Golf at the next games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf at the next games

The IOC have voted to include golf in the next games, and Brazil is already building its Olympic golf course. In 2016, the games will feature 60 men and 60 women, competing in 72-hole strokeplay events.

Some thoughts:

1. Does the Olympic Games "need" golf? Actually, I don't see why not. It's a sport that doesn't demand genetic abnormality or superhuman strength to be successful, unlike some, and also one that doesn't have a history of cheating and drug-taking. Well, not on the course, anyway. Some people will still question golf's accessibility, but I bet more kids can buy a set of second-hand clubs and visit a driving range than go along to their nearest modern pentathlon club. Furthermore, it will certainly tick those modern Olympic ideals, ticketus, sponsorus, televisus.

2. Does golf "need" the Olympic games? This is trickier. For the top professionals like Rory McIlroy and Yani Tseng who will compete, the answer is almost certainly not, in terms of anything other than personal pride in becoming an Olympian and winning a medal - golf, like tennis, already has its Grand Slam events. Actually, though, at the junior level, many countries (including the UK) only distribute state development funds to sports that are in the Olympics. Golf doesn't have access to any such funding at present, from now on it will. Talented junior players in the UK may benefit from lottery funding, for example, rather than needing to follow the Luke Donald route of going to an American college to develop their game.

3. Will the event "matter" to players and fans, as much as say a major? I think it will slightly more in the women's game, only because more people will see who won the women's golf at the Olympics than ever watch the Women's US Open. For the men, whose existing majors get saturation coverage already, the planned event (a 60-man field made up of the world's top 15 plus the leading players from the next [x] countries to make up the number) will be nowhere near as strong as a major, or even a WGC event, but assuming the top 15 all show up, it will still be a decent one. It will be interesting if golfers start talking about needing to do this and that to get into the Olympics (Ernie Els's recent Open win, for example, lifted him into the world's top 15, and if I'm understanding the qualifying rules correctly, would have denied Louis Oosthuizen his Olympic spot as South Africa's rep outside the top 15. Will commentators make something of that in four years?). What I also wonder is whether the timing is off - the Olympic golf is likely to fall the week before the USPGA (unless they push the latter back), and that's an event some of the pros are likely to be thinking more about. All the pros interviewed about it have been hugely enthusiastic, saying it will be as important to them as any of the majors (the same seems to be true for the tennis guys) but I think the proof will only be in the pudding.

4. What about the format? Quite a few people (myself included) thought the opportunity was obvious to move away from the 72-hole strokeplay format and make Olympic golf matchplay, with 64-strong fields. This was apparently considered in some depth, but golf decided against it - two reasons I heard were firstly that matchplay runs the risk of three-quarters of the countries invited having no interest after the first couple of rounds, and also, simply, that "72 holes is golf's 100m. You don't ask Usain Bolt to run his event backwards just because it might make it more 'interesting'". I'm not sure I agree with either of these arguments. Firstly, back in the day, the old Dunhill Cup provided plenty of "OMG" matchplay moments (I remember Scotland losing to Paraguay) which (even if rare) would surely enhance, rather than diminish, the Olympics for those countries whose competitors are likely to be shooting 80s every day; and secondly, matchplay golf is the oldest, most exciting, and purest, form of golf, and one sadly underused. The other 4 majors are all at strokeplay, and yes, strokeplay can lead to 7 or 8 players all tussling for victory on the last day whereas matchplay by definition restricts interest to two, but I still think matchplay could make the Olympics special.

Golf at the next games

It will be good, the Olympics needs more good sports. Like with tennis, the players will care by virtue of the fact it's only once every four years and they have so few opportunities to win it.

Even though the slams are more important in tennis, it's hard to believe that Federer, Djokovic and Murray aren't desperate to win the tennis. Djokovic cried when he won his bronze medal playoff last time.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Seven Saxon Kings wrote: Even though the slams are more important in tennis, it's hard to believe that Federer, Djokovic and Murray aren't desperate to win the tennis. Djokovic cried when he won his bronze medal playoff last time.
      This is true, but it's quite specific to those players particular circumstances. Federer and Djokovic because it's missing from their CV and they won't get many chances to add it, Murray because it's a home event. Serena's attitude is probably similar on the Women's side, but I suspect the rest of the Singles draws are thinking that it would be nice to win and no more than that.
      On the other hand, the number of Tennis players asked to carry the flag at the opening cermony (eight in total) does suggest that their presence at the Games matters to their countries. Once that is happening, it tends to beconme two-way. Tennis players and golfers might have a flag next to their name in Slams, but it's clear they are presenting themselves first and their countries somewhat after. In an Olympics that order isn't as clear.

Comment

Golf at the next games

This is true, but it's quite specific to those players particular circumstances. Federer and Djokovic because it's missing from their CV and they won't get many chances to add it
        That was kind of my point though, it will always be that way. You get 16 chances to win a major for every chance you get at the Olympics. For Woods, it will be the one thing missing from his CV just as it's the one thing missing from Federer's.

Comment

Golf at the next games

It's a good thing in that ordinary people can get to the course and watch some Olympics. It's a bad thing in the sense that golf sometimes emanates a selfish culture and is thus as far from the Olympic ideal as you can get.

Comment

Golf at the next games

The current thinking of "Professional sportsmen in the Olympics is a bad thing" is a bit of a misnomer, really. Although the original Olympic ethos disputes it, there's no prize money involved. Therefore the Olympics, if it is to survive, should be embracing mainstream sports through a global showcase of sports performers at the pinnacle of the game. Because of professionalism in most sports now, the Olympics can't afford to be too picky really.

So golf has a place, because it's a massively global sport.

