Silverst-gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverst-gone

British GP will be at Donington Park as of 2010, for 10 years.

End of an era etc.

Silverst-gone

It's been at Silverstone for too long. I preferred it when they used to spread it around a bit more. Anyone else ever been to Aintree for car racing?

Comment

Silverst-gone

That must be spectacular with all those fences to negotiate.

Comment

Silverst-gone

I'll be interested to see what Donington plan to do with the local roads. It's mental around there when Moto GP or Download is on.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Yeah.

Because rural Buckinghamshire is the touchstone when it comes to well-managed transport infrastructure, isn't it?

Comment

Silverst-gone

I'm only a part time viewer of F1 at best, so can someone explain why the qualifying times are as follows? What's going on?

Qualifying times for British GP:

1. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes one minute 21.049 seconds
            2. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:21.554
            3. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:21.706
            4. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.835
            5. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:21.873
            6. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:22.029
            7. Nelson Piquet (Bra) Renault 1:22.491
            8. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:23.251
            9. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:23.305
            10. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber no time
            11. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:20.174
            12. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:20.274
            13. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.531
            14. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:20.601
            15. Kazuki Nakajima (Jap) Williams-Toyota 1:21.112
            16. Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Honda 1:21.512
            17. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:21.631
            18. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:21.668
            19. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 1:21.786
            20. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 1:21.885

Comment

Silverst-gone

It's dependent on lots of things. How much fuel the cars take into qualifying, what the conditions are like (it was windy and sporadically rainy yesterday) etc.
              Kovalainen drove a beauty, Webber had a low fuel load (16 laps or so) and Hamilton, despite being fastest all weekend had a wobble in his 2nd last qualifying lap so had to make 100% sure he got the car round in one piece in the last one. And Massa had an off and missed the last round of qualifying.
              Superb start to the race today. Hamilton was brilliant and Kovalainen's move to hold him off at the 2nd turn was excellent.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Oh hang on, I see what you mean. There are 3 qualifying rounds. You have to be in the top 15 to go into round 2 and top 10 to go into round 3.
                The times are lower as in Q3 it was wet and windy. The top drivers were putting in 1.19's etc. for Q1.

Comment

Silverst-gone

That was a superb race. Hamilton kicked everyones arse too.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Gotcha, i understand now. The bottom ranks were knocked out in faster conditions and the top dogs fought for pole when it was raining.

Nice to see hamilton win, well done him.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Guy Potger wrote:
                      Yeah.

Because rural Buckinghamshire is the touchstone when it comes to well-managed transport infrastructure, isn't it?
                      Northamptonshire.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Yeah. Nothing of interest is in Bucks. Nothing at all.

Comment

Silverst-gone

I have no idea Guy, as I've never been to/been past Silverstone on a race day. I do however regularly go past Donington. It may only be 3 miles from the M1, but there also happens to be an international airport between the two.

Great race yesterday, they should all be held in the rain I reckon.

Comment

Silverst-gone

Agreed that running them all in the rain would be ace, though we would have to change our tickets for Monza.

Ferrari need to get a new weather guy (or just assume that this one's predictions are always wrong).

Comment

Silverst-gone

I hate to hear it when a circuit is dropped (or considered for being dropped) because of the weather. I'm pretty certain they wanted to drop Ile de Notre Dame for that reason. I much prefer to see drivers having to cope with adverse conditions. After all, F1/FIA would be guilty of inconsistency if they say that they want to take away technological 'driver aids' to make their skill paramount, but then cossett them by protecting them from any sort of meteorological unpleasantness.

(Zandvoort was fair enough, though - you can't have sand dunes drifting onto a track!)

I miss Brands Hatch. :-( I used to love the part where they'd disappear into the trees. However, they don't even use the full circuit for Touring Cars, these days - is it really that dangerous?

From a purely selfish perspective, I wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Prix come to Thruxton. Not going to happen, though.

Comment

Silverst-gone

They should bring back Spa, that always had fun weather.

Comment

Silverst-gone

I'd love to see them bring back the full circuit of Spa, the Nurburgring and Clermont-Ferrand, which was so twisty, drivers were known to retire with car sickness and some even wore open-faced helmets, in case they had to be sick on the move!

Going off-topic almost entirely, whenever I catch the train to London, I have to pass the remains of Brooklands. Even in the 20+ years I've been making that journey, the amount that the track has been allowed to deteriorate is remarkable and a terrible shame. There's no way they could have races on the banked circuit - its top lip almost meets with the rail track at one point. I just think it would have been a nice thing to restore it to its former glory and have a motor racing museum there. Alas, it looks like it's all going to be swallowed by the business park there, now. :-(

Comment

Working...
                                  X