No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyed Facing Nolan, Netflix doc of Nolan Ryan. Loads of MLB stars recollect stories of a truly amazing pitcher.

Comment

Will have to check out that doc.

ESPN was supposed to be done with the K-Rod broadcasts but Judge's run to 61 led to another episode. The broadcast has been really intriguing since we have the regular hosts: Michael Kay and A-Rod (hence K-Rod for folks outside the US). Then Roger Clemens was the studio guest for most of the game. And Barry Bonds was on video conference for a few innings. The blend was both very sad and extremely fascinating. Nobody made these talented players do PEDs. But to hear them talk about baseball, their passion for the game and their thoughtfulness about how to succeed at the plate or on the mound was really interesting.

Comment

I have never been, but given that it was built as Miller Park and still features the Miller Lite Lounge, I would be rather surprised if that was the case,

Comment

It will be funny if Judge gets stuck on 60 or 61

These thunderstorms are going to last a couple of hours, but I assume they will do whatever they can to get him another at bat,

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

does the stadium have a microbrewery in it?
            Not that I noticed, and as ursus suggests, the ties to Miller still seem very strong. I didn't partake, and tried to order a coffee, which was clearly advertised on the price board. "Sorry, we don't do coffee" came the reply, to which I spluttered "but it's up there look, three dollars fifty", to which the guy shrugged, in a way that confirmed I wasn't getting coffee.

Comment

The wild card race in the National League remains disturbingly exciting. The Padres nominally lead it: 85 wins to the Phillies 83, and Brewers 82. Yesterday definitely helped with both of those teams losing. On the positive side, every remaining Padres game is at Petco. On the downside, I think the Padres opponents are probably tougher than the other two over the last nine games. I think all three teams will be in with a chance of both going and missing out at the beginning of next week, and even though I still don’t get to watch many matches my blood pressure will be through the roof.

I suppose I should take the positives from this - even if they don’t sneak through, San Diego will definitely finish the season above .500, for the first time in a full season since 2010; and they didn’t fall apart quite as spectacularly as last year in the second half of the season. And there’s still a reasonable chance that they do sneak through, and there’s wild card series would be winnable against either of these teams, although I think I’d make the odds pretty much 50:50 whoever is playing.

Comment

Important to note that two of those three will qualify, and that all of them will be at home for the rest of the season.

Here are the respective run-ins

San Diego (85-68): LA (three games in SD), Chicago White Sox (three games in SD), San Francisco (three games in SD)

Philadelphia (83-69): Chicago Cubs (three games in Phila), Washington (four games in Phila), Houston (three games in Phila)

Milwaukee (82-71): St Louis (two games in Milwaukee), Florida (four games in Milwaukee), Arizona (three games in Milwaukee)

Barring a complete collapse by the Cardinals (who lead Milwaukee by 6.5 games for the division title, none of the opponents have anything to play for.

Milwaukee loses the tiebreaker with both San Diego and Philadelphia. The Phillies hold the tiebreaker over the Padres.

Comment

Dodgers magic number is either 3 or 4 for clinching the best record in baseball. Beyond that, I don't know if they can still surpass the Mariners 116 wins. I'm sure history matters but not as much as trying to deal with an IL list that has cause major problems for the starting rotation and the pen. I would expect that they will start resting some players and will skip some starts to go with bullpen days with some pen men who won't factor in the playoffs while trying to see if Kimbrel will be a factor. I started to write all of that with the idea that the Padres could benefit but not with the Dodgers up first. White Sox have not shown up all year except a few weeks ago so they will be back to under-performing and the Giants are playing for next year. Phillies probably have the best situation since Astros will know by the time they play each other if they can catch the Dodgers and if they need to worry about the Yankees.

Comment

1) You mean tying the Cubs' 116

2) They have 106 wins and nine games left, so the answer is no

Comment

Tony Gwynn got his 1000th hit off Nolan Ryan.

Comment

Bonds said during the K-Rod cast the other night that Gwynn's swing is the swing he wanted. You hit it hard, that's the goal. And if it goes out, it goes out. But trying to hit a home run makes a hitter a poor hitter. Of course, that's obvious news but an interesting comment from someone who was a home run hitter.

Judge just keeps walking. I feel bad for Maris' son, who is following Judge around and keeps waiting. And all of these walks make it harder for Judge to maintain the average for the triple crown.

Comment

Dodgers-Padres was interesting. Padres did some damage early and the Dodgers pitchers ran things while the Dodgers offense stranded constantly. Roberts wants to get Kimbrel right but continues to use Kimbrel in extras and that is never going to work. Kimbrel can't start with anyone on because he can't do 3 up and 3 down.

I've been watching a little of the Nolan Ryan doc each night since baseball games have kept me busy. A couple interesting things. First, he is a hall of famer but I think if he was pitching now when folks are less worried about wins and losses he might be valued even more if that is possible. The fact that owners let him walk because of his w/l record is crazy when his underlying numbers were incredible. Second, he tells a fascinating story about Winfield charging the mound and that situation led him to the conclusion that any future situations like that he'd go straight for the hitter. That's how we end up with the Robin Ventura beat down. haha. Anyway, there's a good rhythm to this. Other than the bad re-enactments. It's very much a baseball doc versus trying to make it something else.
                          Last edited by danielmak; 28-09-2022, 06:07.

