No announcement yet.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betty Stove at Wimbledon in 1977 lost the final of all three events.

Borg never won the US Open; lost two finals to Connors and two to McEnroe then lost his motivation and retired.

However, in terms of sadnesss, the bridesmaids who never had success elsewhere are a different category to a Lendl or Borg, whose failure in one event was offset by winning tons elsewhere and being recognized as No. 1 overall. Jimmy White's pain is surely far greater than Lendl's, for example, because the Crucible title is the one that is viewed as the true measure of achievement, and there's an (unfair but unavoidable) implication that he choked, whereas Lendl was just outgunned on a surface that favoured bigger servers and volleyers, the exception to the surfaces that were used the rest of the year (and different to today's Wimbledon surface, which he'd probably have won on).
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-01-2022, 10:27.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not crying for Lendl or Borg. They swept down the aisle often enough elsewhere to make a only being the support act at one venue to be no more than a bit irritating.
      Similarly I'm not particularly bothered that Rafael Nadal has never won the season ending Tour Finals (neither, I suspect, really is he), even if he does have a good point that these should be more representative of the surfaces used across the season that they are meant to represent rather than always on a quick indoor hard court. Nadal's best is runner-up, twice. That is from 10 tournaments (though he has actually qualified for it 16 times...) - he is the only player with 8+ appearances in the event never to have won it.

Comment

Franziska van Almsick won ten olympic medals in the pool, 4 of them silver, and 6 of them bronze.
        Merlene Ottey won 9 on the track, 3 silver and 6 bronze.

Comment

Ottey was a World Champion, though.

I didn't know until just now that later in her career she represented Slovenia.

Comment

Calvin Smith never won an Olympic or World individual 100m but won the World 200m twice in Carl Lewis's absence.

Comment

Working...
            X