Roland Garros 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roland Garros 2021

Is only two weeks off, so I will start a thread in which to bemoan the fact that Halep suffered an injury yesterday while a set up to Kerber in Rome, and will almost certainly not be going to Paris. And with that much of my interest in the event goes out the window.

Are there more qualifiers in the draw than usual? Zverev (no 6 seed) will meet one in the first round and is guaranteed to meet another in the second round (as a further two are drawn together in that match). That's also the section that includes British main hope no. 25 seed Dan Evans.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-05-2021, 16:25.

Comment

French Open 2021: Naomi Osaka faces default from Grand Slam for refusing to speak to media - BBC Sport

Osaka is not going to come out of this well unless she wises up a bit.

Comment

I don't agree with this take (nor the organisers). If Osaka thinks that talking to the media is damaging to her health, then the public and the organisers should respect that.

Osaka turns out to be eloquent and intelligent in interviews but most interviews and press conferences by sportspeople offer nothing of value to the public, while the presence of someone like Osaka on the court offers a huge amount. Kicking her out for not giving rote answers to the same questions is way more damaging to the competition than having her compete but mute, and forcing her to damage her mental health is obviously just plain rotten..

Comment

Screw the organisers.

Comment

Doing press conferences immediately after the game obviously causes her distress, and not just her either. You only had to see the Serena Williams one a couple of years back. Why make somebody do something just to please sponsors and hacks and get internet hits?
            Also there seems to be a distinct lack of solidarity amongst the players, so screw them selfish fuckers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
              French Open 2021: Naomi Osaka faces default from Grand Slam for refusing to speak to media - BBC Sport

Osaka is not going to come out of this well unless she wises up a bit.
              Do you mean that this is a battle that she'll lose, or that you don't think people will approve of her stance? As it reads like the latter, which seems like an odd take to me, but then people elected Johnson and Trump, amongst others so what do I know of how people in general think.

Comment

https://twitter.com/naomiosaka/status/1399422304854188037

Comment

https://twitter.com/jameelajamil/status/1399429813962690560

Comment

There are many racial, ethnic, and gender aspects to this. I admire her tenacity in not just bowing to the authorities like Asian women are "supposed" to do. The sport needs to be reformed so athletes are protected from the vultures who demand public exposure of every private thought and vulnerability after a performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      The sport needs to be reformed so athletes are protected from the vultures who demand public exposure of every private thought and vulnerability after a performance.
                      The "fans", you mean? The ones paying to watch the interviews? The ones glorying in just that? Yes, let's go back to a set-piece interview away from the cameras that will only be published in tomorrow's newspapers. And then see how much Sky, or BT Sport, or ESPN will pay.

I'm playing devil's advocate, but you can see what I mean. They don't get paid €2m for winning at Roland Garros JUST for winning a few tennis matches.

Comment

I have sympathy for both sides of this arguement. Clearly if Osaka is suffering from anxiety attacks and depression then this has to be taken seriously and not just assumed that she is trying to gain an advantage on others.

However, everyone knows that no player wants to do press conferences after a loss, which Osaka said was like a kick when you are down. If they allow Osaka to miss that part of the tournament then they know everyone will refuse to speak to the media after a loss.

The TV companies and journalists will claim that they are the ones who broadcast these players around the World making them rich and famous. People do love to assume that money and popularity should make anxiety and depression disappear.

What is the compromise? I am not sure one can be found. Either Osaka wins and losing media conferences are over or the Grand Slams win and Osaka doesn't play in them.

Comment

I would estimate that less than one percent of "media availabilities" produce any content of interest

Comment

The Grand Slams' original explanation was that it would be unfair to let some players skip promotional obligations just because they're better players. That sounds reasonable. It's not too much to ask professional athletes to do whatever is in their CBA or contract, any more than its not too much to include press responsibilities in an an actor's deal for a film. Nobody wants to do press during a competition.*

But I suspect that something could be worked out going forward to make these requirements a bit more flexible while still being fair to all players. And she is definitely right that it's "outdated." Anyone who believes press conferences are still the most important avenue for athletes to connect to the public isn't living in 21st century.

