No announcement yet.

Formula 1 & Motorsport 2022: Shrive to Survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't slow for the corner and hope your car doesn't disintegrate / set on fire.

Comment

Plus, outside of the traffic he could just floor it--you can see his top speed was almost a full 6mph faster than everyone else's best.

Comment

After the most boring race of the F1 season, Brazil might have been the most exciting weekend--Kevin Magnussen ending up on pole (for the sprint race) because of rain in Q3, Mercedes looking the best they have all year in the sprint with Russell winning, then in the race today Hamilton and Verstappen coming together, Vettel and Alonso racing near the front at points, a Mercedes 1-2, and Verstappen causing massive post-race drama by refusing to let Perez get ahead of him on the last lap to get some space in second of the driver's championship. Perez said it shows who Verstappen really is in a post-race interview, and now Verstappen-friendly journalists putting out the story that Perez intentionally crashed in Monaco qualifying to maintain his position ahead of Verstappen.

Comment

Lewis holding up Perez just enough to lose 2nd = HILARITY. Payback's a perra, Checo.

At least Seb Vet got a point in the end. Kind of fitting he couldn't overtake Dan Ric at the end.

Bullshit season. Hope next year is better.

Comment

Binotto jumps before he was pushed off. Chaotic day for the Agnelli family, with the entire Juventus board resigning as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
              Binotto jumps before he was pushed off. Chaotic day for the Agnelli family, with the entire Juventus board resigning as well.
              The old, rather bigoted joke about Ferrari is "the Italians are running the show" (tell Mauro Forghieri this), but they desperately need some new management.

They need a Schumacher/Brawn/Byrne package, but that doesn't really exist.

Comment

Oh and now I've just found out Forghieri died on the 2nd. RIP Mauro.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

The old, rather bigoted joke about Ferrari is "the Italians are running the show" (tell Mauro Forghieri this), but they desperately need some new management.

They need a Schumacher/Brawn/Byrne package, but that doesn't really exist.
                  Apparently some Italian paper said that Brawn was in line to go back, but that just seems like hopium.

Comment

A Schumacher is also available.

Comment

Brawn has already rubished that, which was exactly as Inca suggests.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ross-b...rrari-rumours/

Comment

I feel that part of the issue is the relationship between the parent company's ownership and the Scuderia. It's too demanding and hands on.

Ferrari is not unique in being a team that is also part of a mega corporation - just look at Mercedes, RBR and Alpine. However in the case of Mercedes and RBR the people in charge are given the autonomy to run the entire team. I think in the case of Wolff and Horner they are even part-owners of the F1 team. The Ferrari principal always seems like someone who is going to be changed at the whim of the ownership. The trio mentioned upthread (and Todt as well) managed to work together in such a was as to be unsackable - though this wasn't always the case in the late 90s before that first breakthrough.

One of the interesting things about the Schumacher era was the way the Scuderia had control of everything. They are a complete manufacturer - engine and chassis - and even had a tyre/tire company basically all to themselves. Mercedes dominance of the first part of the V6 hybrid era came in a similar way (bar the tyres) and knocked RBR off the perch they were on. In response, RBR managed to manoevre through the engine manufacturers and took the golden egg that McLaren had managed to waste by working so closely with Honda that they become an almost-full manufacturer team (technically they now are, but there is a lot of Honda under the hood and Honda people still involved. They never really leave.)

Ferrari and Alpine should be able to do this. But somehow the management just gets in the way, undermining, rather than trying to get the best out of the skilled people they have.
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 01-12-2022, 15:11.

Comment

The technical side such as chassis design seems to be as strong as ever but the mid-season development was weak. The engine was quicker but unreliable. The strategies were bizarre, including the team orders. Leclerc needs to be more assertive because Sainz isn't going to give him a free lunch, ever.

These are all things that I am sure Binotto knew and probably was going to try to fix. Maybe the new guy will manage it straight away. But with the Sword of Maranello hanging over your head the whole time, there is too much incentive for people not to take the risks you need to to take to create the championship winning car and team.

I suppose another example of all this is the way that Ford managed to take the improving Stewart team and destroy it through corporotisation.

Comment

I feel that part of the issue is the relationship between the parent company's ownership and the Scuderia. It's too demanding and hands on.
                            Without getting too much into the weeds, the choice of outlet for the Brawn "leak" is an example of exactly that, as the newspaper in question is under common control.

Comment

Very sad to hear of the passing of Patrick Tambay today. I think he only won two GPs for Ferrari, but they have to be two of the most emotionally charged wins for anyone, ever. Firstly, following Gilles Villeneuve's death he stepped into the No.27 Ferrari and 3 races later he pulled a shattered team together and won in Germany after team mate Didier Pironi had suffered a horrific, career ending accident in practice.

The following season, back at Imola the year after Villeneuve had had his final race there and been cheated of victory by Pironi, Tambay qualified 3rd, as Villeneuve had done, and lined up in his grid position to find a Canadian flag painted on the tarmac. He said later "Right ahead of me on the grid was a Canadian Maple Leaf that the tifosi had painted on the track where Gilles had lined his car up. I felt very emotional thinking about him just before the start. I was sitting in my car on the grid with 20 minutes to go, and I just broke down, you know... I was just sitting there, crying my eyes out. I was completely broken up." He pulled himself together and after a dramatic race, Tambay won and dedicated the victory "To the memory of the car number 27 which didn't win last year", later saying that he drove the race in a dream. "I swear it wasn't me driving the car that day. It felt as if Gilles was there with me, as if he was doing the work." By all accounts a lovely, classy fella who did a lot for his local community in the south of France, he passed aged 73 after suffering from Parkinson's and diabetes.

Comment

Kate Wagner on NASCAR in Chicago

https://twitter.com/raphaelorlove/status/1676284000329932804?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...r-catastrophe/

Comment

Daniel Ricciardo back on the grid with Alpha Tauri--Nyck De Vries has been sent home.

Comment

What time's the start tomorrow, BST? I want to see if Hamilton tries to kill Verstappen, like the last time they were together at Silverstone.
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-07-2023, 17:01.

Comment

The 2023 thread is here, folks:
                                      https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e3#post2794751

And 2pm.

Comment

Working...
                                      X