No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mets choke stuff that has been floating about is a little unfair. They didn't have the depth last year. This year, they had winning months every month if I remember correctly but after the All-Star game, Atlanta was on an amazing pace. There is no way a team of that depth, that now knows how to win it all, was going to fade. But the Mets did have a relatively poor last two months and they only needed one win against Atlanta to win the head to head.

MLB Now did a "what could be" segment using last year's playoff structure and a what if the MLB Players Association got their way structure. With the latter, Milwaukee and the Orioles would be in. With the former, the Phillies and Rays would be out (at the time of the broadcast) and we'd see Padres at Mets for a one-game playoff for the right to meet the Dodgers while the Cards played in Atlanta. In the AL, Mariners at Blue Jays and the winner would play Houston while the Guardians would be at the Yankees to start.

Bob Costas suggested that he wished the drama of the one game could be held so that the two worst wild card teams play each other in a one game playoff to see who advances. The league winner gets to pick their opponent (kind of like an NCAA selection Sunday), then the second best team picks. The third best division winner gets whoever is left. So, we'd have the three division winners and the best wild card team guaranteed a series. That would mean Padres hosting the Phillies for one game and the Mariners hosting the Rays. I actually like that idea.

Comment

Yes, I'd fancy the Padres against anyone in a one game play off. They can do it in one game.

I'm not confident they will progress in the play offs at all.

Comment

Friday
        • Game 1: Guardians vs. Rays, 12:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 1: Cardinals vs. Phillies, 2:07 p.m. ET (ABC)
        • Game 1: Blue Jays vs. Mariners, 4:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 1: Mets vs. Padres, 8:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Saturday
        • Game 2: Guardians vs. Rays, 12:07 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
        • Game 2: Blue Jays vs. Mariners, 4:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 2: Mets vs. Padres, 7:37 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 2: Cardinals vs. Phillies, 8:37 p.m. ET (ESPN2)

Sunday (all games if necessary)
        • Game 3: Blue Jays vs. Mariners, 2:07 p.m. ET (ABC)
        • Game 3: Guardians vs. Rays, 4:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 3: Mets vs. Padres, 7:37 p.m. ET (ESPN)
        • Game 3: Cardinals vs. Phillies, 8:37 p.m. ET (ESPN2)

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I'd have fancied the Rays to give Cleveland a tough time, but now they're going into this on a 2-8 run and I can't see anything but a rapid exit.

Comment

Baseball Reference's probability predictions are here

They have Rays/Guardians as a coin flip.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...off-odds.shtml

For all the marbles, they have the Dodgers at 29.2%, Astros 23.6%, Braves, 14.2% and Yankees 13.1%, with each of the other clubs given a less than five percent chance.

Comment

The lack of off days in these playoffs makes me happy for a few reasons. Most notably, there is no way for Friedman and Roberts (and the rest of the Dodgers' execs) to rely on the same 3 bullpen arms every single game. It amazes me that every playoff team has a coaching staff and executive team with brilliant baseball minds but when the playoffs begin they forget that overuse means the name on the jersey does not match the stats from the season. The guys are shells of their season selves. Beyond Houston's cheating in 2017, Roberts went to Morrow, Kershaw, and Jansen over and over and over again.

Comment

There are off days from the Division Series on

Comment

MLBTV has announced a regional blackout of play off games because they will all be on BT Sport in the UK. That's fine if, like me, you have BT Sport but I've seen some furious social media posts from UK-based MLBTV subscribers.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    There are off days from the Division Series on
                    But much more limited. The ALDS, for example, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. We know the Astros and Yankees and using them as an example, they are away on Saturday and Sunday but at home on Monday. So, no day off for travel.

NLDS is Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Only one day off. Using the Dodgers as an example, they would be on the road Friday and Saturday but at home on Sunday. If the Padres beat the Mets, this is no big deal. If the Mets win, that's brutal travel.

Then one day off for AL and NL winners and:

NLCS: 10/18, 10/19, day off, 10/21, 10/22, 10/23, 10/24, 10/25
                    ALCS: 10/19, 10/20, day off, 10/22, 10/23, 10/24, 10/25, 10/26

There is no way that Schilling/Johnson or Madbum and Madbum could win this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      MLBTV has announced a regional blackout of play off games because they will all be on BT Sport in the UK. That's fine if, like me, you have BT Sport but I've seen some furious social media posts from UK-based MLBTV subscribers.
                      Probably an obvious question, but I'll ask anyway. I don't do the TV part, but does that also include the radio?

Comment

Greenlander sorry, i don't know

Comment

MLB only lists official overseas radio for Canada, Mexico and Cuba

https://www.mlb.com/postseason/inter...l-broadcasters

so my guess would be that the regular season arrangements for the UK would remain in place.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                            There is no way that Schilling/Johnson or Madbum and Madbum could win this thing.
                            The 2014 World Series (for which Bumgardner was MVP) was played on the following dates in October.

21. 22. 24, 25, 26, 28, 29

There was only one rest/travel day in the NLCS in which the Giants beat St. Louis that year.

Comment

Pitcher's duel in Cleveland. Bottom 6 and it's Rays (1) - Guardians (0) on a Siri home run.

EDIT: And a few seconds after I posted, Ramirez hit a 2-run home run. Guardians up 2-1
                              Last edited by danielmak; 07-10-2022, 17:38.

Comment

And that's how it ends

Maybe you should post about Phillies-Cardinals, which is scoreless in the fifth

Comment

Entering the ninth with a 2-0 lead after having held Philadelphia to on,y two hits through eight, St Louis now trails 4-2 with the Phillies still batting

Comment

The Cardinals truly melted down. I think some of that L is on the manager. He needed to move. The Harper at bat seemed to be a real turning point. Either walk him or pitch to him. Wasting pitches and running up a pitch count made no sense.

A lot of hits in this Padres-Mets game. I missed the top of the first inning so didn't see the Padres first two runs, but saw the third and the traffic on the bases for both teams. I won't predict that this one will be slugfest because the hits will dry up. Haha.

Comment

This is probably premature, but it's not going too badly yet.

Comment

Forgive me not paying attention too much, but the one game one-and-done play-in game is no more?

These are all 3-game series?

Comment

My poor Scmets fan friend, was posting every hour a picture with a title of "6 hours" / "5 hours" / "half hour"

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                            Forgive me not paying attention too much, but the one game one-and-done play-in game is no more?

These are all 3-game series?
                                            Yes and yes (well, best of three)

Comment

Thx

Comment

Question from someone who only really wakes up to baseball when the playoffs start. In the AL, they have a designated hitter in the lineup, who does nothing but bat (so that the pitchers can do nothing but pitch). Why aren't the DHs the guys like this Judge fellow, or the other top hitters, instead of him having to field as well?

Comment

The DH was also added permanently to the NL for this season (after initially being introduced temporarily for the shortened 2020 season). Generally the DH is a player who makes a positive contribution offensively but is bad defensively - often this might be an older player who is less able to run around, or it might be a player coming back from injury.

Comment

Whereas Judge is also a good fielder with definite defensive value.

Being a successful DH also requires a specific mindset and the ability to maintain sharpness and concentration between at bats, something that is often difficult for younger players who have been playing a position for the entire careers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X