No announcement yet.

Bang a ‘gong: Pro Cycling 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was no way to avoid going down there, as far as I can tell. The first bike threw the second and third ones all across the road and then there was no swerving round the chaos.

Comment

If that is the case, they needed a different end city

Comment

I meant that once the first bike had gone, there was no way for the people behind to save themselves. I hate seeing incidents like that which happen at high speed and where the participants have zero control of their fate.

Comment

That's why the fault is with the course designers and the commisaires and not with the riders

I read "down there" as being "traversing that route notwithstanding the incredibly dangerous and largely unmarked speed bump".

Comment

I can see that my writing wasn't clear in the context, now. "There appears to be no way that a large number of the riders can avoid crashing to the ground in that situation".

Absolutely the fault of the course designers.

Comment

Speechless

Comment

Friebe presents a robust defence of his five wine glass rating for this year's Tour in this fine episode
                https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/1555616335714975744?t=VylKYQVHFB9DiVPcZQMuVw&s=19

Comment

I’ve just discovered the Vuelta prologue is a team TT. Excellent.

Comment

And the next day its passing within 250m of Mountstuart Towers in Amersfoort. Of course this is the weekend I'll be in England for my Mum's 90th...

Comment

This should sort out the men from the boys. They're going up the Amersfoortse Berg! Our town's second longest hill.

https://climbfinder.com/CDN/amersfoortse-berg.png

Earler in the stage they tackle the mighty Amerongse Berg as well.

Last edited by Logan Mountstuart; 08-08-2022, 10:09.

Comment

60m? Now we’re talking.

Comment

My kind of hill! It would hurt, but I could make it over that one.

Comment

Ha, that's quite similar to College Road up to Crystal Palace. Which is my benchmark climb in South London

fountain-drive-college-road.png

Comment

If you have an hour to spare, I thoroughly commend the latest episode of the Freewheeling podcast “Recovering from the Tour de France Femmes”. Five ex-pro cyclists and one journalist reflecting their highlights of, and reactions to the race. It’s clear how big a deal it was for them all and what an emotional impact it had on the ex-pros. A great listen.

This interview is referenced: https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/video/v...lvin/79aar1bfj

Comment

The 16th Tour of Szeklerland finishes in ad hoc's city of residence today

Comment

Uttrup Ludwig wins the Tour of Scandinavia, her biggest pro win so far

Vos takes four of the six stages, including today's finale

Comment

That was a great race.

Comment

It's mentioned on the EurOlympics thread, but Viviani winning gold in the Elimination Race on the track five hours after finishing in the top ten in the 200+km road race is an extraordinary achievement.

The Vuelta starts in Utrecht on Friday. Roglič has confirmed that he will be going for the triple.

Comment

Quadruple?

Comment

Ha!

I have lost count

Comment

It's hard to pick any of the Vuelta contenders you'd bet the house on. All have some sort of question mark.

Hindley for a 2022 double up, then!

Comment

Roglic is the favourite given his hat trick of wins but we simply don't know where his form is as we haven't seen him since the Tour. There's a lot of time trialling in this race so if he's anything like on it he should win, but his injuries were apparently quite severe so we'll have to wait and see. Hindley hasn't raced much since the Giro and won't like the TTs. Carapaz has slightly flattered to deceive in recent years and INEOS haven't sent a hugely strong team, presume they're not that arsed whether he wins or not given that he's off. Simon Yates has won this before and is in good form though he usually finds an imaginative way for something to go wrong. Almeida is leading UAE and I will continue to cling to my misheld belief that he can win Grand Tours. Landa will finish somewhere in the top ten.

Nairo Quintana has been disqualified from the Tour de France after tramadol was twice found in blood tests. Cycling is the only sport where tramadol is a banned substance (on grounds of safety from usage rather than direct performance enhancement) so doubtless there will be some breathless and wrong headlines about doping now. There's now going to be some awkward explaining to do from him and / or the team as to how it got there, you can't just go buying tramadol over the counter in France, so somebody took a decision for it to be administered. He's only lost his results from the Tour and isn't suspended or facing a longer ban, he's down to start the Vuelta though we'll see if this is still the case on Friday.

Comment

Entertaining TTT to open the Vuelta, which went pretty much as expected but nice to see Robert Gesink in red.

Edit: didn’t go entirely as expected actually with Thibault Pinot’s FDJ 5th.
                                                Last edited by Sits; 20-08-2022, 04:52.

Comment

In my old age I've become a big fan of TTT. Having it on the first stage of the only way to be completely fair isn't it?

Comment

They are so beautiful to watch, aren't they? I'd like to see one per year, maybe rotating through the Grand Tours. I'd forgotten how much I like them, yesterday was great.

I'd be happy with either the first or second stage, it's pretty rare for teams to lose riders on the first stage.

Had no idea Rohan Dennis was at TJV now, he really knows how to land on his feet doesn't he.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X