No announcement yet.

Worst sporting performances you've seen live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WBA's display against Woking in the infamous 2-4 defeat isn't only the worst I've seen live, but has to be a candidate for the most incompetent by any team of full-time professionals ever.

Zilina 0 Marseille 7 in the 2010/2011 Champions League is next among those I've actually witnessed. Marseille weren't that good, but Zilina picked the wrong team, used the wrong tactics and gifted goals at regular intervals via individual mistakes. I still say the sixth goal was handball though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
      In terms of professional sport, Cambridge and Cheltenham once combined for an Autoglass/Whatever Cup game, that was so bad (and on such a cold night) that the the Cambridge fans (those of us idiotic enough to be there) were cheering for Cheltenham when they attacked during golden goal extra-time on the grounds of ‘someone please score so I can go home and defrost’. Neither did of course, the match eventually being decided on penalties.
      The coldest game I ever went to was against Cheltenham playing Cambridge at the Abbey, but that was in February 2005. It had been snowing, and was the first time I'd seen my uncle wear a coat to a game.

In terms of poor performances, the worst I can recall was losing 26-0 as an under 14. It was 3-0 at half-time!!! Professionally, any of Cheltenham's "performances" in the 2014/15 season rank as low as any I can recall.

Comment

Matthew Hoggard, Yorkshire v Lancashire, 22 June 2005, Twenty20 Cup
        Bowling figures of 4-0-65-2, conceding 24 off his second over - this in the days of T20 being new and batting being less aggressive than now.

Michael Theoklitos, Norwich v Colchester, 8 August 2009, League One
        Theoklitos, on his debut, conceded five goals before half-time and seven in total.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 27-07-2022, 08:35.

Comment

Oh Christ. That has reminded me of Scott Boswell in the domestic Cup Final. I was there for that game. It was painful and not just because I was supporting Leicestershire. That single over effectively ended his professional career, and caused him some long term mental health problems.

Comment

I was there when Glamorgan recorded a record low domestic T20 score. First time we'd ever lost at The Oval in the format too.

Comment

Netherlands 7 Wales 1 in a rain-drenched Eindhoven Philips Stadion in 1996 was one of the many contenders for lowest point as a Welsh supporter under Bobby Gould's management.

Two salient points will underline how bad it was, Neville Southall was unanimously considered man of the match despite conceding seven and Vinnie Jones was captain.

Comment

Pretty much every England performance in Perth. WBA v Ipswich sometime in the 70s 0-0. Awful. Lost 18-0 as a keeper but I was also man of the match. Go figure.

Comment

Switzerland 2 Ireland 0 towards the end of Brian Kerr's term as manager. If ever there was a " couldn't give a fuck " performance by an Irish side it was that one. Some of Jack's later games as manager, two 3.1 defeats to an average Austria side, and 0.0 away to Liechtenstein stand out

Comment

Working...
                  X