No announcement yet.

Whistling in the dark - Ryder Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The record margin in the current format (starting in 1979) is 18½–9½, which Europe has achieved twice (in succession, 2004-06) and USA once (1981). Europe needs 4½ today to avoid unwanted history as relatively the worst performance of that period.

In the pre-Europe era, 1967 was the last time the USA more than doubled the GB (or GB & Ireland) total (23½–8½, which equates to 20½–7½).

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      I'm not sure Europe are particularly underperforming. Rory is. But the US team is packed full of top-ten players and recent major winners. Europe's major winners - apart from Rahm - are old (Garcia), out of form (McIlroy), or fairly flash-in-the-pan surprise major winners (Lowry) - not a bunch of consistent players at the top of their games. That's not the fault of the team captain. It's just that the US currently has a very good team and for once they aren't fucking up by forgetting how to play matchplay. This scoreline probably comes close to reflecting the disparity in current ability between the teams
      That's normally the case for any Ryder Cup though, generally Europe as a team outperform the disparity between the individual rankings of their players and the Americans. They clearly haven't done that this year though.

The trend for home victories and understandable tendency for the host team to choose (and set up) a course that most benefits their style of play and hinders the opponent set me thinking about if you could ever stage a one-off Ryder Cup in a neutral venue which minimised such an advantage. It would never happen because the spectators and ticket sales are such a major part of the event but it would be an interesting experiment.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-09-2021, 11:43.

Comment

Rory first out is either a ballsy call or tactical :

Comment

This is fucking punishing. Good to see Rory get a point and display his emotion and his passion for the event (again). Also nice to see him speak of the importance of the Solheim Cup alongside the Ryder Cup.

Comment

When I was in the States in 1995, the Ryder Cup was all over the news until, suddenly, it wasn't when Europe won. I mocked the locals (in my head) at the time. Funnily enough I seem to have no interest in this year's competition...

Comment

That is always how it goes here, especially when it is held in the US

Comment

Worst defeat since 1967, when they were just GB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...atches#Matches

However, it's still only the USA's 6th win since 1983, of which 5 were in the US, compared to 11 losses, one tie. USA has one win in Europe in 40 years (W1 L7 T1).
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-09-2021, 23:21.

Comment

Went past Lindrick golf club this afternoon, which is where GB won in the year of my birth.

Comment

I think I have reached my peak Midwest american bro move.

A guy was out drinking with my friend in Chicago last night. He had got an uber to Chicago to meet them after the Notre Dame game (at Soldier Field) from Wisconsin because he had won $10k in some parlay with his mates.

He had no hotel and had to work out how to get back this morning.

Comment

I'm guessing that this was real Wisconsin, like Madison, and not Pikeville or Kenosha

Comment

My vote for peak Midwestern bro-dom was when Goose Island got a couple of hundred muppets to line up outside the brewery in the snow to "prove" that they could make a 37 yard field goal after the latest hapless Bear kicker had ended their season by missing one.

Every single bro missed.

The only thing that would have made it better was if they had brought in a 100 lb female soccer player from Lake Forest to nail it with ease.
                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-09-2021, 01:08.

Comment

Oh, he had a weekend ticket to the Ryder Cup so it was Haven. Not sure what his accomodations were supposed to be.

Comment

Fighting Irish folk and sporting confluence of events creates top bro-time.

Comment

Working...
                            X