Bang a ‘gong: Pro Cycling 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bang a ‘gong: Pro Cycling 2022

Hope this isn’t too early but I’m starting to mull over plans for the Worlds which are only a couple of hours south from here in Wollongong - known colloquially as The ‘gong. I WhatsApped my son just testing the water and turns out he and our future D-I-L have already decided they’re definitely going. So looks promising.

Meanwhile Pog semi-announces his plans for further world domination:

Early rumours are that the Worlds course is expected to be rather flat, which will open up chances for a different set of contenders than recent editions.

Comment

https://twitter.com/richardmoore73/status/1471469953631064069?s=20

Comment

I've never really got on with Procycling - dunno why, possibly the weird shape doesn't help - but sorry to see it go, there's now no monthly magazine featuring interviews and reports available in the UK for the first time in a very long time. Hope this is more to do with the state of print than interest in the sport generally.

We're into that phase of the winter where teams are on training camps, race programmes are being announced and we're getting some kits released, even if there's teams like Ag2r who manage to make a kit launch out of a virtually unchanged jersey. The new Movistar kit is quite striking.

FIGS might like the new Euskaltel.

Last edited by longeared; 16-12-2021, 18:07. Reason: Movistar pic not absolutely enormous

Comment

I might like it (and thanks for sharing) but not too sure of the blocks of other colour on the orange (presume Grupo Mafesa's logo).
          Still, always better to have an Euskaltel maillot in the peloton than not

Comment

It is Hafesa, but the colours are not theirs, but rather an attempt to "freshen" the jersey

Etxeondo ha producido una nueva equipación moderna ya que añade el color blanco, azul y dos tonos de verde. "Se ha buscado darle un punto de frescura y modernidad sin comprometer la esencia de la identidad del proyecto", ha confirmado Patxo Rodrigo, gerente de Etxeondo.
            https://www.fundacioneuskadi.eus/es/...l-naranja-2022

Comment

No me jodas, Patxo

Black, orange and white needs no refreshing/frescura

Comment

Etxe Ondo, like 'Euskatel', is frequently misspelt on eBay as 'Exte' so potential bargain hunters of their expensive quality cycle wear are advised to search both spellings

Comment

Eolo-Kometa are now being sponsored by Burger King. They're the Italian team run by Basso and Contador who won last year's Giro stage on the Zoncolan. The photo call looks as if every effort was put into it.

Comment

I’m trying to work out which Hollywood actor/director Contador looks like in that photo.

Comment

That's a nice looking bike. I wonder who actually makes them.

I was pleased to discover that Orbea is owned by a workers co-op.

Comment

Under Aurum, Contador and Basso aim to use their racing experience to help develop high-performing bikes. And while the obvious thought is that they’re just faces to assist in selling generic bikes to their countless adoring fans, it’s thankfully not that. With the guidance of an experienced carbon bike designer, a Taiwan-based frame manufacturer, and a few others, the two retired pro cyclists have indeed been hands-on in requesting what they want from a bike and testing multiple prototype iterations in the process. These frames are unique to Aurum and it’s obvious there’s been some substantial investment in the new company.

That company will initially start as an online consumer-direct offering, one which will see the bikes assembled in Madrid and shipped to customers with the bare minimum assembly required (like what Canyon does). With time Aurum hopes to complement that distribution model with a network of trusted retailers to stock and sell their products. Velodrome, a high-end store in Barcelona, is the first bricks-and-mortar retailer for Aurum.

Aurum will offer a lifetime warranty on its products. This is rare for a brand new bike company, and there are many more established performance brands not offering this.

For now the brand appears to be focussed on the premium performance market, but Contador didn’t rule out that more affordable options could exist in the future. Meanwhile, Basso added that they’re already working on new models, suggesting that a gravel bike is likely the next thing we’ll see from them.
                        https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/auru...-bike-company/

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          I’m trying to work out which Hollywood actor/director Contador looks like in that photo.
                          Neither is Contador, surely..?

Comment

Yes, I'm not sure who the guy with Basso is, but it isn't Contador.

Comment

Well that explains it then.

Comment

So both Cycling News and Cycling Tips are now requiring some form of subscription to continue viewing content. Now that’s absolutely fine, but which would you recommend? Or another entirely perhaps. I’m happy to pay for content but may as well get the best available.

Comment

I was always a fan of these two for decent analysis:
                                  https://www.podiumcafe.com/
                                  https://inrng.com/

Comment

Sartorial chaos in the women's peloton for next season

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/1473668816508964879?s=20

Comment

Outstanding. Vollering looks unimpressed.*

Kevin S thanks a lot, I wasn’t aware of either.

*Sits hopes he’s actually identified the correct rider after Contador the cockup.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Yes, I'm not sure who the guy with Basso is, but it isn't Contador.

It is Alessandro Lazzaroni. Burger King Country Manager for Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          I was always a fan of these two for decent analysis:
                                          https://www.podiumcafe.com/
                                          https://inrng.com/
                                          Some great reads in the second of those already.

Comment

Bastille Day on the Tour de France is the ascent of Alpe d'Huez. That has to be peak (no pun intended) TdF.

Comment

Pretty sure they've done that before, though I can't remember (be arsed to look up) precisely when.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Some great reads in the second of those already.
                                                Ooh, good. Yeah, Inner Ring is superb. The day by day previews of the Grand Tours are the best available (random example here) in terms of telling you what you need to know and what to look out for. Podium Cafe is more of a fan site I suppose, and a bit more sporadic.

Comment

Inner Ring's Christmas Quiz

I don't stand a chance but I'm sure some of you will be able to get these.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X