Whistling in the dark - Ryder Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whistling in the dark - Ryder Cup 2021

The U! S! A! team has been announced, and going against conventional Ryder Cup wisdom it contains no fewer than six rookies among the twelve.

Of course, those 'rookies' include the Open Champion, the Olympic Champion and the guy who's just won $15m for winning the Tour Championship, but, you know, the Ryder Cup does funny things to players.

Among the other non-rookie US players are major champions in Spieth, Johnson, Thomas, DeChambeau and Koepka, the last two of whom allegedly hate each other. A surprise omission is Patrick Reed, who allegedly everyone hates.

Europe's team's not announced until next week but I thought I'd start the thread on the back of the US team picks for now...

I'm not sure picking rookies is a bad idea. When I've watched in the past, "experienced" players seem to have had complete meltdowns about how to play matchplay- they've seen their Euro opponent hit the ball into a water hazard and promptly decided to go for super high-risk shots rather than just play it safe and win the hole. Perhaps rookies will not be so messed up in the head.

Comment

I love the word 'rookie', it sounds really insulting.

Comment

It was definitely intended to put people in their place initially, with rookies frequently subject to hazing and/or having to do menial tasks for their senior teammates.

Comment

Harrington surprises no-one by picking Garcia and Poulter. They have both had flashes of form this year (although not enough to make the team) but you can't help but feel this is more about who he thinks will handle the pressure. Last European pick is Shane Lowry, the 2019 Open champion, another who you'd expect not to show too many nerves (although he will be a Ryder Cup rookie). Europe's other new boys will be Bernd Weisberger and Viktor Hovland, so this year's European side will have no French, Germans, Italians or Swedes but will have an Austrian and a Norwegian.

Comment

I was surprised at Poulter over Rose (even though the latter has really struggled for form) as I recalled Poulter failing to deliver in Paris but on checking they got the same 2 points. It shows how partial actually being there can be for the recollection given how chaotic it gets, though there is more than enough to make up for that!

Comment

If the Americans hadn't blown that lead at Medinah, the last 6 Ryder Cups would have been shared 3-3. However, that one day in 2012 has left Europe still feeling superior in recent history.

​​​

Comment

First match out just after 1pm BST will be Spieth and Thomas against Rahm and Garcia. Huge game psychlogically for the rest of the contest, America's strongest pairing from 2018 against Europe's best player and one of our usual Ryder Cup talismen. I don't want to see Rahm leaving Sergio too many 5-10 foot putts, nothing will get conceded in this one.

Comment

To have every single player having played a match on the first day must be a first, no?

I'm just hoping Europe can not go further behind by close of play.

Comment

Rahm appears to be the only European consistently matching the standards of the USA players today, unsurprisingly so given the world rankings.

Comment

Terrible day all round for Europe. They're really not reading the greens, which is purely down to lack of preparation. They really need to somehow get back at least level today or the Cup's as good as gone.

Comment

Don't Europe usually win the singles?

Comment

Quite the opposite, Europe usually build up a lead in foursomes and fourballs, then hang on for the couple of points they need in the singles

Comment

Appalling start today too, could effectively be all over after this session.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Terrible day all round for Europe. They're really not reading the greens, which is purely down to lack of preparation. They really need to somehow get back at least level today or the Cup's as good as gone.
                              Any insight in to this lack of preparation? Something to do with covid scheduling or just poor planning?

Comment

They were all there on Wednesday morning (in fact I think they arrived Tuesday), so have had two full days to practice on the course. Some of the putting anvd chipping just suggests to me they barely took advantage of that, or certainly not as much as was needed.

Comment

Interesting, I watched (or at least had on in the background) more of the practise days than I normally would and was struck by how relaxed and lighthearted the Europeans seemed.

Comment

The USA aren't underperforming to their potential as much as they often do at Ryder Cups.

Arguably, and unusually, Europe are.

Comment

What a tanking this is so far. 11-5 going into the singles. I presume Harrington will put his big hitters up front to try and get some momentum rolling. The only problem with that is he only has 1 big hitter in Jon Rahm. The American could match him up againt the magnificent Morikawa or a few others so he is no guarantee. Hatton and Lowry have shown some fire so i suppose you could put them up the list but the rest look like lambs to the slaughter.

Comment

I do think Harrington has made some errors in his picks. Easy to say now but the moment he paired Westwood and Fitzpatrick together he was just throwing points away. Then he chucked them back out again. He followed that up by putting McIlroy and Poulter into battle again having been destroyed on day 1. It would be amazing to see a final day comeback but i foresee a record defeat (since it became a 28 point contest), possibly 20 points to 8.

Comment

Rory hasn't even made a birdie in three matches.

Comment

I'm not sure Europe are particularly underperforming. Rory is. But the US team is packed full of top-ten players and recent major winners. Europe's major winners - apart from Rahm - are old (Garcia), out of form (McIlroy), or fairly flash-in-the-pan surprise major winners (Lowry) - not a bunch of consistent players at the top of their games. That's not the fault of the team captain. It's just that the US currently has a very good team and for once they aren't fucking up by forgetting how to play matchplay. This scoreline probably comes close to reflecting the disparity in current ability between the teams

Comment

It's a powerhouse American outfit and even if Europe played well, it would have been difficult. However, those ranking are based on stroke play and individuality.

For me, Mcilroy isn't the only one off form. Casey, Hovland and Westwood are really good players, who are decent each way bets at majors, but they haven't performed well in the crucial moments.

Comment

This could easily be all over before the last match has even got to the turn. Still, miracles do happen ...

Comment

It would be miraculous if Europe even make it close. It would be wonderful television if the first 6 matches go through the turn and they are all blue. However, I think Dustin Johnson in match 6 will be sinking the winning putt.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X