No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Phillies are great fun to watch. A combination of great skill and also the ability to absolutely fluff simple things in the outfield meaning nothing is certain is really entertaining.

Comment

(I......uhhhhhh.......thought game 1 started today.....

....as on Saturday......not Friday....missed it.

....may have to miss them all now, all things considered....)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        They are incredibly entertaining

It is rather amazing that Verlander has never won a World Series game (0-6 in eight starts)
        I'm not going to look this up, nor would I know where to find this, but I would speculate that Verlander's WS woes are tied to workload leading up to the WS. I'm guessing that he goes deep into playoff games (where he has an excellent record and ERA) leading up to the WS so by the time the WS starts he's got a lot of extra mileage on his arm (esp. since he never really had a major injury until this year). Given that theory, he should have been better last night since he was part of a 6-man rotation for some of the year and his workload over the 162 was reduced, but I also think Dusty rode JV a little too long. After the 3-run inning, I would have pulled him.

Kershaw is the other super star with poor playoff numbers. Here, I can rely more on paying attention to details. I think Kershaw's numbers are distorted by over-use within each playoff series and then the WS. I think 2020 was the first year the Dodgers only had him start. He wasn't used out of the pen, like every other year. So, he had a lot of mileage and then they wanted to use him even more. I just don't know if JV has ever been used in that way. I don't think so, but could be wrong.

Comment

There is something too that.

His division series record is 9-1, with him averaging 6+ innings per start
          His championship series record is 7-4, with him averaging 6 2/3 innings per start

He is also often among the leaders in innings pitched during the regular season

Comment

(Sorry....thought JV referred to my otf name, not Justin Verlander.)

(Sorry...watched tonight.)

Comment

Damn.

(Schwarber's miss.)

Comment

Kind of weird it was fair from the front view then foul from the side view.

Comment

So weird. 3 feet away from the 2nd HR in 2 straight at-bats.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                    (Sorry....thought JV referred to my otf name, not Justin Verlander.)

(Sorry...watched tonight.)
                    Haha. You were JV before he was in these threads. Verlander from here on out....

Comment

One of the arguments analysts made for predictions that the Guardians wouldn't go far is the lack of home run power (i.e., it's very hard to string together hits). The Phillies have had a lot of runners on tonight but have not been able to drive those runs home. But we'll see if they can change that 2-5 with 2 outs in the 9th.
                      Last edited by danielmak; 30-10-2022, 06:30.

Comment

Apologies for watching.

I need to ignore this series until I hear the Phils won, much as the Braves last year.

Comment

Starting the Series on a Friday, with a Sunday travel day, is strong testimony to the degree to which MLB has conceded dominance to the NFL (and the degree to which the Sunday night NFL game has supplanted the former Monday night behemoth).

Comment

It looks like the Phillies will re-arrange their rotation. We'll see if this delay helps them or hurts them. Dusty said, he's staying put with his original plan, which make sense.

Comment

Starting the Series on a Friday, with a Sunday travel day, is strong testimony to the degree to which MLB has conceded dominance to the NFL (and the degree to which the Sunday night NFL game has supplanted the former Monday night behemoth).
                              I remember Thursday night trying to find the game on TV, then realizing it was football night so MLB wanted a Friday/Saturday schedule.

Making matters worse, I had to go out during the game on Friday night and found that because our local ESPN AM station is also our Lakers station, the game wasn't on the radio here. Good luck trying to find out anything about a local radio station's schedule online--I might has well have been looking for telegram rates.

Comment

Dunno about the LA Times but one of the best remaining features of the Chronicle is they actually tell you where the feck you can find the sporting event you're into on the TV and radio.

Comment

not online unfortunately

Comment

The World Series is on ESPN Radio, which is 710 AM in LA

Comment

The World Series is on ESPN Radio, which is 710 AM in LA
                                      That I know, the issue is that it seems that Lakers take precedence. It's not something that I'll need for every game, but when I had to drive someplace Friday night, it was just Lakers postgame, with them occasionally giving updates on Game 1. Won't be an issue tonight as there is no Laker game.

Comment

Monopolies suck

Comment

It's crazy to think that the last time the Phillies were in the WS was 2009. That was the last time the Yankees were in (and won the WS). During the time between 2009 (well, 2011) and now the Phillies have been garbage, rebuilt, and are in the WS and no series appearances for the Yankees. Of course, part of that is Houston's dominance and part of that is the Red Sox deciding to be good every couple years, but it's a strange fact to consider. I'd still take the Yankee's successful seasons since 2009, but to state the obvious, winning it all feels way better than not winning it all.

Comment

I hadn't realised that the Yankees have lost five championship series in a row since then.

Rangers, Tigers, and three to the Astros.

The Astros' dominance is really of NYY. The Red Sox are the only other AL club they have beaten to reach the World Series (and they have lost championship series to both Boston and Tampa Bay)

Comment

Phillies undefeated at home this postseason, Asstros undefeated on the road this postseason.

SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE

Comment

Well, that's a first out to remember.

Comment

Well, that's a second out to remember.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X