It's Grey Cup Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Grey Cup Day!

First one in two years. Hamilton host Winnipeg and it's not even snowing. My sentiments are with Tiger Cats, but logic says the Bombers.

I just tuned in for three minutes and was reminded why I don't watch CFL...or any other football for that matter.

Comment

What! Two turnovers in successive plays. You won't get that quality of entertaining incompetence in the NFL let me tell you.

Comment

Only two minutes left in the first quarter and the Tiger Cats have yet to complete a first down. Still they're only down 4-0, it could be a lot worse. And probably will be soon

Comment

Has not been a classic to entice neutrals

Comment

That's an understatement. And now the Cats QB has a serious looking neck injury. Maybe should have called another mulligan on this season.

Comment

But wait. Hamilton's back-up has thrown a couple of complete passes and they've kicked a field goal!

Comment

And now a pass into the end zone. Hamilton leads 10-7 at the half. Not a classic by any means but a bit more interesting.

Comment

I'm cooking dinner so only have half an eye on things. It appears to be 10-10 ...Hang on, No! Hamilton with a TD. 17-10 to the yellow and black.

Comment

As I posted on the other thread,!I didn’t realize how much trouble the CFL was in.

So I just hope it works out. The CFL game is far more entertaining for neutrals and a lot more worthy of existence than the XFL or new USFL.

Comment

Just finished dinner to find Hamilton on the 'Peg five yard line and behind by three. They blow the chance to win and will have to kick an FG so we go to OT. Grey Cup matches always end in nail=biters

Comment

Sidebar: The field officials are all wearing masks.* I haven't seen that in any other sport.

*Evidently no one in crowd is.

Comment

Winnipeg get a TD on the first OT possession. Complete a 2pt convert.

Tough for Hamilton now.

Comment

Winnipeg win the Cup on a turnover. KInd of appropriate somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              As I posted on the other thread,!I didn’t realize how much trouble the CFL was in.

So I just hope it works out. The CFL game is far more entertaining for neutrals and a lot more worthy of existence than the XFL or new USFL.
                              They've managed to survive so far because they've a lucrative TV contract. Their support is aging and doesn't go to games, but does watch on TV. Locally kids aren't interested. It's expensive to play and, with education cuts, schools aren't able to field teams.

Comment

A lot more Canadians in NCAA football, it seems. But most of them play at least a year in a US high school.

High school sports reflect local priorities.

Football is expensive and yet, in the US, that’s rarely, if ever, a barrier to entry. Even the poorest public school districts find a way.

Nobody ever says “that’s a rich kid’s sport” but I suspect the cost of outfitting and staffing a typical school football team is about the same as for lacrosse and certainly more than soccer and yet those are still disproportionately white and/or preppy.

On the other hand, hockey is even more expensive, because of the ice, and yet most Canadian and Minnesota towns of any size have a rink. It’s just something that people prioritize there.

I know that participation isn’t what it once was in those places, but I suspect that has more to do with wider cultural factors pulling kids out of youth sports (and adults out of senior leagues.) Global warming hurts too.

Cost is always an issue, of course, but I’m not aware of any evidence that ice time has gotten significantly more expensive over the past 40
                                years.

Comment

Ery much not what the CFL needs

https://twitter.com/cbcsports/status/1525852903092649990?s=21&t=OFupI4L6MUopUdZi02AL-g

Comment

Yeah. they'll botch together something most likely. But geez! Even I look in better shape than those guys.

Comment

After the first two games of the season the BC Lions have scored a 103 points and conceded 18. Victoria native Nathan Rourke threw for 436 yards in the 44–3 victory over TO yesterday, a new record for a Canadian QB.

It's early, and both the Argos and Edmonton look as if they're in for miserable seasons. But this start is totally unexpected and has made us locals sit up and take notice for the first time in years.

Comment

Gramsci's boys from Winnipeg go to 8-0 with a comeback win in Calgary

The Western teams are so much better than those from the East that it isn't funny. The Argos aren't any good, but are leading the division.

Comment

Yup. The Lions had a great comeback win against the Roughies in Regina yesterday. First time they've won there since 2007. At the moment the only Western team not firing is Edmonton. Winnipeg are seriously good though, it's hard to see how they'll be stopped at the moment.

Comment

One for Amor

https://twitter.com/cfl_news/status/1560688924879491074?s=21&t=dM_NJj39faKABnSTSEmjAQ

Comment

Ha! It's a tad early to say yet. But I haven't seen a Canadian QB that's better than him out of the gate. If he stays healthy and has another season like this next year he's NFL bound for sure.
                                              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-08-2022, 02:30.

Comment

Amor's boys looking good for the Western Final, leading Calgary by 11 with 7:30 to go.

The winner plays Winnipeg for A place in the Grey Cup.

Comment

Blue Bombers - Lions
                                                  Argonauts - Alouettes

Winners go to Regina (they want to, really)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X