No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some differences in the terminology that I'm used to from Spanish language Broadcasts of MLB, which is interesting

Comment

I'm just hoping against hope to get to Caracas for the Caribbean Series in February.

What's amazing about different places is what sports take hold. Never in a billion years would I have thought beisbol would be huge here....and yet....it's so much bigger than futbol. It's EVERYWHERE. It's a mini Dominican Republic here.

Then Paraguay, the NBA is so huge that they're gearing everyone to playing that if they can't hack it in futbol.

As far as terminology, it's hilarious how the Spanish phoenetics make their way. So "infield" is "infeiu."

Toros win.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 11.01.38 PM Small.jpg Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 10.49.57 PM Small.jpg

Comment

RIP Gaylord Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          RIP Gaylord Perry.
          I think because he pitched so long and was never a hard thrower, I thought of him more as a compiler. I was surprised by the stats I saw on MLB Network today. MLB Now, which I watch closely versus background while I work, did a breakdown and his RA9 WAR placed him high. I thought he was listed top 10 but Baseball Reference lists him 13th all time, which is impressive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...h_career.shtml

Comment

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1599392682371321857?t=K6tpM_WEHXJkOEX5krZjxA&s=19

One for the Gwynn fans.

Comment

I've watched that a few times since I discovered it on YouTube a while ago. Always makes me smile.

He said he wasn't sure he would make it as he was never MVP. I think he got the highest voting percentage in the history of voting up to that point.

Comment

Fred McGriff elected to the Hall. Well deserved imo

Comment

Fred McGriff is now in the HOF.

He deserved to be in just for this classic

BACK TO BACK TO BACK!!!!!!!

Comment

Excellent news about McGriff.

In hot stove news: DeGrom to the Rangers and reports are circulating that Verlander has signed with the Mets. If I was a Mets fan, I'd probably prefer this swap. I don't have faith that DeGrom is going to give much on that 5-year deal. I was hoping the Dodgers would sign JV.

Comment

Well, it was fun while we had him.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1599850626975834112

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I think because he pitched so long and was never a hard thrower, I thought of him more as a compiler. I was surprised by the stats I saw on MLB Network today. MLB Now, which I watch closely versus background while I work, did a breakdown and his RA9 WAR placed him high. I thought he was listed top 10 but Baseball Reference lists him 13th all time, which is impressive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...h_career.shtml
                        Perry had a weird phase of his career where he’d go like 17-14 when putting up the same numbers as Juan Marichal, who would go 24-6 or something wild like that.

He then got traded to the Indians in an awful, awful, awful trade that is still infamous in Bay Area sports lore and proceeded to win the Cy Young with a monstrous season where he threw a something like 340 innings with an ERA under 2. Then proceeded to win another Cy Young with the Padres where he was fine, but finally got some run support so he went 21-6 with a good but not great season.

The legend of him throwing the spitter has also obscured how good he was, into his 40s and handling gigundo workloads. Verlander just got paid for throwing in a season what Perry would throw before an All-Star break.

Comment

Crime Dog has joked that he'll go in wearing the Baseball World hat.

Comment

The Hall has a say about the hat. I would not be surprised if he goes in without a team hat. Personally, I associate him most with Atlanta, but he bounced around enough that a lot of teams can claim him.,

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                              Crime Dog has joked that he'll go in wearing the Baseball World hat.
                              I was going to suggest that.

Comment

He really should do it

McGriff played 636 games with Atlanta, 578 with Toronto and 577 with Tampa Bay, Splitting another 500 or so between the Padres and Cubs,

He is a classic no cap inductee.

Comment

Some of y'all will remember that Boggs agreed with the then Devil Rays that singing with them would lead to him going into the HOF as a Devil Ray. The Hall squashed that and his plaque features a Red Sox hat.

Comment

This is just embarrassing

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1600255427194671104?s=61&t=l-xJlQWscGsKpgCpeh0kDQ

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      He really should do it

McGriff played 636 games with Atlanta, 578 with Toronto and 577 with Tampa Bay, Splitting another 500 or so between the Padres and Cubs,

He is a classic no cap inductee.
                                      I suspect that commercial was on more times during any given baseball season than his total MLB appearances.

Comment

It looks like the "juiced" balls didn't all land in one place. Still, there shouldn't be radical deviation. It seems like Archer's response (toss back the balls that feel too hard) should be adopted by pitchers in general. Ideally the umps would get whats happening.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bwdbwdbwd/status/1600255241978380288?s=61&t=Wx2YSMmvIj-KwVg13-4WeQ

Comment

Reports today that the Padres offered Turner more money than the Phillies. Seems that the stories about Turner wanting to be on the east coast might be true. I assume that meant Tatis to center field.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                              Reports today that the Padres offered Turner more money than the Phillies. Seems that the stories about Turner wanting to be on the east coast might be true. I assume that meant Tatis to center field.
                                              That's only a problem if Calamity Nando is available.

Comment

More big news that also relates to the Padres. Judge re-signs with the Yankees. MLB Network reporting (via whatever sources) that Judge flew to SD to meet with Padres and they offered more money than the Yankees. Damn, Padres are not messing around. I think the Padres dodged a bullet with this one. Makes sense for the Yankees to overpay; they already got some of Judge's MVP-quality years. I don't see Judge staying healthy for the totality of the contract. A lot of the ex-executives and players on MLB Network have been talking about improved health sciences that will change the players' qualities into their thirties. I'm surprised the smart hosts never fire back: How's that working out for Trout, Rendon, Stanton, even Acuna (who is young)?

Comment

Judge is nine years for USD 360 million

Kenley Jansen to Boston - 2 years, USD 32 million

Jose Quintana to the Mets, 2 years, USD 26 million

Yesterday, the Cubs got Bellinger for one year at USD 17.5 million

Comment

Dodgers so far:
                                                    Re-signed Kershaw, which is huge
                                                    Signed Shelby Miller, who will likely be the Danny Duffy of 2023

Crickets

Comment

Working...
                                                    X