Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Was it ever in common use?

Always struck me as absolute poetic licence.
    Given that there were parts of england that spoke barely comprehensible dialects, when Blake was banging out that poem, It might have been in use somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      I'm not sure it isn't just expressing racism, in the form of permanent Christian supremacy as a God-given destiny, in a higher form of language than GSTQ does.
      Ah please, that's a wild take. if Blake was a Christian he was of the Swedenborg type.

Comment

“That’s Entertainment” is a tremendous shout for a British national anthem. “Lights going out and a kick in the balls…”. Such a great song that took years to click with me.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
          “That’s Entertainment” is a tremendous shout for a British national anthem. “Lights going out and a kick in the balls…”. Such a great song that took years to click with me.

​​​​​​After I got the shit kicked out of me in a vicious street attack, I discussed it with a friend and asked what the hell five blokes got out of kicking someone laying on the ground in the head.

The name of the song was his reply.

Comment

Jerusalem is also (and more obviously) the capital of Palestine too, so it's not necessarily going to upset the Qataris as much as you might want it to

Comment

There are interesting discussion of the "satanic mills = established church" hypothesis here

https://literature.stackexchange.com...e-church-of-en

and here (starting at answer 2)

https://literature.stackexchange.com...akes-jerusalem

Comment

The most obvious suggestion for a replacement National Anthem is “Land Down Under” for Australia. Yes, some more stuck up folk might object to one line of the chorus, and yes, one verse has some issues about promoting a commercial brand. But those are not good enough reasons to dismiss it. Nowhere near good enough, in fact.
                This all remains the case despite the current anthem being one of the least objectionable ones.

Comment

As for Britain, it should stay as GStQ... just not the current version. The late 1970s re-imaging is more the thing.

Comment

It really doesn't help that a lot of the time Blake makes less sense than Wesley WIllis.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                      The most obvious suggestion for a replacement National Anthem is “Land Down Under” for Australia. Yes, some more stuck up folk might object to one line of the chorus, and yes, one verse has some issues about promoting a commercial brand. But those are not good enough reasons to dismiss it. Nowhere near good enough, in fact.
                      This all remains the case despite the current anthem being one of the least objectionable ones.
                      The song's title is just 'Down Under'.

To illustrate your point, it was played immediately after literally every Australian gold medal ceremony in the Commonwealth Athletics during Glasgow 2014.

My children were very disappointed that tradition wasn't continued in Birmingham last week.

Returning to 'Jerusalem', the only evidence I saw of any English gold medalists knowing the words were the Womens Hockey team but they did give it a particularly lusty rendition.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        As for Britain, it should stay as GStQ...
                        What possible reason could you have for thinking that?

Comment

He was meaning the Sex Pistols.

Comment

Ah, I see. Very good.

Comment

Sadly for Men At Work, they don't get full royalties on Down Under because they lost a plagiarism case over the flute part.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Ah please, that's a wild take. if Blake was a Christian he was of the Swedenborg type.
                                I'm not talking about author intent, though. It's how the song got appropriated by Last Night At The Proms cunts, especially after the Falklands War, and the wanker element in the rugby union support (note: by no means all rugby union fans).

Comment

But that has nothing to do with any anti-religosity

All anthems are highly likely to be hijacked by reactionary nationalists.

Comment

Working...
                                  X