AFL 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFL 2013

Appears to have already started, but as yet, hasn't graced ESPN with its televisual presence. Defending champions Sydney Swans began the season with a 30-point win in the Sydney derby, Port Adelaide could well prove a "Power" after thumping Melbourne, while after a woeful 2012, the Bulldogs caused the first major shock against NAB Cup victors Brisbane. Most Irish interest will centre, as usual, around the local exports, with Setanta Ó hAilpín moving to GWS, while Tommy Walsh will have limited opportunities with the champions.

AFL 2013

Cool, i was just about to start whining at the resident Aussies about getting this set up. Here's hoping that Hawthorn can challenge again, and maybe Richmond can bust out of their decade of lower-mid-tableness. A bit bummed though that the "Super Goal" is apparently just a NAB cup thing, and not at all sure about the new tackling-from-behind rule.

Setanta Ó hAilpín
    Have you tried any of these, DR?

Comment

AFL 2013

Alyx, were you here when Melbourne Arab was giving his reports ?

He was a St. Kilda fan, and gave long, wonderful reports about each Saints game and the league in general.

Awesome dude. Hopefully he just started a Saints blog or something.

Comment

AFL 2013

I wasn't, alas; apparently all the cool kids except for you and MsD left before i got here, or perhaps when i got here.

Comment

AFL 2013

Was Essendon's 184-56 result against Melbourne a record team score - would imagine GWS and Gold Coast have been beaten by more?

Comment

AFL 2013

It was 184-36 (5,6). It was their record winning margin (148 points) against Melbourne beaten only by a 165 point victory against South Melbourne in 1964 (184-19).

Comment

AFL 2013

It was 184-36 (5,6). It was their record winning margin (148 points) against Melbourne beaten only by a 165 point victory against South Melbourne in 1964 (184-19).

Essendon club records

Comment

AFL 2013

Richmond do seem to have woken up a bit this year, knocking over Carlton and St Kilda in the first two rounds. They might finally make the finals this year.

Geelong remain, to me, the most impressive team in the competition - they've somehow managed to regenerate their list and have shown incredible resilience to come from behind in the first two rounds against decent teams (Hawthorn and North).

Sadly, for me at least, Brisbane's NAB cup victory looks like a false dawn - smashed by the mediocre Bulldogs in round 1 and knocked off at home last week. Could be another long year at the 'Gabba.

Comment

AFL 2013

This must be ticking on now, no updates? Was reminded of the AFL seeing the Lions play at the Telstra Dome on Saturday ...

Comment

AFL 2013

I'm two weeks behind on the highlight shows so don't have anything useful to say, except that i really don't understand this year's tackle-from-behind rule. Apparently you're supposed to politely tap the ball-carrier on the shoulder and then tackle him when he turns around, which is proving to be a little harder than it sounds.

Comment

AFL 2013

BBQ filled, beer obtained, schedule cleared, DVR set up, ready to go... Freo looked really frightening v. Sydney in the prelim, hope this isn't a blowout.

Comment

AFL 2013

Freeo made a game of it, but never looked likely to win. Grand Final nerves might have had something to do with it, but they seemed to either miskick, mishandle or fall over whenever they had chance to do something. Or Hawthorn were just too strong. Half time entertainment featured the most boring band I've ever heard, and there didn't seem to be enough dancing girls.

I remember saying to melbourne arab three or four years ago that it should be Fremantle's turn to win a premiership by now. The AFL usually manage to organise these things, but they have probably had too much on their plate this season what with the Essendon drugs scandal, and with their pathetic western Sydney club being totally eclipsed by the A League's Western Sydney Wanderers in term of support and on-field success.

It will be Freeo's turn next season, you'll see... the AFL will rig the draft and organise it....

Comment

AFL 2013

Ah, these madcap AFL guys , I don't know ... hang on SETTING A DWARF ON FIRE?!

Comment

Working...
                          X