X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The rink in Toronto is an example of facadism

It used to be a post office
    I'm not an architect critic, but I think that kinda suffers from the Soldier Field problem.

Comment

Canucks turn down an offer from Pittsburgh for JT Miller as the return was all draft picks. Interesting as it indicates the Nux are not in 'tear it down and rebuild' mode. Risky, but probably the right policy as they'd risk wasting Pettersson, Hughes and the young Russian contingent's best years.

Comment

Yeah but the problem with not trading JT Miller for a load of draft picks is that you are stuck with JT Miller.

Comment

Too true. Though it must be said he's been better lately

Comment

I was in LA this week visiting family so a steady diet of Kings games (3 games during the last 6 days), including seeing the game against Columbus at the now named Crypto.com arena. I have not watched a lot this season but the broadcast featured some new trick, or new to me, where there are black line tracers that follow the puck during power plays and during over time. This was so annoying. Way worse than Fox's glowing ring around the puck back in the day.

Comment

I have not seen that.

Comment

Nor I

Definitely a thing for "non traditional markets"

Comment

It's really disconcerting. Particularly when puck is on a player's stick. It kinda surrounds the blade and puck which don't move in the same way, or at the same speed. However you can't help but watch the black line instead.

Comment

It was on the home broadcast of Islanders at Ducks last week as well.

Comment

LA and Anaheim are both Bally Sports/Diamond joints

Hopefully this will die with them

Comment

The NHL seems to be following the Facebook model of just introducing features with little input and then wait to see what the response is.
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-03-2023, 17:36.

Comment

Scroll to 6:20 and watch from there. It's brutal.

Comment

*Vomiting Emoji*

At least they weren't so braindead as to use it for the shootout.

Comment

They used it when the Kings had a power play and only when the Kings had possession of the puck. Then they used it for both teams during OT, as you can see from that footage (esp. since the Kings barely had possession during OT).

Comment

After Wisconsin won the Women's title for the seventh time (defeating Ohio State in the final), the men's tournament starts today

BU have jumped out to an early lead against Western Michigan in the first game

Full bracket here

https://twitter.com/followthepuck/status/1637604578060279815?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

HP's lads doing a bit better than mine

Men's Hockey finally a BIG sport

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                    Scroll to 6:20 and watch from there. It's brutal.

I don’t mind that on highlights. Watching on my phone, it does make it easier to see. I wouldn’t want that on a regular tv broadcast.

Comment

HP's lads doing a bit better than mine

Men's Hockey finally a BIG sport
                                      The four B1G teams won their games by a combined score of 36-4 (and counting Michigan is up 11-1 on Colgate late).

PSU will either figure out how to beat Michigan and it will be the greatest win in the program’s history by far or, more likely, we’ll get blown out by them again and it will just be a bummer ending to a season that looked so promising in the fall.

PSU just doesn’t have the high end NHL-caliber talent that Michigan or Minnesota have.

It could be worse. We could be Wisconsin. They did get high end talent and finished 37th in the pairwise and then fired Tony Granato as coach.

Comment

Harvard was only a point behind Ohio State on pairwise. It may need adjustments.

These shellackings make Cornell shutting Denver out all the more striking

Comment

Denver weren’t in great form, I suppose. After winning their league, they didn’t score a single goal in the post-season. They lost in the NCHC semi to CC 1-0.

Lots of blowouts in the first round. Cornell - Denver was the only one still in any doubt late. That’s unusual.

Comment

Canisius played the Gophers hard for two periods before they were vaporised

Comment

Canisius played the Gophers hard for two periods before they were vaporised
                                              That’s a good description of it.

Comment

If you were casting director looking for a guy to play a Boston union leader in a film, the director would say this guy is too obvious.
                                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-04-2023, 00:12.

Comment

Youth sports are messed up.
                                                  One in a series by Westhed and others about how one of the top youth leagues in the country is full of corruption - parents buying teams or at least the right to run the team. 10 year-olds' hockey is not bringing in a lot of revenue, obviously, so they're doing it just to give their kid more ice time (presumably).
                                                  https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/for...nces-1.1942040

And then there's this Cohen Brothers-esque character.
                                                  https://www.startribune.com/white-be...uit/600264852/

Olson worked as a paid employee of the nonprofit hockey association and oversaw charitable gambling, including sales of pull-tabs, electronic pull-tabs, paddle tickets and raffles. The money raised helps defray costs for the association, which serves about 800 kids.

Charitable gambling accounts for a big part of the association's fundraising. A 2021 audit found gambling produced more than $31.9 million in revenue, $4.6 million in net revenue and $871,362 in profits. In 2022, under Olson's management, total gambling profits dropped to $680,387, despite an increase in revenue.

Trouble began brewing in May 2022, when the board approved opening a bingo hall. Olson, who was paid a salary of $129,000 last year, said with the added responsibility she would need a raise, but none was approved at that time.
                                                  Later on in the article it points out that she got a big raise "just to smooth things over."
                                                  I'm not sure what pull-tabs are or the difference between revenue and net revenue in that sentence, but that's a lot of money for raffles.

Comment

The NCAA final will be Minnesota Golden Gophers vs the Fightin' Pollsters of Quinnipiac (Bobcats). In Tampa.

Minnesota and it's NHL-pick-stacked roster beat BU and it's somewhat less-stacked roster with a big third period. Q beat Michigan and it's absurd roster, which is great because Michigan's whole thing is insufferable.

Quinnipiac seems to have lot of players who were born in the US but played Junior A in western Canada.

Good season for BU. They, as well as BC, have been in the doldrums for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X