Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubs also reportedly signed Jameson Taillon

Comment

Just spent an ungodly amount of money on Cubs tickets for London next year. Only slightly less than a season ticket for Oxford.

Comment

Well, at least I'll still get to see Willson play...

Comment

https://twitter.com/EbbetsVintage/status/1600278917633478656?s=20&t=z6ptDUNWknZSd16R-2nrOQ

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
            Well, at least I'll still get to see Willson play...
            I really don't want to talk about this . . .

Comment

Contreras by name...

Comment

Just spent an ungodly amount of money on Cubs tickets for London next year. Only slightly less than a season ticket for Oxford.
                I know nothing about that game, but I've just enjoyed this one: the reverse fixture, so to speak.

England play at Wrigley Field, 1959. The commentary is ... well, 1959. Helpful explanations of pitcher's mound, hot dogs, and "American ballyhoo".

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

I know nothing about that game, but I've just enjoyed this one: the reverse fixture, so to speak.

England play at Wrigley Field, 1959. The commentary is ... well, 1959. Helpful explanations of pitcher's mound, hot dogs, and "American ballyhoo".

Does anyone still talk like that? That accent seems to only exist in old news and sports footage from that era.

That field doesn't look very good for baseball, let alone soccer.

Comment

28 May 1959.

The Cubs had finished a 13 game homestand on the 24th.

The voices used for neweels.rhrought the developed world from the 30s through the 50s didn't really survive the transition to television.

Comment

I see.
                      My next question was going to be "did anyone ever talk like that in real life or was it only for broadcast?"

Comment

Sorry to say this now, but in previous years tickets have been available the day before the London Series at a lot less than face value. They were oversubscribed by people looking to sell them on but the market wasn't there.

Comment

I like the look of that a lot.

Oh, God, I've just gone on that Ebbett's site and now I have serious clotheslust
                          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 07-12-2022, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            I see.
                            My next question was going to be "did anyone ever talk like that in real life or was it only for broadcast?"
                            I believe that it was only for broadcast and started in radio.

I knew someone who had known Walter Winchell and said that he sounded quite different in real life.

Comment

Yeah, I might be asking for that for Christmas. Do they ship to the UK? Doesn't look like they do, but they have a UK splash page.

Comment

Ebbets aren't shipping outside of the US and Canada at present and it's not certain they'll start doing so again anytime soon.

I was looking at the new hoodies they've got up and someone had already asked the question.

Comment

The lines at the post office in my area are nuts up to Christmas, but if anyone ever wants to order anything that won't ship to the UK, y'all are welcome to have it ship to me and I will ship it to you. Just PM and and I'll send you my address and happy to coordinate to ship to you. Again, lines are crazy now so I'd prefer to wait but January-early November is never a problem (and less likely to get lost--the only times I had DVD trades not arrive to me when I used to trade through the mail was during the holidays).

Comment

Oooh, now I'm definitely tempted with one of those cardigans.

The soccer jackets are the bomb as well.

Comment

Preller had money he wanted to spend and he was going to do it. Bogarts to the Padres for 11 years. He's 30. Not a move I would have made. Correa would have been better but the Turner and Judge deal have upped the anti on years in these deals.

With that said, position by position among position players, the Padres are the best team in the West for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                        Preller had money he wanted to spend burn and he was going to do it. Bogarts to the Padres for 11 years. He's 30. Not a move I would have made. Correa would have been better but the Turner and Judge deal have upped the anti on years in these deals.

With that said, position by position among position players, the Padres are the best team in the West for sure.

Comment

I think MLB Network was set to repeat MLB Tonight after the last run ended at 10 or 11 PM EST. Then the Bogarts deal happened. They pulled together a group of national reporters. They seemed unified that the Dodgers have avoided the big free agents because they plan to go after Ohtani during the next off-season. I'm disappointed that their lineup is currently filled with a lot of question marks, although I assume they will work something out with Justin Turner, but I'll take skipping most of these guys this off-season for a full press on Ohtani.

Comment

So Tatis gpes to the outfield and Agent San Bernardhinault can now return to San Diego after the successful completion of his exfiltration assignment.

Comment

My comments about the Dodgers' inactivity were undone today. The Dodgers sign Jason Heyward to a minor league deal. haha.

Comment

7FEF80BA-D9C0-4239-99B4-A6EE58641200.jpg

Comment

Haha. Is being injured a lot one of the tools? He is a great player and a real leader. He will outlast the manager, who has had one good season (and one good + defensive team) and he can be a guy like Werth, who provides a first building block to build a new super power.

Comment

Mike Clevinger is leaving San Diego after spending most of his time there on the IL and then not being particularly dominant when he returned from surgery.

I wish him well and all, but there's no sense of loss. His ERA is 2022 was tied-129th best. Or, put it another way, 128 other pitchers gave up fewer runs.

Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-12-2022, 00:03.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X