No announcement yet.

A World Cup Year! Rugby League 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Sky could at least get our part of Yorkshire right...

Comment

Tee hee!

Comment

By the way, I've no idea of how the game's going/gone, it's just the idea of Cas and Wakefield being in the east...

Comment

Well, I did my ironing whilst watching the game and plan on having three boiled eggs, soldiers and a cup of tea to celebrate. Trin win and Toulouse lost in the other game. Brilliant evening. Away victory 6-32.

Comment

First win against Cas in the last 18 games according to the Beeb The Mighty Trin. Enjoy your cuppa.

Comment

So why the sudden - until yesterday - imbalance in results? From what I can make out the two clubs have mostly been pretty consistent over the years, though Wakefield's heyday was in the 60s. The population of Wakefield is roughly twice that of Castleford. Obviously there are other factors involved, but have Cas made better recruitment and investment decisions in recent years?

Comment

Oh, and The Mighty Trin, how do you feel about Featherstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Oh, and The Mighty Trin, how do you feel about Featherstone?
                  Well, Leeds are like the older brother who has more money than sense, Cas are the younger brother who draws moustaches on your Panini stickers and Fev are the younger nephew that you sadly rarely see these days but who is hard as nails and will give you a bloody nose whenever possible.

Fev have done a great job redeveloping Post Office Road (once briefly known as the Chris Moyles Stadium) whilst Trin and Cas have not with Belle Vue and Wheldon Road. I'd have them in Super League in a heartbeat, but of course there is barely space for one of the three, let alone all three, in the Super League concept.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                    of course there is barely space for one of the three, let alone all three, in the Super League concept.
                    There's a similar geographical area, plus towns of 100.000 or less, in the St Helens/Wigan/Warrington area. Widnes as well. So why not?

Comment

There's a similar geographical area, plus towns of 100.000 or less, in the St Helens/Wigan/Warrington area. Widnes as well. So why not?
                      Simply because if there are 12 or 14 teams in an expansionist closed-shop SL with 2 French teams and say London, Ottawa or NY there are too many smaller M62 heartland teams after the big clubs of Wigan, Saints, Wire, Leeds, Hull and a future resurgent Bradford have been added. On top of that, Trin and Cas have spectacularly failed to upgrade their facilities over 20 years since promotion to SL, for a number of reasons.

But then in 2024 there will be two 10 team divisions anyway, so God only knows. We are unlikely to be in the top division.

Comment

I know this is a minefield for arguing about what constitutes a local population, but I'd bet on the combined populations of St Helens, Wigan and Warrington being comfortably higher than the combined populations of Wakefield, Castleford and Featherstone. And as Trin alludes to, the latter three have also got Leeds next door hoovering up local talent.

Meanwhile up here, Workington Town have launched a fundraising appeal to help keep the club staggering on long enough to move to its promised new ground, or at least stagger on long enough until that falls through again, while on the field they are getting increasingly tanked every week.

Comment

It was at a RU game but at what is traditionally a League ground:

https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1555832181758590976?t=HM8XtQzcTjcLETVBd7t4EQ&s=19

Embarrassing for the NSW Premier, who pulled the plug on a commitment to upgrade the stadium the day before. He's also a member at Wests Tigers (Leichhardt being one of their home grounds).

Comment

One of the great, historic Aussie league grounds at that. Hopefully it can be made safe again.

Comment

Important win this weekend The Mighty Trin

Comment

Important win this weekend The Mighty Trin
                                Yes indeedy, and somewhat unexpected. I was nervously updating the Twitter feed. A dreadful season, but we're almost safe. My Dad would have been there, but my parents are cat sitting for us in seemingly scorching London whilst we're on holiday.

Comment

I'd missed, until yesterday, that rugby league - in England and internationally - has gone down the anti-trans bigot route alongside union. Very sad.

Comment

In other news, it's an 8 game ban for Corey 'finger up the bum' Norman of Toulouse...

Toulouse Olympique's Corey Norman is banned for eight Super League matches after he "intentionally placed a hand between the buttocks of an opposing player".

Comment

Salford were untouchable for the first 20 minutes of this game against Huddersfield, the rest of this half has been pretty scrappy, though.

Comment

Stellar day of League watching today, caught the end of Melbourne v Canberra, watched all of Cronulla throwing it away to NQ, caught the second half of Huddersfield v Salford, now watching Ukraine v Wales in the Euro Under 19s Plate final live from Italy on YouTube, with England v France in the main competition final to follow.

Comment

England came back from 8-0 down to win the tournament for the first time.

Poignant stuff as assistant coach Gary McMahon died during the tournament and there was doubt over whether England would continue in it. The minute's silence before kick off was announced as being for "Gary McMahon and HM Queen Elizabeth II", in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                            Salford were untouchable for the first 20 minutes of this game against Huddersfield, the rest of this half has been pretty scrappy, though.
                                            Great display by Salford, that. They’ll be no pushover for Saints next weeks

Comment

I wasn’t expecting Leeds to win at Wigan - Rohan Smith has done quite a job there.

Saints v Salford in the second semi-final live on Channel 4 tomorrow.

Comment

Salford certainly gave it their all against Saints, but just fell short. A lot of debate on the wires about whether a penalty try should have been awarded, but I don't think the Salford player would have touched it down. Fine margins...

Comment

Salford would have won that with Croft playing and Ackers still on the field.

Comment

Meanwhile York and Barrow both win away in the Championship playoffs at Halifax and Batley respectively, quite big surprises as both the home teams had been in good form. With Leigh and Fev now awaiting I think that will be the end of the line for both the Knights and Raiders.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X