MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I predicted (From USA Today):

“It turns out that I inadvertently took a medication to treat ringworm that contained Clostebol,” Tatis said Friday in a statement shared on Twitter by the Major League Baseball Players Association. "I should have used the resources available to me in order to ensure that no banned substances were in what I took. I failed to do so."

Comment

Waking up to this news. I'd do the whole shocked, not shocked thing if it wasn't so hackneyed. Stupid show-pony.

Tatis has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for Clostebol, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, the league announced shortly before the club’s 10-5 win over the Nationals on Friday. The suspension is without pay and effective immediately, meaning Tatis will miss the remainder of this season and the first 33 games of the 2023 season. Any games the Padres play in the 2022 postseason will count toward the suspension, which would reduce the number of games he'll have to sit out next year.
      He will probably break his ankle skydiving in March or something.

Comment

Apart from the lifelong bit this guy speaks for me

https://twitter.com/OleTimeHardball/status/1558294729162235905?t=bAKuCmTbYYaJCFyS-XPyiw&s=19

Comment

I'm really pissed off. Mainly because it's been 3 years of hype and nonsense about him one day being the greatest Padre ever. Even though he dislocated his shoulder swinging and missing and has a personal fielding error rate higher than some teams.

Comment

How does the son of a long-time big leaguer need to sign away a bunch of his future earnings for 350K? How the fuck does dad just not have that in his bank account? The stupid here is multi-generational it seems.

Comment

Per Baseball Reference, his dad earned USD 17.8 million in aggregate salary from MLB clubs

Comment

I thought the rumours about the Padres going in for Soto were ridiculous then they signed him. It looks like really good business now. I regret losing Hosmer but overall they've come out of the trades stronger.

I remember saying somewhere that they should trade Tatis because I doubted he would come back at his previous level. At this point I'd swap him for some bags of bats.

Soto has a world series ring.

Tatis has a woeful case of ringworm.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Per Baseball Reference, his dad earned USD 17.8 million in aggregate salary from MLB clubs
                  Don’t forget the sizeable pension payment. He didn’t make 10 seasons of service time, but he’s probably around 8.5-8.75 and so he’d probably get an annual payment closer to $100K a year than the $34K minimum. Free healthcare too.

Comment

Fucking moron.

There is a nagging part of me that's saying that his rehab has been going worse than expected, despite the couple of games in San Antonio, and the Padres didn't want to be seen as lying about his imminent return. In which case, his ringworm would be very convenient.

It's more likely that he's either/both monumentally stupid and cheating.

I guess we need to hope that Jake Cronenworth's good season continues for the Padres to sneak into the play-offs.

Comment

There is a lot of medically informed speculation that the ringworm thing is a worthless excuse derived from two similarly named drugs, one of which is used for ringworm and the other one is what he was busted for.

There is a strong consensus that steroids would exacerbate ringworm.

Comment

I didn't realize the Jr was short for Juicer.

Comment

It appears that the Padres organisation are properly pissed off with Fernando. There's no "gaming it" going on, by the look of things, just a lot of people who're concerned that all the money they've thrown at the team might be wasted if he doesn't grow up quickly.

Comment

I would be shocked if this doesn't jolt him. Unlike the rest of this season, he's not going to get paid. And once he comes back he's going to get hit with a lot of questions. SD is a soft market in terms of media attention but when he travels, he'll be answering questions each new stop. And opposing fans will be on him. It's one thing to deal with general bs banter from fans, but another to be called out for PEDs. My friend sent me a meme of PEDCO Park. That same type of thing will be screamed at him nightly when they're on the road.

Comment

I don't think anyone believes the ringworm story. He will get dog's abuse wherever he goes. That's if he comes back. As one Padre fan put it - he'll probably tread on his own dick next.

Comment

Ray had a perfect game against Baltimore going into 9th. Leadoff double. Perfect game and no-hitter gone.

Comment

I can't believe it

A Red Sox - Yankees game on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball was just played in a crisp 2 hours 15 minutes

This may be a harbinger of the end times

Comment

Even more bizarre, the sox won. I assumed it would have gone fast because every Red Sox inning was under 9 pitches long.

Comment

I watched the Kay-Rod broadcast on ESPN2. They basically had 30 seconds with Kevin Youkilis and had to bump the reporter, Joel Sherman. They were set for a 4-hour marathon that usually happens. Of course, the beginning of the broadcast showed that producers bring people in based on name without doing a pre-interview. Paul Simon was incomprehensible. Painful to watch.

Comment

But they had The Jeetah

Comment

Of course, he said not much of anything, although it was interesting to hear that he would not want to go back into ownership.

Roger Clemens was quite good. Did a nice demo about how he and his son work with young players.

Comment

One other thing about that broadcast. It was interesting to watch the difference between A-Rod and Jeter. A-Rod spoke openly about his mistakes with PED usage, about feeling pressured to return from injury, and about how this mistake and others meant that he and Jeter couldn't celebrate the 2009 WS together as they might have before they had a falling out. Jeter was stone faced during all of this. The guy just doesn't give anything away publicly, which is fine. It's a media strategy. A-Rod is much more of an open book.

A-Rod then returned to his own PED use, acknowledging that his suspension will likely cost him entry into the HOF. He talked about how Tatis is only 23 and is going to have to live with this for much longer, but like A-Rod, there's no escape and he will have to live with it.

Comment

A Rod is one of those people who isn't as dumb as he seems.
                                              Perhaps not coincidentally, another person who fits that description is Ben Affleck.

Comment

He also appears to be deeply into the examined life, with about a 10+ year delay

As I think damielmak suggested earlier an A-Rod series would be much more interesting than the Jeter nonsense.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1559293881010700289

Comment

Welcome to LIV baseball, kinda.
                                                    The United International Baseball League (UIBL) announced Monday its plan to bring professional baseball to India, Pakistan, and the Middle East, beginning with an inaugural showcase that will take place in Dubai in February 2023.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X