Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot wrap.my head around that fact.

Comment

drawing an offside on a field goal for a first and goal and then immediately fumbling it and turning over possession. This is the type of game people can relate to.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        I cannot wrap.my head around that fact.
        The Dodgers have been at Dodger Stadium much longer than they were in Ebbets Field. Soon they’ll have more NL seasons in LA than they had in Brooklyn. If you include their AA seasons, they’ll need to be in LA a bit longer to match that.

In hockey, the post expansion era is more than twice as old as the misnamed “original six” era. The Original Six era lasted about as long as the pre-O6 era of the NHL. 25 years.

Comment

The Ravens are 5 years away from being in Baltimore as long as the Colts.

I want to live in the multiverse with that Baltimore Camden Yards-Memorial Stadium Derby.

Comment

Stupid question here, but the NFC South is a really weak division. Will the winner still make the play-offs, even if their win percentage is far lower than other play-off contenders? Are divisions shaken up if all the teams are really weak, or is the expectation that they'll get stronger in time?

Comment

Yes, they will.

There have been seasons in which a team with a losing record made the playoffs (most recently Washington in 2020)

There will be grumbling, but the owners like the divisions as they are and are very resistant to change.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee will suggest relegation next*

It is the ebb and flow of things - the NFC South had the team that won the whole thing two years ago. The NFC South has been considered the long standing weak one and the NFC East was dreadful a couple of years ago, as Ursus notes above.

The way they like to work around this is by building out the Wildcards to reduce the annoyance about the conferences. Plus that can mean a team gets an easier run at the playoffs with a weak conference winner.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                  steveeeeeeeee will suggest relegation next*

It is the ebb and flow of things - the NFC South had the team that won the whole thing two years ago. The NFC South has been considered the long standing weak one and the NFC East was dreadful a couple of years ago, as Ursus notes above.

The way they like to work around this is by building out the Wildcards to reduce the annoyance about the conferences. Plus that can mean a team gets an easier run at the playoffs with a weak conference winner.
                  It usually all works out, but I don't like that the division winner will always get to host their first-round playoff game against a wild card team even if their record (and obvious overall quality) is inferior.

The purpose of the divisions is primarily to create and/or maintain traditional regional rivalries. But, just as in baseball, the NFL still maintains some, but not all, of the structure it had when it was two completely separate leagues.

Because of that, a few of the obvious rivalries like Jets-Giants, WTF-Ravens, Rams-Chargers, Steelers-Eagles, don't happen very often year, let alone twice a year. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are still in the NFC East because they always have been. And, of course, any set-up where each division has the same number of teams is going to make it impossible to link up every regional rivalry that you might want to see simply because NFL cities are not evenly distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                    Stupid question here, but the NFC South is a really weak division. Will the winner still make the play-offs, even if their win percentage is far lower than other play-off contenders? Are divisions shaken up if all the teams are really weak, or is the expectation that they'll get stronger in time?
                    The Seahawks were the 7-9 NFC West winners, and hosted the 11-5 2nd place NFC South Saints in 2010.
                    That's when an earthquake was registered with seismographs near the stadium.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 8.03.54 PM.png

Aforementioned Riverboat Ron actually was coach of 66.6% of all teams that won their division with a losing record.

I'm okay with the division winner hosting a playoff. As I said with the European expansion, each team each year has an automatic 25% chance of making the playoffs. It keeps all fans engaged for the most part until near the end of the season, and sets up a game like in 2010 with the Seahawks and Rams, where Seattle was 6-9 and the Rams were 7-8 going into the game. With the Seahawks win, they won on tiebreakers.

Like caja said, it goes in cycles. This is by design with the draft. The NFC West barely made an NFC Championship from 2000-2010 (making only 2,) then from 2011-2020 they made 9.

From 2000-2010 the NFC East made 7, then from 2011-2020 they made 2.

From 2000-2010 the NFC South made 6, 2011-2020 they made 5.

From 2000-2010 the NFC North made 6, 2011-2020 they made 5.

So in the end, it all works out. For a few years a bunch of hack journalists call the NFC East the NFC Least, then for a few years it's NFC Beast.

