X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBA Playoffs Round 3 - Conference Finals
    May 17, 2022

EAST
    Heat 118:107 Boston ---- MIAHAT 1:0 BOSCEL ___ https://youtu.be/s_dN5sF_n1Q?t=5
    Last edited by jason voorhees; 18-05-2022, 10:22.

Comment

Draft Lottery Results:

1)
      ORLANDO MAGIC

2) OKC THUNDER

3) HOUSTON ROCKETS

4) SACRAMENTO KINGS

5) DETROIT PISTONS

6) INDIANA PACERS

7) PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

8) NEW ORLEANS PELICANS (from LOS ANGELES LAKERS)

9)
      SAN ANTONIO SPURS

10) WASHINGTON WIZARDS

11) NEW YORK KNICKS

12) OKC THUNDER (from LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS)

13) CHARLOTTE HORNETS

14) CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

Comment

That was a lot of work

I still can't imagine the Spurs as a lottery team

Comment

28-25 Celtics end of 1st.

Jimmie Butler with maybe the most hilarious charge I've ever seen. It looked like they sped the film up from how fast he took out Derrick White, and White went flying like Don Corleone's mother after she got the lupara after helping Vito escape Don Ciccio.

Comment

Is it common for players have pre-NBA careers in Israel/Ukraine/Germany/Puerto Rico like PJ Tucker?

Comment

Not really, but not that uncommon. Especially for role players. And of course coaches.

Often the baddest ass of the baddest asses on a team (see Anthony Mason of the Testosterone 5 Knicks teams of the early 90s of whom said player's biceps were larger than his head) follow a convoluted route to the NBA, as they are not flashy or have the worst shooting motion since Rick Barry's underhand free throws, and have the toughness to follow their dreams through various leagues playing in high school gyms throughout the world. The G-league on the NBA has been used to address this, as David Stern started the then-D League in 2005 to try to get these players in the US where they are a bus or plane ride away. 45% of all players now have G-League experience, and over 100 players played in NBA games from the league this year.

See PJ Tucker with the Bucks last year, and how important he was to last year's champions and how he was tonight. Sure, only 5 points. But 1 3-ball to open up space, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, and a +12 point swing when he was on the floor. One unbreakable get-shit-done dude. Defense and dirty work.

THE, not one of the, but THE most inspiring article I've ever read about being persistent and never giving up over decades was about Nick Nurse before the Raptors played the Dubs for the '19 championship.
              ​​​​​​https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...rs-coach-path/

Comment

Before the advent of the D-League/G-League (effectively a minor league with franchises owned by each of the NBA clubs), there were as many USians with college basketball experience playing overseas as there were in the NBA (though the large majority of the "exiles" would never have serious NBA careers).

The numbers are still very significant, with US basketball players being the equivalent of Brazilians in football.

Comment

Here were some players who played for Olimpia Kings during my time here (the basketball team of Olimpia, 3 time Libertadores champion of Paraguay ) .

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Dawson
                  https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Baxley
                  https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Bowman
                  ​​​​​​https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hicks
                  ​​​​​​https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Green

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post

... as they are not flashy or have the worst shooting motion since Rick Barry's underhand free throws,
                    No way that is going undefended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmAB_iAO_iM

A Rick Barry free throw was the PERFECT shooting motion! Cool to see Silk Wilkes w/ his corkscrew delivery.

For a fairly recent interview w/ the master, here he is w/ former Lobo, former Laker, defensive legend, Michael Cooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yBVVxGy1E

Hadn't thought of Anthony Mason in awhile - he was a beast.
                    Last edited by Cal Alamein; 18-05-2022, 12:01.

Comment

Barry's underhand free throws were a perfect complement to the Warriors' jersey with the number on a climbing cable car and the whole vibe of the Cow Palace.

Comment

Another element of the USians playing abroad phenomenon are NBA stars who were born and/or grew up in "unexpected" places due to their father's career.

The most famous example is of course Kobe Bryant, who spent much of his childhood in Italy while his father was playing for Rieti, Reggio Calabria, Pistoia and Reggiana, but Ben Simmons' family initially moved to Australia so his father could play for the Melbourne Tigers and Tony Parker was born in Bruges and grew up in France because his American father was playing there.

