Castore sports clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castore sports clothing

I'm idly watching a recording of the Aus-SA women's cricket from earlier today, and noticed that the South African team are wearing Castore kit. It's not a brand I'm that familiar with, but I have seen the logo more frequently recently. Anyway, having done the requisite 10 second Google search, I find it's a sports clothing company based in Manchester, not Italy, as I thought. And it's getting bigger - Newcastle, Rangers and Wolves footy; Andy Murray tennis; West Indies, South Africa - and from April England - cricket; plenty of Union and League teams; and McClaren F1.

They must be worth squillions, but where did they come from and how are they taking business from the traditional sports-industrial complex? It also reminds me of the time that I worked in Beijing for a while in 1997, and nearly everybody within 500 metres of a particular clothing factory was wearing a Newcastle football shirt - truly bizarre.

The Wiki is instructive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castore_(brand)

Former athletes (a footballer and a cricketer), who went into "finance", made excellent contacts and got their start by outfitting Andy Murray (who is an investor). My short version would be that they are using City money to buy market recognition (and hopefully market share) through sponsorship contracts that aren't as pharonic as one might think (the England Cricket deal is 25 million GBP over ten years).

Comment

I think Murray got the Castore ball rolling (at sporting elite level anyway) by wearing their kit about three years ago. He’s also a shareholder in the company.

Comment

Their Garcia Hoodie was their start point - I very well regarded waterproof hooded top. From that they branched out, got Murray and then started picking off good value sponsorship deals. I boght a Hoodie off them years ago and ended up with two (one size small which remains unworn). It is a nice jacket.

I am not sure Murray is an investor in as much as they gave him equity as part of the sponsorship. Worked out well for both parties.

Comment

Cripes, it's expensive stuff. A$104 for a pair of tracksuit pant style shorts...

Comment

They have sale on some WI items (including caps). The Caribbean Cricket Podcast suggested that they're getting rid of things with Sandles o them as the ODI team is currently unsponsored.

Comment

Working...
            X