The Tour de France 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tour de France 2008

It is almost upon us and I cannot wait. It is the event of the Summer.

Yellow - Valverde
    Green - Hushovd
    Polka - Soler

The Tour de France 2008

I know we generally have a ban on haters on these threads. But, even though my heart absolutely yearns for the Tour De France, after so many drug scandals last year, my head tells me...... this event is waaaay too discredited to bother with.

It really pains me to say that, too, with the possible exception of The Ashes, I've never watching enjoyed a sporting event as much as the Tour.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

I am an optimist and I like to think that last year was the turning point. I know there have been many turning points and things aren't perfect. I'm sure there will be further bad things happening but I love it.

Even though last year was terrible in many obvious ways it was still utterly gripping and compelling.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Fausto Ptang wrote:
        I am an optimist and I like to think that last year was the turning point. I know there have been many turning points and things aren't perfect. I'm sure there will be further bad things happening but I love it.

Even though last year was terrible in many obvious ways it was still utterly gripping and compelling.
        I tried explaining this in the office today - no joy I'm afraid - looks like I'll have to battle for the remote come July 5th in our office!

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

What about coverage on ITV4?

Is it live at the weekend and nightly highlights again?

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

I've got money on McEwen for green despite Lotto's claim that they'll be concentrating on Cadel in GC - 5/1 seem like decent odds, especially if Cadel doesn't live up to early expectations.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?referrer=RHS&ID=1737

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=1738

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=1515

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Eurosport has a Fantasy Tour De France game.

It's free, and you can set up a mini-league.

There's another fantasy TDF game on a site called Velogames.

With this one, you can't set up a mini-league. But if you pay £1.50 for the premium content and win any of the competitions, you get the choice of a replica shirt or a cycling magazine subscription.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

McEwan not getting any team support shouldn't make any difference to be honest. He doesn't really have a lot of support (last year's stage to Canterbury being a rare example of the contrary). He does his own thing and doesn't ride like an Italian sprinter or like Boonen. He doesn't use a train really.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Jaune - it's a climber's course all over. Cunego.
                    Vert - Boonen
                    Pois - David De La Fuente
                    Blanc - I can never remember who's eligible. Thomas Lovkvist if he is, otherwise Remy Di Gregorio.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Oh, and it's been a great couple of days on the cleaner sport front. Floyd Landis has lost his final appeal, while Michael Rasmussen's got a two-year ban. Get in!

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

BB - Boonen is banned.

A few people think Cunego will win but I can't see him not having a bad day over the three weeks.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Wait, what? I haven't been following stuff for a bit - what'd they get him for?

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Oh, that? I just assumed it was going to blow over.

Mental. Well, then, Bennati.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Nope he's not riding either.

Just realised that Ricco is riding. I'm going to go for him to win instead of Valverde, even though he's going to be knackered.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Yellow = Valverde

Green = Hushovd

Polka = Soler (unless he goes for the G.C., in which case De La Fuente.)

White = Gesink (He will win the G.C. within 5 years)

I wouldn't entirely rule out Cadel Evans. If it wasn't for his his knee-nack, he might have won it this year. Curnego is bound to have one bad day, and when he has a bad one, it's generally v.bad.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Hushovd for green. McEwen and Friere are playing second fiddle to GC contenders, and I doubt that Baden Cooke is going to be willing to act as lead out for Hunter. There aren't many flat stages though, so there's always the possibility that a GC rider could go for green if the yellow jersey slips out of reach.

Evans looks to be going for an Indurain style time trial led win, but I don't think he'll gain enough time to succeed, given his lack of aggression on the open stages. Valverde to win, with an honourable mention for Sastre.

Kreuziger to win the white jersey - he's the man in form.

Unsure about the mountains. Soler will be up there, but to avoid having the same choice as everyone else I 'll go with Piepoli.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Whaaaaaat, no Benna neither? I need to start paying attention. Fucking seriously?

In that case, nail Cunego on for the win for me. There'll be eight other superb riders there with no other thought in their heads but to put him over the line first, and I'd fancy him on his own anyway. This is a different Little Prince/Rabbit we're dealing with...

Cuh, McEwen then. He's never needed his team before. And while Gesink is a superb call, I've nailed my colours to the relevant mast already.

re EVANS: This isn't a triallist's course. Never going to happen. I think Sastre has a great shot atsecond though (you all know) I'd desperately love to see him win...

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Have you guys seen this? Google Maps have got interactive photos of the entire route

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

There's nowt at all in the North-East, is there.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Just champagne.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Google have made some great things, but that interactive Tour de France photo thing reaches Microsoft levels of cumbersomeness.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

Just learnt that there will be no time bonuses in this year's Tour. Is that all of them (the bonuses for stage winners and runners-up, as well as the in-stage sprint time bonuses)? What was the reasoning behind the change?

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

A clear sign of the rise of British cycling and the decline of the post-Armstrong/Landis US entrants is that this year on letour.fr if you want the site in English you click on a Union Jack rather than a Stars and Stripes.

Comment

The Tour de France 2008

is there a live stream anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X