Comment

That third quarter last night was something else. Miami thoroughly outscored Boston, but the Celtics still seemed like they were blocking shots or stealing the ball on almost every other possession. But they just couldn't make shots, and Miami's defense was even more stifling.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                            That third quarter last night was something else. Miami thoroughly outscored Boston, but the Celtics still seemed like they were blocking shots or stealing the ball on almost every other possession. But they just couldn't make shots, and Miami's defense was even more stifling.
                            Given my limited basketball knowledge, I'm reliant on the commentary team and they were highlighting the aggression and passion of PJ Tucker. I got the opinion he intimidated and scared the sh*t out of Tatum in the 3rd quarter, plus Jimmie Butler stepped up big time.

Comment

Another stupid question, I'm guessing these regional finals are a 7 game series. Is the national final 7 games too, or 9?

Play-off basketball in the evening has really been an unexpected joy, given the fact I really couldn't care less about it in the normal season. In my defence, I'm becoming more familiar with players, teams and their strengths and weaknesses, so imagine I'll be more aware of what's going on in the next normal season and might find it more interesting.

Comment

Best of Seven

We haven't had nine game series in North American sports since the very early 20th Century

Comment

Ah, see I'm coming from a world of darts and snooker where the frames and sets increase as the tournament progresses. 7 games sounds about right.

Comment

It is also worth noting that a significant portion of the NBA playoff audience pays little if any attention to the regular season (an even greater number if you exclude games on Christmas Day).

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                      Ah, see I'm coming from a world of darts and snooker where the frames and sets increase as the tournament progresses. 7 games sounds about right.
                                      The baseball "World Series" was nine games in 1903, and then for three years (1919-21) in the wake of the "Spanish Flu" outbreak and the Black Sox match fixing scandal, but has been best of seven in all other instances.

That also has long been the standard in the NHL and NBA, with some experiments with first rounds being best of five (and now the "play in" model among teams finishing in place 8-10).

Comment

US sports have historically done something similar at times, but the last few decades have seen the earlier rounds increase in length to match the finals.

The NBA has always used best of 7 for the finals, and after a variety of formats to get there, by the late 60s settled on an eight team knockout consisting of three rounds of best of 7. Additional playoff teams were added in the mid 70s, giving some teams first round byes, with those teams playing in the first round playing best of 3. In 1984 the current sixteen team bracket was introduced, with first round ties being best of 5 until 2003 when the current format was adopted.

The NHL has had best of 7 for the finals since 1939, with this format being used for all playoff ties between 1943 and 1974. In 1975 a format similar to that introduced by the NBA around the same time was adopted - top sides getting first round byes, whilst those involved at this stage playing best of 3. The NHL increased the number of playoff entrants to sixteen in 1980, with no more byes and first round matches now being best of 5. The first round was increased to best of 7 in 1987.

In baseball there was only one round of playoffs, the World Series, until 1969. It has always used the best of 7 format, except for four occasions, the last being 1921, when best of 9 was used. When divisions were introduced in 1969, the League Championship Series used best of 5 until 1985, when best of 7 was introduced. Best of 5 has been used in the divisional series since its introduction in 1995 (would have been 1994 if not for the strike). The wildcard round has been a single game since being introduced in 2012, but will become a best of 3 this autumn.

Comment

I don't have any logical reason for it, but I prefer the best of 5 for the first round of the NBA playoffs.

Comment

Not much on last night's game, which was a bit of a wash-out. Another night for the tough veterans, with Draymond Green outstanding in the first half defensively, offensively and bullying Luka throughout. The Mavs were beat up by half-time and then it became a Stephen Curry show, with Jordan Poole also in on the action. Klay Thompson was also quiet in the first half, but got more into the game.

Game 2 in Dallas will be interesting, if not the key game, a repeat of the performance last night would mean this series could be over quickly.

Comment

Game 2 in Dallas will be interesting, if not the key game, a repeat of the performance last night would mean this series could be over quickly.
                                              Game 2 will be in SF. NBA series go in this order for the home team, say 1 is the higher seed, 2 is the lower-seeded team. 1-1-2-2-1-2-1

Comment

I'm such a noob! Ok, game 3 is make or break, can't see game 2 being much different to game 1 in SF.

Comment

May 18, 2022

WEST
                                                  Warriors 112:87 Dallas ------ GOLWAR 1:0 DALMAV _____ https://youtu.be/oZI2SQ0a8bc

Comment

May 19, 2022

EAST
                                                    Heat 102:127 Boston ---- MIAHAT 1:1 BOSCEL ___ https://youtu.be/3FNRPrESFCE
                                                    Last edited by jason voorhees; 20-05-2022, 11:08.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X