Emma's Eminence - Wimbledon 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emma's Eminence - Wimbledon 2022

Bit wobbly but she's got through her first set on Centre Court. What sort of reception did No-Vac get earlier from the crowd? When I switched on his match had finished.

Sinner v Wawrinka warming up into a very good match match. 6-5 Sinner first set as I type.

Comment

I always thought there was more to it than just the vaccine issue with Novax during the Australian saga. I think he's on a rapid decline, and I think he knows it. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets knocked out sometime around the Quarters.

Having said that, being the type of bloke he is, he'll blast his way to the title and make me look like an idiot.

Comment

I reckon the thread title for this year’s Wimbo should have been “Pointless”.

Comment

I think 9 Brits are into round 2. Harriet Dart is still left to play so it could be 10.

Comment

Harmony Tan looks more than capable of beating Serena here. Down 3-1 in the third set, now up 4-3 after having Serena chasing all of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
              I think 9 Brits are into round 2. Harriet Dart is still left to play so it could be 10.
              On the men's singles side, I doubt if any of us expected that 6 British men would make it to R2, especially with Dan Evans not being amongst them.

I just learnt today that Ryan Peniston had to overcome a rare cancer as a child, which involved both surgery and chemo. Makes it all the more impressive that he's made it to where he is now in tennis of course.

Comment

Nearly didn't bother watching the Williams-Tan match, but am very glad I did. An absolute epic. You don't see many three set matches go over the three hour mark.

Comment

Nick Kyrgios doesn't understand why people think it's OK to abuse sports stars verbally in their place of work. He says it's not like he goes into Argos and abuses the staff.

I agree with his point for the most part but I am pretty sure Kyrgios is happy to verbally abuse chair umpires and line judges in their place of work.

That being said, I love the theatre and drama that he brings. A tremendous personality to watch.
                  Last edited by multipleman78; 28-06-2022, 23:34.

Comment

Williams looked very tired at the start of the third set but I didn't think that she would actually lose, despite the trouble she seemed to keep getting into. Especially up in the tiebreak, it looked like Tan was done for. But then Tan had a handful of incredible winners in a row and it suddenly became "oh my god, she is really going to do this, isn't she?"

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                      Nick Kyrgios doesn't understand why people think it's OK to abuse sports stars verbally in their place of work. He says it's not like he goes into Argos and abuses the staff.

I agree with his point for the most part but I am pretty sure Kyrgios is happy to verbally abuse chair umpires and line judges in their place of work.

That being said, I love the theatre and drama that he brings. A tremendous personality to watch.
                      Based on his undoubted high levels of skill his singles career has been one of huge underachievement, going no better than two Grand Slam quarter finals and only six tour titles, a really poor return for a player of his ability. Despite all his bluster and apparent extreme self confidence he still folds on the big occasions. I’m no psychologist but perhaps that’s the reason for his almost constant sense of internal bitterness, that inability to fulfil his true potential. I don’t think he would even try to kid himself that a Grand Slam doubles win would begin to redress the balance. A great entertainer, yes, and usually very watchable but I suspect he expected his legacy to be greater than the Matt Le Tissier of tennis.

Comment

Does he spout vollocks on talk radio too?

Comment

Dart won her delayed R1 match today, so it was/is 10 Brits (six men and four women) making it to R2 of the men’s and women’s singles, which I think I saw was the highest number since the 1980s. R2 not going as well so far though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            Dart won her delayed R1 match today, so it was/is 10 Brits (six men and four women) making it to R2 of the men’s and women’s singles, which I think I saw was the highest number since the 1980s. R2 not going as well so far though.
                            Last time it happened Frankie GTH were Number 1 with Two Tribes. 1984

Comment

Cameron Norrie is the highest ranked player left in his quarter of the draw, after Casper Ruud goes out.

Comment

Murray out too. It’s churlish to say he should quit now and preserve his legacy from being compromised from defeats by lesser players because he clearly doesn’t want to. Maybe to preserve his mobility as he gets older is a more pressing reason. He needs to look after those hips.
                                Last edited by Tony C; 29-06-2022, 20:36.

Comment

Hips don't lie.

Comment

I was very excited to note that Novak D lost in 3 sets today. Before I realised that it was someone (Dennis Novak) whose surname is Novak

Comment

Norrie's into the last 16 (go Brits!)

Where the fuck is Janik?

Comment

Great to see Heather Watson reach the last 16. It feels like I’ve been willing her on for about 25 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Last time it happened Frankie GTH were Number 1 with Two Tribes.
                                          And now with Kate Bush at number one. Seems like only yesterday.

Comment

The chart career of Running Up That Hill started with Boris Becker as newly crowned champ and will end with him in the nick.

Comment

Kyrgios is absolutely right here. Tsitsipas should have been defaulted.

Comment

Fecking BBC showing a Nadal walkover instead of the far more interesting Kyrgios-Tsitsipas match. So I switch to iPlayer to watch the latter, at lower quality, and 5 minutes later they switch that to Nadal. Fecking sycophants.
                                                Last edited by Nurse Duckett; 02-07-2022, 19:13.

Comment

They've got it on another stream now, the one that says it is Kvitova.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X