Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no Bannerman.

Comment

Is there a highlights show for the SA test?

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
        Still no Bannerman.
        The women's (and overall) record is held by Enid Bakewell (112/164 = 68.3%) for her second innings performance in the 3rd England v West Indies Test in 1979

Comment

Good knowledge. Bakewell was a great player.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
            Is there a highlights show for the SA test?
            Yes - BBC red button / iplayer at 10pm. If it's anything like last year it'll be the TMS commentary over the pictures with a few links from Moeran / Hartley. There's also a very bitesize four and an half minute highlight package already on the BBC website if you want to see the key incidents from a range of angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
              Bairstow finishes the series with 394 runs from 328 balls, if my maths is correct (369 off 293 in the last three innings).

Edit: It wasn't.
              It would be interesting to compare highest ever strike rates for players facing more than 300 balls in a series.

Comment

There are data issues before this era, but

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1541466638368784385?s=21&t=-cmqTfBaECrj6C_SddcYwA

Comment

That's one of the most enjoyable series I've seen in a while. Last night I decided to watch a couple of overs before heading to bed and 40 minutes later it was all done and dusted. All sorts of qualifiers can be applied of course, but given England had 5 or 6 bowlers out it was a fair achievement even given NZ being undermanned too.

India will be a sterner test perhaps, but sometimes when you witness the birth of a new era for a sport you don't realise it. I get the sense that's what we have witnessed here.

Comment

It's an exciting new era and I'm grumpy about it. Partly because NZ were on the receiving end and simply weren't good enough, but mostly because of the many hours - no, years - I spent watching some pretty forgettable Test cricket, and I feel I should get a time refund. Some of the most extraordinary cricket in my lifetime has occurred in the last few weeks, and I've missed most of it. I got to see Brearley, Tavare and Athey bat.

Comment

Exactly. I am bemused by those not just sitting back and enjoying it. Telling commentary moment when someone talked about how once upon a time 250 was a decent one day score. Now England looking to break 500.

Comment

Bakewell! Fascinating, thanks.

Comment

Bakewell also took 10-77 in that game!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                            Exactly. I am bemused by those not just sitting back and enjoying it. Telling commentary moment when someone talked about how once upon a time 250 was a decent one day score. Now England looking to break 500.
                            This is what I've been trying to do rather than going all Boycott "It's not real Test creeckit when nobody's grafting."

Like all new things, it's not totally new. Viv's SR in 1976 was way ahead of it's time; Gilchrist and Sehwag; Clive Lloyd; Kapil Dev; Sobers would have been capable of it. But it's accelerated things a couple of levels and changed the way we think about run chases, at least with this ball on a flat track against a team that hasn't an effective spinner.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-06-2022, 14:54.

Comment

England’s runrate for the whole series was 4.54. That really is astonishing.

Comment

From the pattern of scoring in both innings here I'm guessing they're also using these rubbish Dukes balls.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Ireland making a contest of the T20 match, even if India remain heavy favourites.

Comment

Ireland did very well to take it to the last ball.

Comment

Very impressive

Comment

I was surprised he resurfaced at all. I wonder what else might be about to come out :

Michael Vaughan: Former England captain steps back from work at BBC

Comment

He's off to join the LIV tour?

Comment

No, apparently he is one of the people who has, unsurprisingly, been charged with racism by the ECB.

Comment

in more edifying news, three of the NZ side turned up at my local club this evening and had a short knock with the u13 Girls side ;

https://twitter.com/eastmoleseycc/status/1541871687523762177?s=21&t=9zuPY9JXgHUuDjHZlppcHg

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I was surprised he resurfaced at all. I wonder what else might be about to come out :

Michael Vaughan: Former England captain steps back from work at BBC
                                                  Yes, I was going to raise this when I saw him back for the first test. It seemed very premature, to say the least. He missed the ashes in Australia but I saw him do some punditry for bt sport during the England tour of the west indies around February time. And then, there he was, bold as brass, back on the BBC for the first test at lord's. No mention by him or any of the other commentators about the ongoing enquiry, so much so that I began to doubt myself and thought maybe he'd been totally exonerated and I'd missed it.

Apparently, a letter was sent by BBC employees, complaining of his re-employment. Vaughan has decided to step out of the limelight. I find it pretty incredible that he is still under contract to the BBC.

Comment

I was really surprised Vaughan returned so early. I figured they must be confident he would be exonerated or something. In the end, they were leaving themselves wide open to a letter from employees saying racism policies had been effectively ignored. Because they were right.

He’s crap on the radio anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X