Saw an argument recently for American Football to be included, on account of it's global appeal and the fact there are now the required 50 national gridiron associations formed and developing. Give it a few decades yet, I'd say, to gauge the actual development of these associations.

Re: The format - I, instinctively, think a 36 hole shootout as individuals, and a 36-hole pairs competition, as two seperate medal chances. Original, gives it a unique identity.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Bring it on. If 10 meter air rifle is an Olympic sport then golf is like a marathon.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Any sport that involves "Artistic Merit" in it's final score, or relies purely on a judge's interpretation of technique (as opposed to hitting/achieving targets) deserve it less than 10 metre air rifle.

Comment

Golf at the next games

It is the age-old question of what constitutes sport or athletics I guess. Obviously these shooters are talented, but is standing 10 meters away in a quiet, still indoor building shooting a perfectly balanced rifle w/ zero kick w/ a high powered sight at a stationary target athletic? Biathlon - different story. Hell, skeet shooting is at least outdoors and the target is moving.

At least shooting an arrow is at least a bit more organic, though today's bows look like they leave little for chance.

"artistic merit" is often b.s., but one can't deny the competitors (snowboarders, gymnasts, etc.) are true athletes.

Comment

Golf at the next games

They're true athletes, but are they true sports? Are they in direct competition against their opponents? Or are they in competition against the interpretation of judges more?

I identify what you say about the modification of equipment in shooting and archery, but they are still using their bodies to shoot at the same target without any potential for prejudice of interpretation from judges, innate or otherwise.

Shouldn't have started this discussion so late at night, as I don't want to be up all night having it, even thought it's one that I can spend hours on - sorry.

Comment

Golf at the next games

you make good points - now get some well-deserved z's!

Comment

Golf at the next games

Comparing Olympic tennis with Olympic golf, of course you can but bottom line is that it, golf, might not be very... Olympic, in lack of a better word.

If you look at tennis, the spread between nations when you look at the 200 best ranked players is much different to that of golf.

I'm no expert on golf but if you'd look at the spread between nations among the 200 best ranked golf players you'd have, what?
                        USA, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia making up, what, 95%? Then the odd Swede, Dane, Spaniard, Japanese.

Presuming that each nation will be able to compete with a maximum amount of players, that it will not follow world ranking position, it will become quite ridiculous if of those 60 men only, say, two from each nation are allowed.
                        You'll have forty Eddie the Eagle, or that bloke from Africa who swam and almost drowned, or that woman from Madagascar who ran 400m barefoot just a few years ago, started the race standing up rather than down in the starting blocks and finnished about an hour after the rest had crossed the finnish line.

And if you go by world ranking only to fill those 60 spots, it's not Olympic games, is it?

Comment

Golf at the next games

Looking at the rankings, in the men's game, there may only be 4 different nations represented in the top 15 at the moment (GB, USA, Australia and South Africa) but in the top 150 you also have golfers from Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Belgium, Korea, Denmark, Ireland, Japan, Fiji, India, Austria, Holland, France, Zimbabwe, Argentina, Thailand and Venezuala. Furthermore, as recent big championships have shown, pretty much any of those guys could, on their day, win - Jeev Milka Singh, India's top golfer, won the Scottish Open the week before the Open Championship in a playoff with Molinari the Italian. So while you're right that there may end up being a number of players in the field with genuinely no chance of winning, there's probably more who have a chance of getting on the podium at least than in some other events, like most of the track and field ones.

Comment

Golf at the next games

When you look at some of the absolute nobodies who have won golf majors, I'm sure players outside the top 100 will be capable of winning. More so than tennis in fact, where one of the top 3 seeds must have close to a 90% chance of winning.

Comment

Golf at the next games

It used to be the case that the Olympics should be the most prestigious thing you can win in your sport. That criterion seems to have gone out the window.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Never mind golf, what about mini golf (or 'crazy' golf, as we unsophisticated Brits still prefer)? Now there's a sport to make the Olympics sexy again.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Mini-golf is, improbably, quite a big sport in Northern Europe:

Tilting at Windmills by Andy Miller

Comment

Golf at the next games

For what it's worth the sports vying for entry for 2016 were: Baseball, softball (both omitted post Beijing), karate, squash, golf, wake boarding, roller sports, and rugby union. Golf and sevens were approved.

I think it's bonkers that squash isn't in there, and am also quite surprised that netball isn't included (because it's typically only played by one sex? Although that's true of synchronised swimming).

Comment

Golf at the next games

Rory McIlroy's come out and declared that he will represent Ireland (not Team GB) at the Olympic golf in Rio.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Rogin the Kitten Minder wrote: Some people will still question golf's accessibility, but I bet more kids can buy a set of second-hand clubs and visit a driving range than go along to their nearest modern pentathlon club.
                                        In the UK certainly, but not where I live or, I suspect, in most other countries. There's a lovely golf course right round the corner from me, but unless you can afford the membership fee, which is several thousand euros a year, it's off limits. There's no pitch and putt for 50p round here either.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Munich seemed to have a golfing apparel shop on every corner.

Comment

Golf at the next games

Oh, there's plenty of golf going on, but it costs a fortune to play it. Unfortunately, its main selling point in this country is its exclusiveness. It's played as a lifestyle accessory rather than a sport.

Comment

Golf at the next games

I've just had a mental count down the current world rankings, to work out what the Olympic field would look like if it were being played this year. Only America would have the maximum 4 players (you can have from 2 to 4 if they're in the top 15), 23 other countries would have 2 entrants and 10 countries would have a single competitor. The 60-man field would be completed by someone called Lima, from Portugal, who is world no. 308.

Does the field for the tennis go that deep down the world rankings?

Comment

Golf at the next games

It would seem so. Complex system.

Comment

Working...
                                                X