Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope she takes the time she needs.

Going by the American media, it was fait accompli that the US women were going to win gold and Biles would win gold in her individual events. I was wondering how helpful any of that was, and if she was able to tune that out--in Rio, she was known among gymnastics people, but wasn't the superstar that she is now.

A lot of blame on gymnastics Twitter being put on the US director Tom Forster, who simply picked a 4-person team with the top 4 average scorers rather than selecting competitors based on their strengths in individual events. The thinking was that Biles was best in all no matter what, so the rest of the team sort of picked itself.

This is the definition of hubris:

https://twitter.com/thegymterdotnet/status/1409351991931904001
    Last edited by Incandenza; 27-07-2021, 13:30.

Comment

The softball coverage on the BBC Red Button has American commentary. It doesn't really work, too many of the idioms ('slugging percentage') are unfamiliar.

Comment

How much softball or baseball have you watched?

Those terms belong to the sport. It would be like an American complaining about overs or strike rate.

Comment

Not much, aside from one trip to the States, and I probably chose the wrong term to highlight. But it's really hard to understand. I think I'd rather have at least one voice from the UK who's involved in the sport in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

They're playing at the BayStars stadium though, so somebody's gotta go on a big road trip, why not the Swallows.
            A fair question and my best guess is that Imperial Household Agency still has some say over the use of Meiji Jingu

Comment

There was softball on the red button? I had to find an NBC stream online, I couldn't find anything.

USA scored 9 runs in 6 games, that wasn't gonna get it done.

Comment

I would guess that Discovery had a Euro or Antipodean Anglo voice The issue with Been is again the limits on their rights

Comment

Yeah, they're showing the final now. To be fair, they're just used the phrase 'legging it', of which I approve.

Comment

By the way, the attempts at "US friendly" cricket commentary that I have heard have been horrible beyond belief

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                      Not much, aside from one trip to the States, and I probably chose the wrong term to highlight. But it's really hard to understand. I think I'd rather have at least one voice from the UK who's involved in the sport in some way.
                      Team GB was actually one game away from qualifying for women's softball, although knowing some of the players you might struggle to find a Brit who actually talks like one, and not an American/Australian/Canadian.

Comment

The red button softball commentary is the same as the eurosport one, as with (e.g.) the weightlifting one I guess it's the international english-language feed? The weightlfiting ones are the same ones from Rio.

Comment

The issue of rights and the Beeb has been a subject of so much discussion here. There is, it must be said, absolutely tonnes of it on the BBC, both on live broadcast and iPlayer, but it's just not always shown live or complete.

Comment

On the red button now, this isn't the NBC commentary. I detect a slight Canadian accent so I'm thinking CBC as the Beeb leaned quite a bit on the CBC in 2018.

Comment

Oops, sorry if it was Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                Oops, sorry if it was Canadian.
                                Canadian ought to be relatively easy to pick out on Baseball/Softball commentary given the number of times that there is a need to use the word "out"

Comment

In the football, the Netherlands scored 21 goals in their 3 games. That's...a lot

Comment

One could also not have helped noticing the blatant bias by the NBC announcers, including referring to US players by their first names.

I can't imagine a neutral broadcaster taking a NBC feed of any event in which the US was competing for medals.

Comment

How straight are the softball pitchers arms? Could it pass for bowling? It doesn't look like a throwing action.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Hope she takes the time she needs.

Going by the American media, it was fait accompli that the US women were going to win gold and Biles would win gold in her individual events. I was wondering how helpful any of that was, and if she was able to tune that out--in Rio, she was known among gymnastics people, but wasn't the superstar that she is now.

A lot of blame on gymnastics Twitter being put on the US director Tom Forster, who simply picked a 4-person team with the top 4 average scorers rather than selecting competitors based on their strengths in individual events. The thinking was that Biles was best in all no matter what, so the rest of the team sort of picked itself.

This is the definition of hubris:

https://twitter.com/thegymterdotnet/status/1409351991931904001
                                        USA Gymnastics is not exactly a tight ship at the moment.

That's too bad. She's still among the greatest ever.

Comment

Biles says mental health issues did force her to withdraw:

"There were a couple of days when everybody tweets you and you feel the weight of the world"

I've mentioned this before, but why on earth does anyone at the top of their game of any sport/art/business pay any attention to Twitter? A place where sofa-sitting-twat-head can spout uneducated, vile bollocks from the safety of online anonymity? If you're earning a living from something you love, just sack that nonsense off and enjoy the fruits of your hard earned work and talent. Pick up the phone, delete your Twitter account, enjoy the freedom it brings (however, Twitter is pretty good for keeping up with non-league football, so maybe create your own anonymous account to find out what's going on in the Essex Senior League or what not).

Surely there are psychiatrists out there working with elite sports teams, musicians, actors, models, authors who can just make them see, it is worthless garbage spewed from lesser mortals?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            One could also not have helped noticing the blatant bias by the NBC announcers, including referring to US players by their first names.

I can't imagine a neutral broadcaster taking a NBC feed of any event in which the US was competing for medals.
                                            I find this is almost exclusively an issue in women's sports.* It comes off as patronizing, even when it's women doing it.

*Except in the cases where the player's first name is a brand - Shaq, Kobi, Lebron, Giannis - and/or Brazillian.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                              (however, Twitter is pretty good for keeping up with non-league football, so maybe create your own anonymous account to find out what's going on in the Essex Senior League or what not).
                                              She totally should be doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                So, is it (if I've calculated correctly)

Brazil v Canada
                                                GB v Australia
                                                Netherlands vs USA
                                                Sweden v Japan
                                                Yes. Netherlands v USA is conveniently timed for US breakfast (7 am EST), and looks tough to call (maybe the USA's tournament experience will swing it?)

Comment

The feed of the women's team gymnastics final that the BBC were showing earlier specifically put, under each competitor's name, "age: 18" or "age:16". Do they do that with the men? It was rather creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                                    Biles says mental health issues did force her to withdraw:

"There were a couple of days when everybody tweets you and you feel the weight of the world"

I've mentioned this before, but why on earth does anyone at the top of their game of any sport/art/business pay any attention to Twitter? A place where sofa-sitting-twat-head can spout uneducated, vile bollocks from the safety of online anonymity? If you're earning a living from something you love, just sack that nonsense off and enjoy the fruits of your hard earned work and talent. Pick up the phone, delete your Twitter account, enjoy the freedom it brings (however, Twitter is pretty good for keeping up with non-league football, so maybe create your own anonymous account to find out what's going on in the Essex Senior League or what not).

Surely there are psychiatrists out there working with elite sports teams, musicians, actors, models, authors who can just make them see, it is worthless garbage spewed from lesser mortals?
                                                    Good questions.
                                                    But young stars - in any field - are under tremendous pressure from "their people" to "promote their brand" on social media and "engage with the fans."
                                                    Especially women. That's hard to overstate.
                                                    If Biles got off of all SM, she'd be called a "diva" and Pepsi or whomever the fuck would call USAG or her manager and tell her she needs to be more "proactive" and "likeable."

If Lebron did that, he'd just be commended for being "focused."

There's tremendous pressure on young women to be role models for girls and to therefore be outgoing and gracious. That's what sells.
                                                    For men's sports, the narrative is largely set by middle-aged or old guys who don't give a shit what kind of person an athlete is one way or the other as long as they win.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X