• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

SanB: "I have no idea how my local minor league team did this year overall"
    UA: "They ceased operations"
    Which team was that?

Do you mean Lowell? Didn't they get reborn in a summer college league?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Terrific post
      Yes, 100%

Once again, thanks so much for the education provided on this thread, I think the guidance on American sports is one of the best things I've experienced in 2 decades of posting on otf.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

What state does he live in?

That's a very Pittsburgh thing. In fact, for a long time, there was no actual state final in football (or several other sports) because the powers that be in the western part of the state couldn't agree with the powers that be in the eastern part of the state on how to do it.

Now they do, sort of, but it's a Byzantine system of overlapping leagues, district and regional championships and they playoffs go on for way too long and it just becomes a battle of attrition and the band and cheerleader parents start to quietly root for their school's team to lose so their kids' seasons can end too.
        Indiana. I came back on the Saturday night when Notre Dame and Oklahoma's games were on. He was sat there yelling at the Division 6A final (Center Grove v Westfield), a game he had absolutely no reason to be watching based on family, affiliations or anything.

Comment

That’s hardcore.

Indiana is known for HS basketball, of course, but I imagine HS football is intense there too.

I can’t imagine watching high school football on TV for more than a few minutes unless I knew somebody involved.

Comment

You and me both. The only one he might have a justifiable reason to watch is the 2A, which is the division of the school all their kids and a few grandkids went to. Though if they were playing he would have gone to the Dome (which is actually the Lucas Oil, but old phrasing lives on)

Comment

It isn't hard to understand why ms dglh left her home state

Comment

Or at least that she married someone somewhat distant from such behaviors.

Comment

Just got tix for Fins-Jets Dec 19th in the Hard Rock Stadium.

(Flying Eastern Airlines....yes....repeat.....Eastern "It's a Small World After All" Airlines from ASU-MIA. Landing in MIA at 6:30 am. Taking my talents to South Beach to stay in an Art Deco special, then getting to the Hard Rock Stadium to cheer the Fins against Mark "Passing" Gastineau and "One Eye" Wesley Walker and Cunt O'Brien and Richie Cunttite and Neil "Throw 3 interceptions to the other team" Big Teeth O'Donnell and that Hess Dude Who Thought Neil O'Donnell and Richie Kotite Would Be The Ones To Deliver A Title Before He Became Worm Food and the scumbag Weak Island Shea Stadium Shitbag fans of the New York Aircrash Investigations.)

GO TUA.

Comment

If you are flying Eastern, his first name should be spelled Twa

Comment

HAHAHHAHAH

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                        Just got tix for Fins-Jets Dec 19th in the Hard Rock Stadium.

(Flying Eastern Airlines....yes....repeat.....Eastern "It's a Small World After All" Airlines from ASU-MIA. Landing in MIA at 6:30 am. Taking my talents to South Beach to stay in an Art Deco special, then getting to the Hard Rock Stadium to cheer the Fins against Mark "Passing" Gastineau and "One Eye" Wesley Walker and Cunt O'Brien and Richie Cunttite and Neil "Throw 3 interceptions to the other team" Big Teeth O'Donnell and that Hess Dude Who Thought Neil O'Donnell and Richie Kotite Would Be The Ones To Deliver A Title Before He Became Worm Food and the scumbag Weak Island Shea Stadium Shitbag fans of the New York Aircrash Investigations.)

GO TUA.
                        So who do you want to win then?

Comment

Dan Marino - Don Shula - Hook & Ladder - The Team I Won $2 against Tracy Hansen When I Bet On The Fins Against Richard Toad in the Mud Bowl 1982 AFC Championship.

Comment

I like that Gen X is feeling their oats and throwing our hefty weight around....Beto is running for Gov....USFL is back....Eddie Vedder has a new album....uh, that's about it.

Comment

Hilarious that Iggles radio has a running snapcount of Carson Wentz, because if he takes 75% of the snapcounts the Iggles will receive a 1st round pick from the Colts instead of a 2nd.

Wentz up 24-0 on the Texcan'ts, and the Colts are back in the playoff mix.

Comment

The Colts are a pretty good side this year with Wentz and a running game. Unless there is an injury there is little doubt that Wentz will clear 75%, particularly as they are in the running.

Comment

The Detroit Lions have won a football game. No winless teams this season.

Comment

Lions!

Is that peak Vikings?

Comment

https://twitter.com/seifertespn/status/1468046913291182081?s=21

Comment

I saw this morning that they had 3 passes last night. I'm guessing (I've not seen) it was dreadful weather in Buffalo last night then?

Comment

Cold and windy with some flurries, but not at all extreme by Buffalo (or New England) standards in winter

Comment

There were 50mph wind gusts, I think. Enough to make long passes tricky. But Buffalo has a moderately functional short-pass game going. I think it was pretty much a downfield wind which meant that for two of the quarters you were going to be pretty limited in what you did. For the other two I think there's no really good excuse - although maybe you don't need an excuse if you win?

Comment

A touch windy.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1468006691790897154?s=20

Comment

The Buffalo QB actually worked out in the 4th quarter that he could throw to his left side pretty accurately, because it was directly into the wind. But by the time he had worked that out, it was too late.

I really enjoyed the game, tactically it was a masterclass from New England and another lesson for me as an emerging fan of American Football. Basically, it's not a one-man sport - all about the quarter-back, as I ignorantly thought prior to this year. If you haven't got a running game, you haven't got a game. As the Titans prove without Derrick Henry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  That’s hardcore.

Indiana is known for HS basketball, of course, but I imagine HS football is intense there too.

I can’t imagine watching high school football on TV for more than a few minutes unless I knew somebody involved.
                                                  I watched some High School softball on TV the other day, just because. I think I lasted 10 minutes.

Comment

Top flight women's college softball can be a compelling game in the US (though I am a baseball tragic, so adjust your levels accordingly).

Men's recreational slo-pitch softball is generally excruciating to watch, though fun to play (it serving the same social purpose as five-a-side football in many parts of the country).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X