Cricket; National Counties v Professional List A Counties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket; National Counties v Professional List A Counties

This takes place for the first time this season, with each of the major counties playing what used to be called the 'Minor Counties' at around the start of August. (It was actually supposed to have taken place in 2021 but fell victim to Covid regulations even though both sets of counties were allowed to play their own competitions, and in front of spectators)

Essentially, these matches are little more than glorified friendlies and appear to have been arranged as a sop to those National Counties who are upset at no longer being allowed to participate in what started life in the 1960's as the Gillette Cup.

Personally, I don't attend cricket friendlies unless there is a very good reason for doing so. The last time I attended a friendly was MCC v Hertfordshire in June 2014 at Lords, my motive for attending that match being that I am unlikely to be around to attend the 300th anniversary fixture in 2114. However, I have booked a day off work on Tuesday 2nd August in the hope that the weather will be good enough that day for me to attend the Hertfordshire v Middlesex fixture.

The reason for my interest is that the venue is a pleasant surprise. Rather than being Radlett as you would naturally expect, it is taking place at the West Herts Sports Club in Watford. Hertfordshire do not normally play there, perhaps because the wicket is not as good as they would like it to be for competitive matches. It is however, fully enclosed and so Herts will be able to charge admission if they want to. I recall reading about a big charity match taking place there once, so it would probably not be the first time admission has been charged for a cricket match there. As far as I know, this venue is the same as the 'Cassio Road Ground' where Watford FC playing before their move to Vicarage Road in 1914. My great-uncle was Watford's leading scorer for the final season (1913-14) at Cassio Road, so there is also something close to my heart even though I'm not a Watford fan.

Please feel free to post on this thread about any of these matches you are planning to attend in August.

Working...
X