Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Tennis (new balls please - grand slam threads are waiting to take their seats)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As ever, regarding tennis, I bow to your better judgement, Janik.

Of the modern 3, I suppose I'd go with Djokovic, putting aside intense love for the other 2.For probable longevity and ability on all surfaces.

There's an awful lot to like about him too, if you set aside the covid denial stuff. Which, admittedly, is not easy.

Interested to know where you would place Rosewall in the pantheon though?

Comment

Murray is hard to place in these lists. If we almost all agree that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are 3 of the top 5 players of all time then what Murray achieved is perhaps as impressive as other players with many more Slams.

Almost 50 ATP titles, 3 Grand Slams, two Olympic singles titles, a Davis Cup and a World number 1 against those 3 monsters suggest that Murray may have been a monster in his own right in a different era.

Comment

The thought of Federer and Nadal playing doubles together in his last match is lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
          Murray is hard to place in these lists. If we almost all agree that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are 3 of the top 5 players of all time then what Murray achieved is perhaps as impressive as other players with many more Slams.

Almost 50 ATP titles, 3 Grand Slams, two Olympic singles titles, a Davis Cup and a World number 1 against those 3 monsters suggest that Murray may have been a monster in his own right in a different era.
          This.

Edit: also worth noting (a) the number of Slam final appearances and (b the number of Masters 1000 titles, in both of which respects, while clearly behind the big 3, he is incomparably ahead of all the other competition of the last 20 years, including fellow 3-slammer Wawrinka.
          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 23-09-2022, 07:57.

Comment

There have been lots of photos of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray going to dinner together to mark Federer's retirement. I wonder if the Big 3 are muttering to each other about Murray being there, or whether it shows that they think he's worthy of their company.

Comment

Considering how much he challenged them then I would think they feel he belongs. Federer keeps mentioning him in the same bracket too.

I wonder if Murray feels a bit sheepish about it. For me, he definitely belongs. Yes, his overall numbers are below the other 3 but that era was always about which one of the 4 would win Slams/Masters/Olympics.

​​​​​​As for Federer, that was such a sad ending. Seeing him and Nadal in bits was difficult. Murray looked like he was enjoying seeing Federer crying in London instead of Federer making him cry.

Comment

Tennis isn’t always the best-attended sport, is it? Just taking advantage of my wife’s Amazon Prime account to watch a bit of Dart v Bondar in R2 of the Transylvanian Open in Cluj-Napoca (a “250” level event), and there must be all of 15 or 20 people in the audience (excluding officials). I’m guessing that’s not because folk in ad hoc’s neck of the woods are particularly averse to the sport.

Comment

Nadal out of the ATP Finals. That means that Alcaraz will be year-end number 1 despite being unable to play this event due to injury. According to the BBC, he will become the youngest year-end number 1 since the ranking system started. (Well, they said "ever", but I'm translating for you all.)

Comment

Nadal has just finished his 18th consecutive year in the year end top 10. (In those years, he's never left the top 10 even for a week - a total of 901 consecutive weeks there). Absolutely incredible. I sort of think this will be the last time, but then again I've written him off before.
                    Last edited by Jimski; 23-11-2022, 15:51.

Comment

That's impressive. But also noteworthy that he never managed to win the year-end Finals - it seems extremely unlikely that he ever will now.

Comment

Working...
                      X