Comment

Got up this morning and the Padres were in the 10th inning. They snuck a win a few minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              Bonds said during the K-Rod cast the other night that Gwynn's swing is the swing he wanted. You hit it hard, that's the goal. And if it goes out, it goes out. But trying to hit a home run makes a hitter a poor hitter. Of course, that's obvious news but an interesting comment from someone who was a home run hitter.

There was some mutual admiration between Bonds and Gwynn. Tony said he thought Barry should be in the Hall, regardless.

Comment

Well, that was a very welcome set of results to wake up to. 4 games ahead of the Brewers now, with only 8 games left. The Padres are fully capable of blowing it, of course, but the situation is a bit more reassuring.

And now I may have to acknowledge Daniel's comments on the Dodgers closing. I guess the Dodgers are usually far enough ahead to not care. If a situation like this is common, where Kimbrel managed to walk in the walk-off run with the Padres not getting a hit in the 10th at all, suggests there may be something a bit broken.

Comment

When Ryan came up with the Mets, he really had very little idea where the ball was going after it let his hand.

I think that that coloured a number of teams' approach to him throughout his career, as baseball history is full of flame throwers who flamed out due to a lack of control.

There was also a sense (at least in the Northeast) that he was temperamentally unsuited to the media pressure here, and that the fact that he blossomed in Houston, Anaheim and Arlington was not coincidental.

Comment

Not keep coming back to that Bonds interview, but I will. Michael Kay asked Bonds about singing with the Yankees. I was living in NYC at that time when the Yankees were chasing Bonds and Maddux. Kay asked if Bonds legitimately considered signing and Bonds said he did but the Yankees gave him a short window to decide and the Giants came in with a larger offer right away and he wanted to "go home." Kay then asked in kind and gentle terms if Bonds would have been able to handle NYC and Bonds said he loved playing in NYC. Bonds would have hated NYC. It takes a special kind of star to be able to handle the media there. An "average" player (Luis Sojo, Scott Brosius) can thrive and become a big shot but if those guys remain average, the media won't care. Randy Johnson, Stanton these guys with big contracts, they need to succeed or they get pounded. I got the sense from that Ryan doc that what you say UA is true. He was not a fit for that environment. And ultimately, it wasn't just that the Angels used his losing record to argue for a pay cut but that he really wanted to be home in Texas (esp. after his son was hit by a car and he realized that being far away added to his stress).

San Bernardhinault I don't know what the record would be without Kimbrel's blown saves. Of course, he has also saved games so he has added to the win total. But when he blows a save and then the Dodgers win the game, his credit for the win is pure garbage. If Treinen can get healthy then the closer issue can be solved. Same might be true for Gradirol. Those guys have been out almost all year so moving one of those guys into the closer role would not disrupt the rest of the pen. If one or both is healthy then I assume Kimbrel will be off the playoff roster. Beckford will be the other odd man out since he has not held his form from last season. Then the question will be who else gets bumped no that Kahnle is finally healthy. He is another guy who could close and since he's been out all year, doesn't disrupt the main 6th-9th relievers.

I would reiterate, though, that Kimbrel had an amazing stretch of 6-7 games and he has proven that he can't pitch with men on base. He has to start a clean inning because he can't get through an inning without traffic. If a man starts on second, that man will score every time.

Comment

Kimbrel has six blown saves

Kenley Jansen has seven

The Rays have more than twice as many blown saves as a team than the Dodgers, who are actually in the top third/quarter of MLB (top being fewest)

Comment

Judge with 61

Comment

Into the Jays' bullpen.

So much for all of the nonsense about how much the fan who got it would want for the ball.

Comment

Yeah, just missed by a couple fans but off the wall and to the Jays' bullpen coach.

I looked at the save stats. There isn't a lot of separation among the least blow saves, although Jefe's Os surprisingly the most lock-down (even after a trade deadline move sent their closer away).

Comment

Well, that was very nice of the Cubs. And, without wanting to be too rude, not entirely expected.

Comment

The unexpected is the essence of Cubdom

Comment

Padres won the series against the Brewers so there is actually something akin to the away goals in football. Tie goes to the Padres. I don't know about the Padres and Phillies.

Dodgers and Padres both going with openers although Dodgers will move to Heaney. Padres have Manea as an option. The Dodgers have crushed him this season. I would avoid him if I was Melivn unless the Dodgers are way ahead. Even if Padres are way ahead, I would not use Manea because that would be a quick way to blow a big lead.

Correa has said he's opting out. He used some kind of shopping metaphor that when he wants something he needs to buy it. If the Twins want to keep him they need to pay for his services. Not a good look even if what he said was true. It could be another crowded shortstop free agency so I don't know which team is going to pay the rate he's expecting.

Comment

Milwaukee loses the tiebreaker with both San Diego and Philadelphia. The Phillies hold the tiebreaker over the Padres.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X