going to need new road signs.

Comment

Good start for KR, that move started right from their own line.

Comment

Thought Wigan were going to dominate that half after they went behind, I reckon HKR did well to go in with a lead. The kicking for goal has quite obviously been the difference.
                                        Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 18-02-2023, 14:55.

Comment

Great second half performance. Even when Wigan pulled their way back in they just increased the pressure and extended the lead again.

Comment

those Leigh shirts are pretty eye catching

Comment

This is excellent

Comment

Wigan did not play Wakefield today and it shall never be mentioned again. Sob.

Comment

I'd say that Wigan did play Wakefield, the issue was that Wakefield did not play Wigan.

My commiserations on your loss.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X