No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need a broader base than just the national development programme given the breadth and depth of the competition. The club scene is sort of weird. Philly is very strong, but Penn, Drexel and Temple are not. Boston is the reverse. Working more on smaller boats would also help.

Comment

A friend of mine who fenced for Yale now does single rowing in Lawrence, MA.

Are there singles and doubles in college rowing?

Comment

No, not even fours.

Intercollegiate rowing in the US is entirely eights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          The actual mass of the medal haul would be interesting too. Gold is nearly twice as dense as silver and silver is just a bit denser than bronze.
          Gold metals are more than 90% silver, with just a layer of gold plate on the outside. 1912 was the last games at which solid gold medals were presented.

Comment

What a crock!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              No, not even fours.

Intercollegiate rowing in the US is entirely eights.
              Oh, I thought there were fours.

Lightweight crew is a thing in college too, right? That could be in the Olympics maybe.

Comment

Not in your typical dual or triple regatta.
                The Tokyo games included lightweight double sculls for both men and women, which is a somewhat unusual choice.

I rowed in some lightweight eights. As with all sports where "making weight" is a thing, the process is not a healthy one.

Comment

I thought they added weight to the boats to make them even and so there was less incentive to be too light. But I guess if you were borderline to make the individual maximum weight, it could be unhealthy.

Comment

That was exactly my situation.

There is an absolute upper limit for any member of the crew, and it wasn't very healthy for me to rrwch that number.

Comment

There was one member of the US women’s weightlifting team having to lift in a group maybe 10kg above her regular weight. The way allocations of qualifying spots etc are allocated in weight lifting is probably the first area they need to reform to try and put the category in a better light.

Comment

Did the middleweight boxing between Sousa and Khyzhniak get a mention anywhere?

Crazy, remarkable match. Khyzhniak, who just keeps coming like the Terminator, won the first two rounds clearly and unanimously. He could have taken the last round off, but elected to keep coming forward, and was knocked out half the way through the final round.

Khyzhniak hadn't lost for a year, and Sousa had barely been able to stay in the ring for the first two rounds.

Comment

I saw something that suggested the IOC may kick out Boxing, because of rampant corruption, and Weightlifting, for rampant doping.

Is that really likely?

Comment

It seems to be more likely than it has been before, in part because certain decisions have been devolved to the Executive Committee, which is more difficult for those federations to manipulate than the IOC as a whole.

Comment

The IOC stopped recoginising the International Amateur Boxing Association/AIBA in 2019 because of corruption and dodgy judging. And at one point there was a distinct possibility that boxing could be chucked out.

I believe the IOC themselves ran the boxing in this Olympic cycle, and I think they had some sort of task force in place to make it happen. The referring was fairly decent, and the judging impressively consistent in the Olympics tournament itself. It's shown professional boxing the way actually.

Comment

Displaying the judges' cards after each round is a major step forward, methinks.

Comment

Yeah, seems to have worked well. Olympic boxing has gone through some strange phases, with individual punches scored, and computer scoring at one point too. That led to all kinds of oddities.

I believe they brought a task force in, perhaps from gymnastics, and they sacked every single person who judged in Rio 2016, or something like that.

Comment

As documented above and in years gone by I've had major problems with judging in previous Olympics and Commonwealths Boxing - all under the aegis of the AIBA.

I didn't see as much of the sport in this year's games (I struggle with it more than most disciplines without a crowd) but what I did catch had no contentious calls at all which was refreshing.

I caught some discussion of the IOC's takeover of the administration this Games but need to dig more in to what they did and how it might be a model for other bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                      Did the middleweight boxing between Sousa and Khyzhniak get a mention anywhere?

Crazy, remarkable match. Khyzhniak, who just keeps coming like the Terminator, won the first two rounds clearly and unanimously. He could have taken the last round off, but elected to keep coming forward, and was knocked out half the way through the final round.

Khyzhniak hadn't lost for a year, and Sousa had barely been able to stay in the ring for the first two rounds.
                                      I didn't see it at the time but having watched on youtube: referee stopped it too early?

Comment

Another way of looking at it is that Khyzhniak got up to his feet way too quickly, was clearly all over the place, forcing the ref to stop the fight so he didn't immediately suffer unnecessary punishment. Maybe he could have given him a few more seconds, but equally the boxer could (and should) havestayed down for a few seconds to try and recover.

There's been a few other decisions at the olympics that could be seen as contentious, such as the French boxer disqualified for use of the head, but as Ray alludes to, I don't think there's been anything that generated any real controversy, which is remarkable.

Comment

GB's Silver in the Men's 4x100 may be in jeopardy

https://twitter.com/aiu_athletics/status/1425859333783494658?s=21

Comment

Maybe he doped himself, after the race, to make Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake feel better

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                              Another way of looking at it is that Khyzhniak got up to his feet way too quickly, was clearly all over the place, forcing the ref to stop the fight so he didn't immediately suffer unnecessary punishment. Maybe he could have given him a few more seconds, but equally the boxer could (and should) havestayed down for a few seconds to try and recover.
                                              Yes, fair point. Is the standing 8 count still in force?

He could haave stayed down, but that's always a risky call and not necessarily one which the boxer is able to make.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                GB's Silver in the Men's 4x100 may be in jeopardy

https://twitter.com/aiu_athletics/status/1425859333783494658?s=21
                                                This is obviously a mistake. We don't dope. That's what the others do.

Comment

The Italian press is unsurprisingly beside themselves with this after what they considered unfair and unfounded insinuations about Italy's sprinters from a number of English hacks

Comment

As is the most prominent of those sprinters ;

Italy's Lamont Marcell Jacobs, who claimed a shock Olympic 100m gold, said on Friday that the suspension of Britain's Ujah "makes me smile a little".

"A week ago they said so many things about me that were not true, and they have the relay runner with a positive result in their own backyard," he added.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X