MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

The Phillies are confounding. Their fielding remains atrocious and their pitching iffy, but it has yet to matter.
    I would be shocked if they win this series for the reasons you state. The hits will continue to come, but I think Fried might be hurt. If the Phillies don't hit like they did in game 1, which I doubt will happen given Atlanta's quality. The pitching will not hold outside Wheeler and Nola. Of course, I say that and Wheeler and Nola have yet to pitch. I would not be surprised if Atlanta wins the next 4. The team is too good. But this is why the playoffs are so fun. A hot team can roll.

Comment

These series are best of five

The next two are best of seven

It isn't easy to keep in one's head

Comment

We can stop this game now.

Comment

Too late.

Meanwhile, the Phillies' defence comes back to bite them.

Comment

I remain astonished by Machado's throwing arm. He seems to have time to fall over, pick up the ball, look at it, wonder if it looks OK, and then gently throw it 40 meters in about 2 seconds.

Comment

Well…shit.

Comment

Well, that was fun. For the first seven innings. And then just nerve-wracking. Fantastic stuff from the defence and bullpen. And means at least we get both the home games.

Comment

Dodgers were pitiful tonight. Horrible defense other than Gratirol and lack of timely hitting.

No surprise, but for me that bunt by the Padres was admirable. The execution was poor and Gratirol's play was one where you know it is unlikely to happen most of the time. The Dodgers just refuse to make the same move. They had second and third and clearly have not been hitting. Bunt the run in to tie and then see if the slug will return. But the Dodgers will never make that move and it is maddening. Re-ignite the offense and put the defense on edge. We have a 3-game series now, but I fear the rest has not worked well with the Dodgers.

Comment

That was a remarkable play by Gratirol, all the more so because bunting has become so rare in the modern game.

Credit to Melvin for using his bullpen outside of their defined roles.

The Friars finally get to go home.

Comment

Mariners blew the one chance to put the Astros on the ropes. I expect that Houston is going to blow through this series and steamroll the Guardians or Yankees. Mariners had chances today as far as I can tell, but Houston is never out of it and those teams are dangerous.

Comment

The amazing thing about Pads-Dodgers was what would you think the score was if you heard Yu gave up 3 homers in the first 3 innnings.

Comment

Dodgers have been enjoying hitting solo blasts and then stranding multiple runners on base.

Comment

It did feel like the Dodgers were swinging hard a lot. Even when they managed to hit into the outfield, it was just a lucky big-swing that popped up and landed safe, rather than a deliberate attempt to just get runners on base.

Comment

I should add that they're so damned good at hitting home runs that it's not normally a problem. That was the other thing. Cronenworth's HR looked like he absolutely set himself and put everything into it and got lucky. The Dodgers' HRs have felt like the batters saw the ball like a pumpkin, knew exactly where in the park it was going to cross into the stands and plonked it out there. When they get it right it looks completely effortless.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                It did feel like the Dodgers were swinging hard a lot. Even when they managed to hit into the outfield, it was just a lucky big-swing that popped up and landed safe, rather than a deliberate attempt to just get runners on base.
                                Did notice the Dodger faithful going ballistic for any harmless popup as the game went on, as if conditioned by the first 3 innings.

Daddy Jankees up 2-0 early, but leadoff walk for the Guardians in the top of the 3rd.

Comment

Nice to hear Bob Costas with Ron Darling on TBS. Awesome together.

Yanks shut the door. Still 2-nil.

Going into Top 4th.

Comment

Guardians claw one back....Cortes with an ASS-tonishing play off his keyster for the 3rd out with bases loaded.

2-1 Janks.

Comment

Guardians.....hit a homer. Claw both back.

2-2.

Comment

I might have posted this above, but my concern about the Dodgers in those first two games is that they were hitting like they did during the first 1/3 of the season. Then Freddie and Mookie finally helped usher in Roberts' message about team offense. From there, the Dodgers were lethal. Yes, a lot of home runs but those home runs came because everyone was hitting hard--aiming to drive the ball and move the line along versus trying to hit home runs. These are the things you see when watching every day. From an outside perspective, people will say that the Dodgers won game 1 and that they were in game 2 until the last at bat. This is why I wanted a bunt in the bottom of the 9th. Manufacture a run as a kind of jump start that re-wires what the Dodgers are doing.

Tonight will be interesting. Snell has been excellent against the Dodgers at times. If he can throw strikes, he should keep the Padres in the mix. The Dogers are going with Gonsolin, who has some of the best numbers of any NL pitcher but was only pitched once for two innings since August. I expect May will follow Gonsolin. Ideally Gonsolin feels strong and can go 3 or 4, but Roberts needs to follow with another starter or two (Heaney being the other option) otherwise this pen is going to be tired with 3 games in a row and no off days.

Comment

Well done Guardians.

We have a series.

Comment

Tough nut to crack.

Looking forward to that crowd in Cleveland. They absolutely love this team.

Comment

Phillies chase Strider early

4-0 in the third

Comment

I turned this on at the start of this inning. 6-0 now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/_Zeets/status/1581039977554509824?s=20&t=qiFKrX6ZEHk-4fshNEWcrA

Comment

Interesting presentation

https://twitter.com/francescaossi/status/1581043576573952000?s=61&t=AePLd9OODzaEmtFpkmRipA

Comment

Working...
                                                    X