I don't see why this requires a boycott right now.** unless the Slams double-down on their rigid policies and show no willingness to address the issue going forward.

I don't get the sense that this was really about the press conference for Osaka. If she's not feeling well, then just skipping the press conferences is not going to be enough for her to get well, let alone make a deep run in the tournament.

* Except hockey players, who have, collectively, developed a pile of stock cliches and are happy to talk even between periods. I'm not sure what the tennis equivalent is of "We just got to get four lines banging and get pucks in deep" is, but maybe they can work on those. Nobody learns anything, but it's a comfortable routine for everyone involved.

**I'm not sure how I feel about Jameela Jamil. I guess she means well, but she's a bit self-promotional for my taste.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 31-05-2021, 19:18.

Comment

What everyone will learn from Osaka that being interesting creates problems and the safe way to get through media obligations is to answer all questions in a completely safe and neutral way so you don't ever have to engage the emotional side of your brain and instead give the same pre-learned safe rote responses that everyone else gives. If the media don't give some leeway to the likes of Osaka (or Nick Kyrgios, for that matter) you're going to end up with a bunch of people who give sponsor-safe comments about how they gave 100% but are disappointed to have been the second best player on the day, and you'll end up with a much worse product over all.

Comment

Also playing Devil's Advocate: would she have pulled out if this were the US Open? She's not greatly keen on the French slam. But my true feeling is that there is a cultural/psychological burden on a Japanese-American player that does require her to be given special consideration, and it might actually be racist and sexist of organizers to pretend all players are equally burdened in this regard.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-05-2021, 19:21.

Comment

Given her description of her mental state, I'm confident that she would have

Comment

Fair enough, and her tweet supports that. Her frankness is of a person at the end of her tether.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      I would estimate that less than one percent of "media availabilities" produce any content of interest
                                      Well this has already generated more media interest and content even on this thread than, I predict, anything up to and including the ladies singles semi-finals.

Comment

In large part because she has chosen to speak in her own voice, on her own terms and not through any formulaic bullshit designed to facilitate the sale of more adverts

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Well this has already generated more media interest and content even on this thread than, I predict, anything up to and including the ladies singles semi-finals.
                                          As it should, it's an issue that transcends all sport and is of far more importance than sport. For example I have almost no interest in tennis whatsoever, but I realise that this issue has significance across all sport and beyond. You only need to look at post match interviews with managers immediately after football matches which have the sole intention of getting a controversial response from someone who is really not in the best frame of mind to give it.

Comment

I don't want to say she has called their bluff as that sounds like it is calculated. To use a tennis phrase, the ball has now landed on the organisers side of the court.

If it had been someone like Ostapenko or Diyas making such a stand, I doubt it would have made a ripple. However, the most marketable player on the ladies side in the sport pulling out will really test their resolute stance.

Some lower ranked players will probably snipe that its a case of a big name wanting it their own way but Osaka will say mental health can affect the number 1 player or the player ranked 1000.

The Grand Slams might say that the ordinary person in the stand phones in sick if they have mental health issues. Osaka is free to exercise that right and can return when she feels ready.

In the simplest terms, she is under no obligation to play and no doubt twitter will be awash with stuff like that but that is narrow minded. This is her career, her passion and what she has been successful at in her young life. The last thing anyone wants is Osaka suffering because she feels pressured into doing things she doesn't want to do.

Comment

Clearly the hostility she faces for being a non-white woman who is vocal about her support for Black Lives Matter plays a part in this.

Why should Osaka should have to face this kind of bullshit?

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1399318466570731521?s=20

https://twitter.com/PaulbernalUK/status/1399437923737554944?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/lynnjohnstonlit/status/1399453539357835275?s=20

Comment

It is still very awkward for the organisers. They are not the boss of Osaka. Its their job to put on a tournament and ensure that it is a level playing field for all. If they allow Osaka to refuse then they will be accused of favouring the big name.

Why didn't they just allow her to keep paying a fine over and over instead of threatening her with expulsion? Did they do this because not all players have the money to keep paying fines without worrying about the financial hit?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X