Comment

I'm being easily distracted at work today, so have run the numbers since the 2002 season, which is when the current divisions were established:
                      Division SB Wins SB Apps Champ Games
                      AFC East 5 8 15
                      AFC North 3 5 9
                      AFC South 1 2 7
                      AFC West 2 5 9
                      NFC East 3 4 7
                      NFC North 1 2 10
                      NFC South 3 6 11
                      NFC West 2 8 12
                      So the AFC East is dominant, but if you consider that all the Superbowl appearances and twelve of the championship game appearances are the Patriots, we might consider that most of the disparity has been caused by Darth Belichick.

In terms of Superbowl appearances, the outliers are the AFC South and NFC North with just two apiece. The thing that I didn't expect from running this analysis, is that the two West divisions have accounted for just under half (9/20) of Superbowl losses!

Team wise, there is only one division which has failed to have at least three teams reach the championship game – the NFC East where Dallas and Washington have both fallen short despite their combined 80s/90s dominance. The other teams to have fallen short? Miami, Cleveland, Houston and Detroit. So three each from the conferences.

Seven teams have four or more championship game appearances, and pleasingly they are from seven different divisions. The NFC South is missing from that group, but has three of the six teams that have made three appearances.

In terms of cross-divisional matchups, in the twenty Superbowls analysed, nine of the possible sixteen match-ups have happened. Most often is an all-east matchup and AFC North v NFC West with four. The six not occurring were AE v NN, AN v NE, AN v NS, AS v NE, AS v NW, AW v NE, and AW v NN.

There are fewer gaps in the possible Championship match-ups. In the NFC we are only lacking an East-East and South-South match. In the AFC there has not been an East-East, East-West or North-West match. I think you would get reasonable odds that one of those AFC match-ups will happen this year.

Comment

Death, Taxes and Aaron Rodgers beating the Bears

Comment

Jets gonna Jets

Comment

Sorry Jets fans. Watched the last 20 minutes and so hoped for mike white (still first think Cal coach) to lead em through

Comment

Another heart breaking loss, but I'd rather that than getting destroyed every week like the last couple of years.

Garrett Wilson might be the best Jets wide receiver since Don Maynard.

Comment

He's a stud, but nowhere near the NAME of...

not many former nfl'ers who have discs for bid on discogs - https://www.discogs.com/artist/1535099-Bake-Turner

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                  Another heart breaking loss, but I'd rather that than getting destroyed every week like the last couple of years.

Garrett Wilson might be the best Jets wide receiver since Don Maynard.
                                  Harsh on Al Toon.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Death, Taxes and Aaron Rodgers beating the Bears
                                    I turned down what appeared to be some good tickets for that. Which reflects exactly how much a pain Soldier Field is.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1599559458371182593?t=X0PSLNx4qwPFRU3iZN4V9g&s=19

Comment

Irsay whines for yeara about how the Colta are never on national television, only for the League to make sure that his most embarrassing team ever is on multiple times this season.

Comment

Colts folks are weird. My FiL was asking me if I watched any Colts games. I had to remind him there were these teams from Chicago and Green Bay that kind of dominate the local TV market.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/1599622950143008768?s=61&t=Zqd4KBYOndwHxPmvsI-sUw

Comment

It is that it was a field goal in it heading into the 4th Qtr. How the Colts had managed that was rather confusing, but that collapse was spectacular.

Comment

Two questions...

How do you not score with first down at the one yard line. Is that a Jets thing?

And, regarding the Cowboys score do you not got an extra point attempt if scoring from an interception?

Comment

1) Not scoring a touchdown happens 15 percent of the time. Not just a Jets thing.

http://phdfootball.blogspot.com/2013...20any%20points.

2) You always get a chance for a PAT. Dallas missed one last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                    Two questions...

How do you not score with first down at the one yard line. Is that a Jets thing?

And, regarding the Cowboys score do you not got an extra point attempt if scoring from an interception?
                                                    Not converting from a first and goal happens. Typically involving a holding penalty to get moved back and then something like a sack or whatever. It happens often enough - they had a busted double attempted QB sneak a few weeks ago.

After you are handing a team its ass, it is optional to kick the extra point.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X