England v South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England v South Africa

Can't recall being as pessimistic about an England Test series since the 94-95 Ashes. Notwithstanding, SA's over-emphasised reputation as chokers, they look better than us in every department. Could be quite chastening, really, given that the past two series against the Saffers were as emblematic as any of how good England briefly became earlier in this decade (the 2-2 five years ago was one of the great under-rated series).

England v South Africa

I'm afraid to say I totally agree with you E10.

The odds offered by Stan James - Evens - for South Africa to win the series tempts me to go and take out a large loan. South Africa look strong in every department.

Comment

England v South Africa

Steyn apart, I don't think the South African bowling is that good. Morkel isn't quite there (though I worry this tour might be a breakthrough for him) and Ntini is past his best. And England definitely hold the edge in the spin department. However, England's batting showed against NZ that it can struggle against bowling that's not top rate, and Sidebottom and Anderson might not be as penetrating later in the season when it doesn't swing as much.

Is it a 5 test series? I think another 2-2 is possible.

Comment

England v South Africa

Anyway, surely the script is written for England to fall behind, only for Flintoff and Jones to return to full fitness and swing the series.

Comment

England v South Africa

Etienne nails it completely.

I think this could be the real breakthrough series for Hashim Amla. He has scored two big centuries in two warm-up games. But I'm not convinced by the Smith/McKenzie opening partnership.

Comment

England v South Africa

Slightly surprised at E10's pessimism. South Africa are favorites, but a drawn series or even narrow England win wouldn't be that unexpected. Weren't you at least as anxious before the last Ashes?

England have a quality spinner, which might make a difference. And as G-Man suggests, McKenzie may struggle to match Gibbs's runs in previous series.

Until hearing him smacked around Chester Le Street on Friday, I thought Durham's Morkel was joining the international squad.

Any of the England support going to Lord's? I'll be there on Sunday DV . AB de Villiers the Ultonian interest in this game (scored a couple of 200s when playing for Carrickfergus during his gap year).

PS Simon Jones interviewed by Andrea Catherwood on the BBC earlier today: "Cricket's a big game in Wales. But rugby's the biggest". Ptang and Porbillas to thread...

Comment

England v South Africa

I think England need to take advantage of McKenzie's 'issues' and pay a toilet attendant to put all their toilet seats up.

Comment

England v South Africa

You lost me there, TPC, but it sounds like you have a good story to tell.

Comment

England v South Africa

Paul Harris looked OK when I saw him on telly. While he isn't Bishen Bedi, he can fill a traditional weakness in South African bowling, and mean the quicker chaps do less tying down than in the past. I don't know how Kallis is bowling, but he might benefit from being released from stock duties such as he was landed with in 1998.

Comment

England v South Africa

From the Spin:

When a player says more than "I've got to stick to the right areas" and "no, we're not going to treat KP any differently", you'll forgive a poor quotes-seeking hack for retching with excitement. Which may explain why the South African opener Neil McKenzie will forever bequizzed about his obsessive compulsive disorder, a destructive affliction as the Spin - who just can't stop writing cricket emails every Tuesday - knows only too well. No matter that McKenzie gave up his tics and rituals "five or six years ago", as he said yesterday:the next best thing to a fresh angle is an angle that can be regurgitated without fear of being boring. [I'll be the judge of that- Spin ed.]

"It's gone a while ago," McKenzie sighed yesterday. "I think the subject's just resurfaced with my recall to the Test side. It's just something I brought along to make myself more interesting. Some of the articles get blown out of proportion." And with that he arranged all the Dictaphones in a neat line in front of him. Actually, he didn't, and we really shouldn't laugh because who can honestly say they don't religiously avoid the cracks on the pavement or believe that bad things won't happen if the curtains aren't drawn all the way across? Eh? Ah.

Anyway, McKenzie humoured the journalists sufficiently to recall the famous moment when his team-mates at the team formerly known as Transvaal taped his bat to the ceiling. He scored a hundred with it next day and thereafter always made sure the bat was, well, taped to the ceiling. Other rituals included making sure every toilet seat in the dressing room was up when he went out to bat, and not treading on any lines out in the middle - a foible that used to amuse the Australians in particular.

"It was a bit of a process to go through to get it dealt with," he chuckled, straightening the tape recorder of a journo who had just joined the conversation. "It was a confidence, self-belief thing. Sometimes it hinders your preparation, something it helps. I found it was clouding my preparation time. I thought I was going to get married quite soon and have kids, so thought I'd better on focus on other things than getting my bat taped to the ceiling." One thing is for sure, as this little item demonstrates: hardly a piece will be written about McKenzie this summer without reference to toilet seats. Start counting now.

Comment

England v South Africa

So, England unchanged for the 6th time, ignoring that Collingwood has absolute crap for over a year now.

Comment

England v South Africa

They'd get more runs out of Flintoff on current form.

Comment

England v South Africa

Bit harsh. Flintoff's had 2 half-decent knocks, but hadn't scored a run for 18 months before that.

Comment

England v South Africa

Assuming the pundits are right and Flintoff returns for the second test, who should make way? Will it be the third seamer, Broad or Anderson? Or- given AF's recent batting mini-revival, his fellow all-rounder Collingwood? Should they replace Ambrose with a weaker keeper who can bat at six (Prior)? Or even- and this one is a bit left-field- drop the non-batting and -fielding Monty with KP and Vaughan twirling a few overs of spin? What does the panel think?

Meanwhile, G-Man gets into the head of Saffers' pace spearhead?

Comment

England v South Africa

I think even 'mini-revival' is pushing it a bit. Flintoff really isn't worthy of consideration at the moment.

I'm with E10 in the pessimism corner. I've also got tickets for two days at Headingly and the long term weather forecast suggests I've wasted a bit of money, too.

Comment

England v South Africa

Tony- I was joking about Flintoff's batting. If he's fit to bowl 20 overs a day over a test match, pick him as a bowler and bat him at #8 instead of Broad or Anderson. If he can only play with four other bowlers (ie because his fitness is still suspect), then he shouldn't be picked.

Hope the weather improves for you. I'm at Lord's on Sunday.

Comment

England v South Africa

I'd put Flintoff in and replace a bowler. Forgive me the armchair physiotherapy but, as I always say, I see him as a Shane Bond, with a general tendency to break down rather than having a particular injury to get over. I'd rather England got the work out of him than Lancashire.

Comment

England v South Africa

Flintoff's batting form is completely irrelevant, he's England's only world-class bowler. I'd be happy to see him in the team batting at 11.

Comment

England v South Africa

What is it with Vaughan and losing the toss?

Comment

England v South Africa

Oooh, bad toss to lose.

Mind you, England always lose at Lord's, it's becoming a tradition. The series always starts for real at the second test. England will not play at their most productive test-ground again until 2011.

England's batsmen do better against genuine pace than most, so I think England could well win this series.

(Feel free to hurl abuse at me in August after we've been whitewashed.)

Comment

England v South Africa

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                          It's not just Vaughan. Hussain probably managed to win abot twice in his tenure as captain as well.

Comment

England v South Africa

Boycott's on fire this morning, isn't he?

Comment

England v South Africa

Not literally, I hope, Though I'd not cry if he was.

Comment

England v South Africa

S.A. bowled much to short, and a little wide in the first session. I think they are potentially victims of their own hype.

Comment

England v South Africa

Eggchaser wrote:
                                                  Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                                  It's not just Vaughan. Hussain probably managed to win abot twice in his tenure as captain as well.
                                                  Come on folks, nearly two whole hours have passed and no-one has made a useless tossers joke, sometimes I despair, it would never have happened in the days of the old board...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X