Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well deserved by Vingegaard, slumbering giant Jumbo Visma awaken at last

Comment

Pog will emerge from this a vastly more popular rider, a paradox of sport. I mean that’s a paradox, not he’s a paradox.

What a race this is.

Comment

Watching the highlights. You can't say that Pogačar didn't try his best to get a gap.

It's been a really good tour.

Comment

Although, has it been too hilly? Could there have been a couple more flat and faster stages? It doesn't feel like there been much there for the pure sprinter

Comment

Tomorrow should be a sprint, or at least it would be were it on any other day than the final Friday. As it is it's the last chance for any team that hasn't achieved much to win a stage so we'll see who wants to try and throw riders up the road - Bora, Movistar, Bahrain, Astana, DSM, Total Energies, B&B Hotels.

Comment

What odds an unshackled WvA to take all three from here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                Although, has it been too hilly? Could there have been a couple more flat and faster stages? It doesn't feel like there been much there for the pure sprinter
                While being interviewed on the road after the stage yesterday Geraint Thomas said something like "it's relentless. You know there have only been two bunch sprint finishes in this Tour? And they were in Denmark not even in France"

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                  Given that this has been the most exciting Tour since I started watching I hope the trend continues tbh. But the return of numerous sprint stages would likely happen if a big French sprinter emerges.

Comment

Comment

This year's route was deliberately designed not to provide many bunch sprints, at the start there were only two nailed on days - Sonderborg and Paris. There were half a dozen other possibilities, of which only Nyborg did the business as the wind didn't blow on the Great Belt Bridge. Calais had WvA escape over the top of the late climb. Longwy was too hilly for the pure sprinters. St Etienne turned out to be a breakaway day. Carcassone saw a reduced group sprint. Cahors hasn't happened yet.

Comment

edit - to Sits

Even assuming he's guilty, they didn't do him much good did they. I don't think I've ever encountered such an overtly sarcastic sporting nickname as 'Superman' for Lopez, and I'm very surprised that broadcasters use it.

Comment

It definitely was not sarcastic in Colombia, from whence it came

Comment

This may be my favorite tour of all time, but I have to be biased because I've been able to watch it (almost) completely every day with no distractions. (I've gotten to see nearly the last 50k on every race at least.)

WvA breaking Pogacar yesterday was incredible. (And WvA has been just incredible the whole tour.) And that came 'after' the multiple attacks and the downhill with the almost crash and the actual crash. Crazy.

Comment

Birnie and Thomazeau's reflections on the race, the state of the sport, and the incredible performance of WVA on the Stage 18 recap echoes and expands upon a number of the points made here this week.

Recommended

https://embeds.audioboom.com/publish...0France%202022

Comment

And that's not a sprint either, Jumbo set up Laporte, he jumps on the remnants of the break, and there's finally a stage win for France.

Comment

No way!

That was a lot of fun though

Comment

So, Jumbo Visma have all three principal jerseys, five (and counting) stage wins, three different stage winners, and

are third in the "team classification"

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      I hate to say it but Cycling Tips are edging Cycling Podcast for me in the Tour dailies.

Cycling Tips are a likeable group, and try to keep them at or under 1 hour; there’s a bit of mucking around but they do actually discuss the race. Every few days they catch up with Pippa York whose insights are of the highest standard.

Cycling Podcast are having to rotate the cast, with poor Richard Moore no longer with us, Daniel Frebe always works for Channel 4 on the Tour and Lionel Burnie had to go home for his Dad’s funeral then got COVID. François Thomazeau is the constant and it’s still very good, but the chemistry is absent through sad circumstance.
                                      Thanks for these tips, Sits. I've tried them both on a few stages each and decided that I can't really get on with the Cycling Tips one. Too much fluff at the beginning of the show, not enough actual race analysis, and just a bit banter-y. The other one I like a lot. Feels a bit more tailored for my age to be honest. Sorry that I didn't listen to it earlier

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Thanks for these tips, Sits. I've tried them both on a few stages each and decided that I can't really get on with the Cycling Tips one. Too much fluff at the beginning of the show, not enough actual race analysis, and just a bit banter-y. The other one I like a lot. Feels a bit more tailored for my age to be honest. Sorry that I didn't listen to it earlier
                                        That’s good. Friebe will replace François for the Vuelta and beyond, I assume.

Comment

Van Aert destroying the time trial

24 seconds up on Ganna at the intermediate time check

Comment

While recognising this is not the most pressing issue facing the sport, I am particularly pleased to see Vlasov isn't sporting those hideous snoods we saw in Copenhagen. WvA is bossing the stage at the moment, obvs.

Away from the Dordogne, Alaphilippe has won the opening stage of the Tour de Wallonie on the Mur de Huy (which seems a bit hefty for the opening day of a week long race)

Comment

Vingegaard has a massive twitch on the final descent and nearly crashes into the cliff. Ease off Jonas, you've won the race, the stage win doesn't matter.

Comment

And yet he still takes another eight seconds from Pog

Six wins for Jumbo, who are now in Guimard territory

Comment

I wonder how high WvA would have finished if he’d been riding for the GC with his own team.

Comment

Do Groupama FDJ ever actually work for Gaudu? With Madouas and Pinot also in the GC top 20, everybody enjoys a Pinot break but might it not be more pragmatic if they focused a bit more on one leader?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X