No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh, love this French Sevens change kit.

Comment

The excitable colour man on the Sevens has suddenly been replaced by a female voice for the Women's final but there is a weird automated quality to it. It's as if it's the same guy tapping brief comments in to his phone and pressing 'Speak'.

12-5 to NZ and almost half time.

Comment

Actually, it sounds like Gina McKee.

19-12 early in the second half.

Comment

New Zealand win 26-12.

So many fantastic stories in this Women's Sevens ; an All Blacks side finally getting Olympic Gold, France's phenomenal success after only qualifying weeks ago through a repechage and Fiji's wonderful progress.

Really going to miss the sport for the rest of the Games.

Comment

Did NZ sub off the player who fumbled the ball, leading to France's second try? Brutal.

Comment

What a twat:

https://twitter.com/ITFMedia/status/1421405111469805570

Comment

Yes, normally I'd assume that a player was telling the truth, but Djokovic's track record in feigning injury whenever he loses (or seems about to) tends to lead me to the opposite conclusion

Comment

I think that he threw the racquet into the stands with his right arm

Comment

He's fucked his team-mate's chance of a bronze? Nicely done, Novak.

Comment

Afte a surprise lost in the quarters of the individual competition left him only with bronze, Teddy Riner, the greatest heavyweight judoka of all time, comes back with a key win as France beat the hosts for the Team Gold Medal

Comment

Pleased for Fiji's women but that's another 4th place at the games for Team GB. What is that now, about eight such finishes?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          He's fucked his team-mate's chance of a bronze? Nicely done, Novak.
                          Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                            Pleased for Fiji's women but that's another 4th place at the games for Team GB. What is that now, about eight such finishes?
                            To be fair to them, they appear to have had their funding devastated during the pandemic (at both GB and individual country level) and were doing well to even make the Games by some accounts.

They are also stymied in general by the fact they are four separate Sevens nations jammed together every four years or so.

Comment

I'm sure I'm late to asking this question - but how loaded is the baseball tournament? I assume that the US team doesn't have any of the big name MLB players, given that they're playing in the MLB right now. Have the Japanese and Korean leagues gone on break for this so the top players from those leagues are available, or are all the teams short of the big stars?

Comment

Dina undercooked and/or not fully fit so doesn't make the 100m final, edged out by fellow Brit Daryll Neita as last qualifier by a millisecond.

Comment

Would Sha’Carri Richardson have beaten these Jamaicans? It seems debatable. Her PB is 10.72 but she ran 10.86 at the trials. Fraser-Pryce ran 10.63 in Kingston on June 5th.

Comment

Dendy jumping with a reverse baseball cap. Not sure I've seen that before.

Comment

We recently mentioned Pietro Mennea. Marcell Jacobs (Italy) is now 0.07 secs ahead of him in 100m, having run 9.94 today, but that's over a span of 42 years. These were Italy's all-times before today:

https://www.worldathletics.org/recor...Day=2021-07-30

This is the European progression:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27...rd_progression
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-07-2021, 11:18.

Comment

De Grasse lays down a 9.91. Nigerian seems very unlucky to have been disqualified.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-07-2021, 11:42.

Comment

When did the 100m introduce a preliminary round to get rid of the no-hopers? Seems harsh to not let them all race against the top competitors.

Comment

Asher Smith has a hamstring injury apparently and has now pulled out of the 200

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Asher Smith has a hamstring injury apparently and has now pulled out of the 200
                                              The BBC interview where she announced this wasn't easy watching, they should really have cut it short.

Comment

GB has got all 3 of its entrants into the women's 800m final. Impressive (and I think one was a reserve).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

The BBC interview where she announced this wasn't easy watching, they should really have cut it short.
                                                  I would often agree but it did appear that she was the one who wanted the interview to inform people of her situation and it was clearly with an interviewer who is a trusted friend.

Tore the hamstring three or four weeks ago and was a major doubt to appear at the Games at all, it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                    GB has got all 3 of its entrants into the women's 800m final. Impressive (and I think one was a reserve).
                                                    The most impressive of which, Keely Hodgkinson, seems to have come from nowhere this year at 19 years old.

I have to qualify that by saying I haven't managed to get to an athletics meeting for over two years for obvious reasons and, as I've previously complained about, the BBC have buried their coverage of it outside major championships in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X