<subs: insert title here> : County Cricket 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranji Final set

Twenty-three years after their Ranji Trophy dream went up in smoke, Madhya Pradesh will fight for the title at the same venue of their heartbreak - the M Chinnaswamy Stadium. Standing in their way will be Mumbai, the 41-time champions, who will be in their first final since 2016-17.

That MP find themselves in the final is thanks in no small part to left-arm spinner Kumar Kartikeya. After picking six second-innings wickets against Punjab to bowl MP into the semi-final last week, he picked up five second-innings wickets against Bengal to take them into the final. The victory margin of 174 runs reflected MP's superior batting.

Comment

Today was going to be my son's introduction to live professional cricket at the T20 match in Worcester. Unhappily, the match was abandoned without a ball being bowled.

Comment

Great win for Derbyshire yesterday in Chesterfield. That's the rain affected double over Yorkshire in the blast this season and gives us a chance of making the top 4. That's the good side.

On the bad side, as someone pointed out on twitter yesterday, unless we reach the Blast or the 50 over final then yesterday was the last Saturday of the season where we'll be playing any cricket. And we have a grand total of 4 days of home cricket throughout the whole of August. What ridiculous scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post

Absolutely bloody typical performance. A very average squad with a coach who's been given a number of chances but still is flailing around. If the ECB golden vision of the future comes into being, no prizes for guessing which County will be first for the cull. Apart from the occasional spark, the past 10 years have been grim.
          Leicestershire's season in the CC has reminded me very much of Derbyshires last season, where the only bright spark was Critchley. Small totals in most first innings (apart from that Notts game) and then always struggling to try to save the match. I hope you can turn it around soon. Always enjoy a trip to Grace Road. And the cakes are the best.

Comment

The scheduling is bizarre.

I don't see how anyone has a sense of where the various competitors are or what is likely to be on.

One of the (several) positive aspects of the streams is the chance to play from grounds like Chesterfield and Radlett, which look to be fine places to watch cricket.

Comment

Surrey giving Hampshire fits at the Age as,.as their T20 dominance continues

Comment

A championship sized crowd at the oval. No surprises really. Selfishly, I quite like it with fewer drink people about and how much difference can it make to the atmosphere?

Reiffer is playing, I've only ever seen him as a sub fielder.

Comment

That ended fantastically. All down to the final ball. The crowd were properly involved towards the end as well.

Comment

It seemed to fill up quite a bit by the end

Meanwhile, in the Caribbean

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1539596111245107202?s=21&t=lxJGHXNDgUbP_6kVmSYSnw

Comment

That has to be a gag, right?

Comment

You just don't understand current Windies cricket culture

Comment

While that is undoubtedly true, I'm sure "mystery free hit voted via the app" was developed by somebody throwing darts at bits of paper in the floors to see what random construction they could come up with.

Comment

I'm not sure which thread I posted on when I moaned about Surrey ruining two overseas players already this season, but a third has just bitten the dust: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61889005

Comment

Catching up on the replay of the first day of the Ranji Final, and while Mumbai look likely to again reach 500 or more, the most striking aspect is a Chinnaswamy Stadium that is almost completely empty.

Comment

Well, Leicestershire might be struggling in the Championship, but they have India on the ropes. They've just gone from 50-1 to 83-5, while Kohli surveys the wreckage from the non-strikers end. If there was a Welsh national side, Roman Walker would be making a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Catching up on the replay of the first day of the Ranji Final, and while Mumbai look likely to again reach 500 or more, the most striking aspect is a Chinnaswamy Stadium that is almost completely empty.
                                  Mumbai made 374 in the end. Madhya Pradesh (the neutrals favourites) are 122/1 at the moment, and you'd have to say they have the edge in terms of obtaining a first innings lead. But they'd still need to avoid defeat, and they won't want to be batting for long in a fourth innings.

Comment

MP (the state of which Bhopal is the largest city) has never won the trophy (though its partial predecessor Holkar won four under royal patronage in the 40s and early 50s).

Mumbai have 41 titles and have only lost five finals, though their last title came in 2016.

Comment

Another nice out ground in Blackpool for Lancs - Durham in the Blast

Comment

Meanwhile, back in Yorkshire -

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/...shire_ecb.html

https://twitter.com/jonsmalldon/status/1539876440254160899

Comment

And again

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/york...sm-row-3095295

Comment

ursus arctos it was still pretty empty, the lowest attendance this season that I've seen. But people really got involved in the last stretch, it was a proper good atmosphere.

Surrey are finally defeated thank god. And by Sussex, who I have a soft spot for.

Comment

Cracking game at Derby tonight. I thought it was done and dusted when Lancashire got over 100 off the first 10 (Derbyshire had 70 at the halfway stage) but the bowlers pulled it back really well. Wasn't confident of the last over after Scrimshaw has gone for 48 off his first three (!) but to be fair he bowled superbly in the last over. Fantastic atmosphere too. David is bloody massive!

Comment

Lovely, an all run four to open the scoring for Surrey against Kent at the Oval.

Top of the pavilion directly behind the bowler is an amazing view.

Comment

The Ranji Trophy final has a winner. Quite the result there

Comment

Originally posted by Levin With A New Name View Post
                                                    Top of the pavilion directly behind the bowler is an amazing view.
                                                    It is, but it can get chilly up there, even on a day like this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X